It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Lawmakers Propose Change to Religious-Freedom Law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Indiana Lawmakers Propose Change to Religious-Freedom Law

So it looks like Indiana's lawmakers have added a change to the law to make sure a business cannot use religious reasons to discriminate against homosexuals.

Indiana's top two legislators, both Republicans, announced Thursday morning a "fix" to their state's controversial religious-freedom law -- a change that would preclude Indiana businesses from denying services to gays or lesbians.

"What was intended as a message of inclusion was interpreted as a message of exclusion, especially for the LGBT community," Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosma told reporters at a 9 a.m. news conference. "Nothing could have been further from the truth, but it was clear the perception had to be addressed."

The proposed update, as released by Indiana GOP lawmakers online, states that the controversial religious-freedom law does not allow any business to deny service to any customer -- including on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity.

I guess it's kind of a win, but it isn't what the LGBT community actually wanted, which was for sexual orientation to be added to the statewide civil rights protections. Now here is where the hypocrisy starts. Indiana is supposed to be a Republican state. Republicans stand for states' rights. Well when asked why Indiana hasn't added sexual orientation to its protected classes list, they responded:

Asked why the legislature was not taking that step, Long pointed out that such protections do not exist at the federal level.

Eh...? That's certainly convenient, but why would a Republican care about what's going on at the federal level in regards to state issues? Oh well. I guess this is a decent compromise in any case.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I wish they would not have caved. I guess the businesses can just refuse service based on the excuse they think they might be connected to terrorism?? haha there we go. terrorism is used by our government for too many other controversial actions, now lets allow business owners to do the same. Who can prove whether they are sincere in the belief or not?? Just say I dont trust terrorists and we can deny LGBT service all we want.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I love how they claim that this had nothing to do with LGBT people, while three of the people present when Pence signed this law into effect have a history of some of the most ignorant homophobic spewing the state has ever seen.

These people have publicly claimed that homosexuality can be "cured", compared it to the sexual abuse of children, compared it to bestiality, and all while Pence claims this had nothing to do with attacking LGBT people...

The company you keep says a lot about the content of your character. Maybe if there weren't so many ignorant and disgusting "Christians" associated to this hate bill some people could believe a word from this lying sack of excrement?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"Ya, those Fascist tactics born in Sin Francisco are working great...ALL OVER America!"

Am I doing this right?
First time.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

These people have publicly claimed that homosexuality can be "cured", compared it to the sexual abuse of children, compared it to bestiality

Seen all that here on ATS as well.

Always gonna be detrimental to ATS's growth imo.

& society as a whole.

I wouldn't think it was 2015 looking in from the outside.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Granite

What are you talking about?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Read and weep

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I love how they claim that this had nothing to do with LGBT people, while three of the people present when Pence signed this law into effect have a history of some of the most ignorant homophobic spewing the state has ever seen.

These people have publicly claimed that homosexuality can be "cured", compared it to the sexual abuse of children, compared it to bestiality, and all while Pence claims this had nothing to do with attacking LGBT people...

The company you keep says a lot about the content of your character. Maybe if there weren't so many ignorant and disgusting "Christians" associated to this hate bill some people could believe a word from this lying sack of excrement?

Srsly. I'm about to renounce citizenship. This is one of the most ignorant..... I swear. Not sure how anyone with two thoughts in their head could ever get behind this, let alone entertain it. Time for revolution.

edit on 2-4-2015 by StarlightNine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Actually the whole bill needs to be scraped, it has nothing about religious freedom and not amendment is going to fix what the bill is about, the right to discrimination.

We already have a constitutional right to freedom of religion and our 4th and 5th guarantees that no person can be discriminated, by the federal and individual state. so the bill is nothing but a parody an attempt to bring back discrimination under religious choices and now is obvious has become a political tool.

Even if the bill gets to become anything, it will be nullify under constitutional laws.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
just how many laws amendments and are we gonna need to ensure that we all enjoy the same protections under the constitution? why not just make one amendment that ensures that everyone has the same protections and freedoms upon reaching adulthood?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yea, I've always wondered why bills are necessary to "reinforce" amendments that already cover that topic, but here we are. At least they are making sure you can't use the law to discriminate against LGBT's.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

Read and weep

What a dumb correlation. Fanaticism exists in all ideologies. Should I link you to examples of anti-gay people lynching gays? Because I'm sure I can find WAY more examples of fanatical Christians abusing gays than gays abusing Christians.
edit on 2-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Indiana Vs. Federal Law — What Do They Say?

"The Federal RFRA states that "Government shall not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability. ..."

The Indiana law also states, "A governmental entity may not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability."

That is, the federal law states, except when it "is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."

Indiana also states the exception as "(1) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and (2) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."

But that's where the similarities end."

Also:

"The federal law does not go so far as to define a "person." Indiana's law does. And a "person," by its standard, is not what you might think.

Section 7 of the Indiana code includes people, churches and corporations in that definition:" .....

www.npr.org...

So a person is also a church, company, partnership, unincorporated association...... horse and saddle, the picture of Stalin on the wall....

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Can't find a link yet, but I just heard on the MSM that Angie's List has rejected the, so called, "FIX".

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

You mean this?
Angie's List rejects 'religious freedom' law fix, calls it 'insufficient'

"Our position is that this 'fix' is insufficient," Angie's CEO Bill Oesterle said in a statement Thursday morning. "There was no repeal of RFRA and no end to discrimination of homosexuals in Indiana."

The legislative proposal, announced Thursday morning, would make sexual orientation and gender identity explicitly protected against discrimination in new law. But the proposal otherwise keeps intact the controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act passed by the legislature and signed into law by Gov. Mike Pence.

Oesterle said that, even with the proposed change, "Employers in most of the state of Indiana can fire a person simply for being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning. That's just not right and that's the real issue here. Our employees deserve to live, work and travel with open accommodations in any part of the state."

I blame Pence's stubborn refusal to make gays a protected class of people in the state. Citing that the reason it hasn't been done because it's not the case on the Federal level is insanely stupid. For one, if it was already enacted on the Federal level, it wouldn't be an issue in Indiana nor would Indiana have to enact such a measure. Second, Indiana is a Republican state, they LIKE state's rights, why are they deferring state responsibility over to federal authority on things they find unpleasant?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Read and weep

??? So some gay protestors ...um...protested? a church ..over 20 years ago?

I watched that poor woman describe her trauma of being...yelled at by a protestor?

I don't know? hmmm...Maybe compare a protest from 20 years ago with what else happened in the same time period?

October 7, 1998 – Matthew Shepard, a gay student, in Laramie, Wyoming was tortured, beaten severely, tied to a fence, and abandoned; he was found 18 hours after the attack and succumbed to his injuries less than a week later
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
just how many laws amendments and are we gonna need to ensure that we all enjoy the same protections under the constitution? why not just make one amendment that ensures that everyone has the same protections and freedoms upon reaching adulthood?

Because that would fail to make Christian Conservatives special? It's election season.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Read and weep

omg.

" a national organization devoted exclusively to exposing and countering the homosexual activist agenda."

Oh. I know who you are right now.

Tell me what YOU think the "homosexual agenda" is. In your opinion, of course. I'm just wondering if it's changed since last I was here at ATS or if it's the same tired, rude farting in a closed room.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Yep! That's it!

I also heard, in the same MSM newscast, an interview with a Dem Indiana lawmaker, didn't get his name, promising Indianans, and its visitors, "We're gonna get a new Governor", hinting at an upcoming recall effort.

Pence really "screwed the pooch" (can you say that on ATS?) on this one!

edit on 2-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
And the moral of the story is:

Until the US federal government balls up and adds sexual orientation to its discrimination laws across the board, this garbage is going to keep bouncing around back and forth from state to state (ad nauseum)... and wasting taxpayers monies in the process.
edit on 2-4-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join