It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens to use 'nuclear force' over Crimea and the Baltic states

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: camain

If they want a 1.5 million strong nati base in their country

Lol, 1.5 million strong base is a lot even for USA proper with the population of over 300 million.

You have already misreported the number of Latvians living abroad in "millions" number, for the country of total 2 million it is not possible. I'm starting to think Latvia as another China

I also doubt USSR could conscript many Latvians during WW2, but it fits nicely in the agenda of whitewashing Latvian SS troops. Latvia was occupied by Germany in about 1-2 weeks after Germany invaded USSR. There was probably Latvian nationals already in the Soviet army, though I would guess not much.

I like that you liked "picking mushrooms" in the forests near Riga, I did this too. But as far as i remember there are no naturally grown "magick mushrooms"

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: ICycle2
But what do I know living in South Africa

You know the truth
Unlike most blind people on here who tow tow NATO encroachment on Russian influence as though it will not be met with a response in kind.

USA needs to get right on this one, Russia is not a piece of piss walkover full of people with brown faces and towels on their heads. Russia is a superpower and it has been pushed too far, give up on this madness USA or we will all suffer for it.

RUSSIA HAS ITS SPHERE OF INFLUENCE, DON'T PUSH THEM TO THE DETRIMENT OF US ALL

Hmm... rewind to 1938/39.

"Hitler only wants to add Austria and Czechoslovakia to Germany because that land was once Germany's and there are a lot of ethnic Germans living in those countries. No big deal and everyone else should stay out of it."

Russia is using the EXACT same excuses Hitler used when Germany invaded and annexed surrounding nations. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Oh I completely understand it ,but we have been responding to a potential invasive Russia and THEY WENT AND DID it as we suspected they would.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

I didn't pick mushrooms in Riga, I picked them near Saudis and talsi actually, where if you must know I had my 3rd Latvian wedding since I had a quick Jo one after my wife came to meet immigration requirements then a second church wedding for my family. Further Latvia has about 3 million people. However, many left it during the Russian occupation, and still more left after they became eu and could get a job freely anywhere in the eu. This occurred with the college educated when austerity kicked in about 10 yrs ago. So yes there is about 3-400,000 Latvians living abroad. The largest community near me is Toronto where I go to for the saint johns festival. As far as Russia and Germany and conscription, any male over 15 was conscripted by Russians. Like Ukraine, hitler promised the Latvians a free country if they would fight for Germany, so many Latvians joined the Germans and as Germany took over were conscripted by Germany. Hitler was excellent at getting outside groups to fight for him.
Lastly I didn't say Latvia had 1.5 million or even 2 million or what not. What I said is if they wanted a 1.5 million strong nato army, coming and pitching a tent in the woods, that's their prerogative. Doubt it would ever happen as Latvia is basically Riga, then the country, but if that's what they wanted that's their choice.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yes the Baltics are a seperate issue. They are indeed independent, they do indeed look to the Baltic world, but they take the piss with their Nazi marches and using NATO this and NATO that all the time will only encourage Russia to stir the pot. Russia just wants NATO not on its borders. I agree with Russia that NATO has gone too far. Imagine Russians on the Canadian and Mexican borders............... Seriously would YOU and Obama like it?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

How do you know that Russia is lying...are you privy to something the rest of us don't know?
you said :
"When he threatens to take the capital of 5 NATO nations within a few days you take the threat seriously."

Should Russia not take the threat Tymoshenko made seriously then :

www.zerohedge.com...

There are 2 sides to every coin.
There is a propoganda war between East and West at the moment and Obama and Putin should really be at the table trying to resolve the issues before it escalates any further.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Do you WANT them to invade their bordering countries?
People who think NATO and the US are empirical aggressors are HILARIOUS.WE HATE trying to hold other countries.
NATO hasn't invaded FRANCE or Italy now HAVE they?
US hasn't invaded Mexico either.
If you are JUST FINE with Russia capturing sovereign countries you are not only FOOLISH you are cowardly.
THEY do have nukes yes,if they try to use them MAYBE those creepy black Traingles might surprise all of us ...or WHATEVER the hell that spaceplane is doing anyway.

I just think USA using NATO has pushed Russia too far. Russians have their pride to you know. They have their backyard.

Oh and America being an Empire.
Well once you're in you don't go home do you? You know, Japan, Germany, Italy, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan,etc, etc,etc etc. You mould the politics then they 'ask' you to stay. Still in all those places you invaded almost a century ago
You are an empire alright in the same way the East India company through Great Britain was an empire.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Last I checked, the Warsaw Pact was no more, neither is the Soviet Union.

NATO's original purpose is no more.

I think we know why NATO exists today..

www.thefiscaltimes.com...

Terrorism and boogie men are BIG BUSINESS.

edit on 2-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Rewind if you want, that's cool.

Because Russia post 1991 like Germany post 1918 was unfairly treated by the Brits French and Yanks. Germany had its sphere of influence but was crapped on post 1918 just like Russia post 1991. You want another Hitler and you think you found one in Putin? The Germans had their pride you know, that were crapped on at Versailles. Same with Russia post '91, if America is shocked by Russia and this guy called Putin then please...............look in your mirror, you only have your actions to blame in your treatment of someone who you see as standing in your way and needing crushing in that good old wild west 'let's wipe out the redskins' USA sort of way

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I do agree with you to an extent, nato shouldn't be inflaming Russia. As an American, I don't want any American troops in the baltics actually, but if they request it, they want it, they desire it. Why can't poland or Denmark, or Germany send troops. Their is a huge difference between occupation and visitation. Again though, having driven on Latvian roads, they don't have the infrastructure like Western Europe. Even Riga is short 4 to 6 lane strips. I think the issue is, when some idiot in Russia threatens, the entire baltics have ptsd and want to cover their ass. If Russia changed their tune, it would be a heck of a lot easier. Heck if Russia applied to join nato things would change quite significantly.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

They don't have nazi marches. They have separate remembrance days. There were a lot of Latvians the fought against Germany that don't really like the German remembrance day, and vice versa. Families have a right to remember their dead though, regardless of uniform. Latvians are extremely nationalist. As an American I get that. My wife won't take the u.s. Naturalization process because she would lose her Latvian citizenship. Imagine this, Latvians Estonians, and Lithuanians joined in unity to make a chain of people that went from Estonia to Lithuania. They are united in one thing, a free Baltic. They respect each other, and all have a strong independent streak with love of country. The baltics just aren't the same as Ukraine.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You are absolutely correct that Europe should be handling this one. But the Europeans are a waste of space. I'm not sure that Russia will accept Germans in the Baltics lol, maybe the French, then again they invaded Russia less than 100 years ago post 1917, or Britain, then again they invaded Russia post 1917 and before it too, Italy invaded Russia, Japan, you guessed it.........invaded Russia post 1917, Ausis, yep you guessed it invaded Russia post 1917, the Canadians lol etc etc etc, yep you guesses it................

Everyone has had a go at invading Rusisa in the last 100 years, it is no wonder they don't want any of these nations on their borders

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Because Russia post 1991 like Germany post 1918 was unfairly treated by the Brits French and Yanks. Germany had its sphere of influence but was crapped on post 1918 just like Russia post 1991. You want another Hitler and you think you found one in Putin? The Germans had their pride you know, that were crapped on at Versailles. Same with Russia post '91, if America is shocked by Russia and this guy called Putin then please...............look in your mirror, you only have your actions to blame in your treatment of someone who you see as standing in your way and needing crushing in that good old wild west 'let's wipe out the redskins' USA sort of way

Yes, everything is the fault of the United States. Hitler was just a lovable art student until the U.S. pissed in his cornflakes.

I don't WANT another Hitler, I'm just drawing the obvious parallels. So, aside from you blaming the United States, we agree that Putin is behaving a lot like Hitler and for the same reasons.

You've proven my point but offered nothing to the discussion.

You're great at pointing out what happened AFTER WWI and AFTER the USSR was broken up. I guess the U.S. was responsible for what happened before, as well?
edit on 4/2/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Yes, everything is the fault of the United States. Hitler was just a lovable art student until the U.S. pissed in his cornflakes.

I don't WANT another Hitler, I'm just drawing the obvious parallels. So, aside from you blaming the United States, we agree that Putin is behaving a lot like Hitler and for the same reasons.

You do know Russia is not invading our countries with APC's and Tanks as we speak doing a provocation road tour reminding us of our "occupation". That is right, it is NATO (mostly US influenced) doing that. And please, don't claim they are requested to be here, they are not, at least not by the "people", and by "request" usually with the US involved that means do it or face consequences.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bullcat

You do know Russia is not invading our countries with APC's and Tanks as we speak doing a provocation road tour reminding us of our "occupation". That is right, it is NATO (mostly US influenced) doing that. And please, don't claim they are requested to be here, they are not, at least not by the "people", and by "request" usually with the US involved that means do it or face consequences.

Yet, if NATO was pulled out and Russia was allowed to take whatever they want, you'd be whining for NATO to do something about it.

The simple fact is, in the minds of many people, the U.S. and NATO are always wrong no matter what.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yet, if NATO was pulled out and Russia was allowed to take whatever they want, you'd be whining for NATO to do something about it.

The simple fact is, in the minds of many people, the U.S. and NATO are always wrong no matter what.

You never give us the opportunity to do that do you. Every time Europe tries to start something for themselves, in comes America with their bully tactics to put a halt to it.

Europe is America's biatch. Europeans are the people that pay for everything America does over here. Not you.

Please, GO HOME, frankly, go wave your flag in your own home. Not ours.

Go walk around your own house with your dirty boots, not our homes.

edit on 2-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

You never give us the opportunity to do that do you. Every time Europe tries to start something for themselves, in comes America with their bully tactics to put a halt to it.

Europe is America's biatch. Europeans are the people that pay for everything America does over here. Not you.

I'd gladly leave you all to your own devices but that's not my call.

I don't know what country you call home but a good portion of Europe doesn't have a very solid history of standing on their own without help.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Many Nazis did come from there. But today they exist in wacko groups. My plumbers dad was a runaway SS from Estonia many settled around here (in the UK) as the Russians would have killed the ex SS from the Baltics. There were many and they were enthusiastic killers that surpassed the Germans. British probably helped them find refuge sick times. But Russia should leave the Baltics alone, they have them surrounded anyway by keeping East Prussia and will always have economic leverage over them.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I'd gladly leave you all to your own devices but that's not my call.

I don't know what country you call home but a good portion of Europe doesn't have a very solid history of standing on their own without help.

But it IS your call, remember, the Constitution? Do you really want to be lectured about your own constitution by a foreigner?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Lol, ok I concede on that point, how about Greeks, and Spanish, maybe the Portuguese. Ya, I don't think the Russians would like any at its border, but that's the point, stop threatening, and they won't have a reason do build up. The baltics are scared because they are so small compared to Russia. Latvia literally has one major city. If it falls, so goes the rest of the country. And Putin already said he could march an army their in less then 2 weeks. That's with the Latvians fighting like hell. They just have overwhelming firepower. That's why the baltics get squeamish. NATO wouldn't be able to mobilize fast enough to repeal a Russian invasion. That's why they want the troops their now, since Russia is threatening. If russia has to kill 10k Germans or French or whatever to get through to Riga, do you actually think that country would do nothing. It's like the Korean border. The u.s. Has 30k troops just sitting there. If North Korea were to invade their life expectancy is 5 minutes. Nk has over 1 million artillery pieces aimed at them. There not there to defend anything. There there because if 30k troops get blown apart in 5 minutes you damn well know North Korea is getting lit up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join