It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirit or Soul? what is what... pls help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia
I did say, from the beginning, that different people use the words in different ways, and that's what's happening here.
The usage found in the Bible is that each of us IS an individual soul. The PSYCHE, or "soul", is just that part of us which thinks, and moves our bodies around.
The usage which developed in the Middle Ages was that each of us HAS an individual soul, capable of living on as detached from the body.
Either way, the Christian view has been that the individual soul remains individual; not absorbed into God, but living in company with God, like a family living together.

Elementalist is discarding the Christian understanding of things and discarding true individuality.
He has adopted the understanding that there is one universal life/consciousness occupying everybody.
He could have called this "God", but he has chosen to call it "Soul" instead.
(I'm not getting into the question of who is right or wrong. Just clarifying the difference between the two usages.)

So yes, you will get confused if you take opposite viewpoints and try to understand them as one.
As I said before, the meaning of "soul" and "spirit" depends on who is doing the talking.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

ok yes I do understand it now
and I am a Christian so yes I was first asking from bibles point of view
I am also opened to philosophy and other religions
but this is exactly what helps me so so much
I can now place into my brain terms and definitions so I understand everything said in church and I can also understand everything said at a university that is a mixture of thoughts
it is very important to me
thank you dearly for your answers and your patience
all the answers are so helpful
it saves me time and confusion I will be also more mindful about using the terms
I can't and never will push my views on others just trying to comprehend it all
I love reading the bible new testament more so
beside soul and spirit chapters do you have any sections you highly recommend to read through properly?
you are very knowledgeable and respectful I like that
maybe one day we can share how come you know so much

Also I did not plan this but
Wishing you all a blessed Good Friday

edit on 3-4-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Since I moved to an English speaking country I have noticed people throwing around the word soul and spirit. In my language we only use one term and I believe it is more like the term Soul. I have a feeling that people strongly distinguish the two and have a clear idea of what both terms mean. But I am still having really hard time understanding the difference. Can anyone please explain it to me in simple terms or by using examples so I can relate properly to the people I am having a conversation with. I feel like I am totally missing something..I also believe this terms are not necessarily religion bound..

The translations from Hebrew to English sets the Hebrew's understanding but at times differs from the Greek's understanding of the same incident.

Moses teaches us that Adam was created as a dead soul which means that Adam was lifeless without the spirit of life.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This breath of life is called the spirit within the soul. The soul (body) are the receptors of the spirit. The spirit is actually the portion of a person that controls the body in most instances and is the reason that the soul is the portion that perishes. The spirit is the portion which is actually judged after life has ended.

Now of course all of this depends upon which doctrine you want to believe. The Judaic rabbinic doctrine teaches that the decomposed soul will be restored and united with the spirit in a last day judgment. The doctrine of Jesus teaches that the soul will die and perish back to its source and nevermore rise again as a soul. The spirit is immediately judged and sentenced to condemnation or justification.

The Greek New Testament uses the term soul very loosely and in some cases has an entirely different understanding than the Hebrew teachings. The New Testament is riddled with transformations from the old covenant of Abram and Moses to the new covenant of Jesus and in many cases must be observed by the reader. That is why any subject should be verified as to which school of thought it belongs. Even in quotes of the Apostles of the NT it should be remembered that they were schooled in rabbinic theology since birth and are now being taught a new doctrine by Jesus. They were constantly confused and corrected by Jesus many times. That is called dividing the word of truth and it does require study to understand in many cases.

Then you also have denominational differences among so called Christians. This can really be a problem as most organized Christian denominations are not Christian at all. In fact some churches will censor the biblical translations and insert their own doctrines. This can absolutely confuse many people in choosing a bible and denomination to follow.

If you are seriously interested then take your time in deciding and always compare what is said by a person to the bible of your choice. Never believe without being taught by the bible.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Both words are probably two of the most vague in the English language, and can be pretty much anything you want them to be.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
To seede

I have some additional questions
thank you for the thorough answer

Is there a difference between God and Spirit of life? because what it sounds like God is neither soul or spirit

thank you for elaborating
also it is very hard for me to tell what do u believe in out of all that information we are given

edit on 5-4-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Presbo369

true on top of that what and who isn't vague these days:/
I just find it too complicated to distinguish btw the two I really don't think it is necessary
spirit=soul like chicken=egg

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

Moses teaches us that Adam was created as a dead soul which means that Adam was lifeless without the spirit of life.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This breath of life is called the spirit within the soul. The soul (body) are the receptors of the spirit. The spirit is actually the portion of a person that controls the body in most instances and is the reason that the soul is the portion that perishes. The spirit is the portion which is actually judged after life has ended.

God is the substance that forms the forms.
One of the forms God forms is human - the human form believes it is doing life and that life is happening to him as a separate entity. The human form does not realize that all is done on earth (the dust he is made of) as it is in heaven.
The human form began to speak - it spoke of other than God - it spoke of concepts. With those concepts came the idea of time and an entity that could live and die. Fear arose and there is now a constant seeking for security. Looking in time for a safe place - even if the thought is that after life it will be ok - but only if I do the right things in life.

This right here and right now is all there is - this is God and there is nothing separate to it - this is all there will ever be - but this will constantly appear different.
It is the seeking for a safe resting place in time which prevents you from resting peacefully now.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Spirit and Soul are just different names for the same thingless thing - the only thing. It is what shapes and forms all that is appearing.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The Soul is the individual, the mind.

Body, Soul, Spirit also called Body, Mind, Spirit.

God is Spirit, and the body is the temple for The (Holy) Spirit.

This is also why the Kingdom of Heaven is not here or there, but within you.

A soul (mind/individual) that lacks spirit (God/love/compassion), appears as darkness.

It is from the Heart that good or evil comes forth. When a person keeps the heart (faith/feelings/focus) on Spirit/Love then they reap the fruits of peace.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

ok
so most answers are that the spirit (god)is and it is "higher"then soul.
why do you most people call ghosts spirits ?
do you believe in ghosts and would you call it spirit?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

thank you.
I really like your threads can't wait to read through them.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I call them entities.

Entities of darkness, I call beasts or lost souls.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join