It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia threatens to use 'nuclear force' over Crimea and the Baltic states

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Russia has threatened to use “nuclear force” to defend its annexation of Crimea and warned that the “same conditions” that prompted it to take military action in Ukraine exist in the three Baltic states, all members of Nato.

According to notes made by an American at a meeting between Russian generals and US officials – and seen by The Times newspaper - Moscow threatened a “spectrum of responses from nuclear to non-military” if Nato moved more forces into Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

The Russians told the meeting, which took place in Germany last month, that an attempt to return Crimea to Ukraine would be met “forcefully including through the use of nuclear force”.

And they said if Nato sent arms to Ukraine this would be seen as “further encroachment by Nato to the Russian border” and “the Russian people would demand a forceful response”.

They added that “the same conditions that existed in Ukraine and caused Russia to take action there” existed in the three Baltic states, which like Ukraine have significant numbers of people who regard themselves as ethnically Russian.

Threatening the use of nuclear weapons in order to take what he wants, which he is essentially rebuilding the USSR. His latest threats now include the Baltic nations and a warning about deploying NATO forces.

Putin is the reason this is occurring and apparently is going insane.

He is becoming extremely aggressive now and it makes one wonder if this might be a result of the 10+ days disappearance.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

He is becoming extremely aggressive now and it makes one wonder if this might be a result of the 10+ days disappearance.

I am wondering if by chance they killed the real Putin off and put a more aggressive person in his place! I don't know how long facial reconstruction surgery would take, but hey it is a conspiracy site right?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Sounds like the SAMSON Option.

Disgusting.

All Empires destroy themselves anyways...

Russia is no exception.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

"According to notes made by an American at a meeting between Russian generals and US officials"

Of course.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just wondering. I do not see Russia building up forces around other countries like NATO is doing to them. Also a lot of these independent countries have many ethnically Russians who want to be part of Russia again. Sounds very domestic to me. Like I said, just wondering. But what do I know living in South Africa

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure something similar to this has been posted before.

I swear, everything keeps going in to circles. It's like the journalists have got nothing else to write about, so they just use one information and write 10 different versions of it while adding a little extra thing in it!

I wont discuss the article itself, because the person who wrote it did not show any source to what's he saying. Until then, it's just the same usual propaganda...
edit on 2-4-2015 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ICycle2
Just wondering. I do not see Russia building up forces around other countries like NATO is doing to them. Also a lot of these independent countries have many ethnically Russians who want to be part of Russia again. Sounds very domestic to me. Like I said, just wondering. But what do I know living in South Africa

So the training exercises Russia held within spitting distance of the Ukraine border, not to mention their invasion of Ukraine, was what?

Secondly these are sovereign nations and as Russia has stated about its own military deployment and training, its no one elses business.

I get the feeling Putin is going to bite off more than he can chew in the Baltics.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Damn! Looks like "Little Kim's" visit paid off.
Seriously, another turn backward in civilization. The sheer brutality of force violently illustrated by ISIS is regaining respect in some personages. Putin has decided that Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, etc. were on the right path in pursuing their paths of domination. In their view, there was/is no right or wrong, only their goals for themselves. This can't be allowed to continue. We know how it ends, and the sooner the better. Make that highly maligned UN work for its money!
edit on 2-4-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ICycle2
But what do I know living in South Africa

You know the truth
Unlike most blind people on here who tow tow NATO encroachment on Russian influence as though it will not be met with a response in kind.

USA needs to get right on this one, Russia is not a piece of piss walkover full of people with brown faces and towels on their heads. Russia is a superpower and it has been pushed too far, give up on this madness USA or we will all suffer for it.

RUSSIA HAS ITS SPHERE OF INFLUENCE, DON'T PUSH THEM TO THE DETRIMENT OF US ALL

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I agree, my wife is Latvian. From what she says the Latvians never accepted Russian rule, nor German for that matter. The Russians in Latvia that you speak of are a large minority, but make no mistake, Latvia is for Latvia first. After the Russians stormed the tv station in Riga, during the collapse of the ussr and shot the anchor, they adamantly oppose Russia having anything to do with them. Further, while Latvia is a small nation, they are an ardent nato and u.s. Ally. They have sent troops to Iraq and Afghanistan. I for one think of the baltics as a little brother. Me being full blooded American, I have gone to Latvia, seen the people nd culture. Picked mushrooms in the forests, as well as gone to old Riga and the old fishing villages. One thing is clear. If Russia does anything to the baltics it will be war, also those ethnic Russians that someone talked about. They don't speak Russia, its a cross language between Russian and Latvian. Latvia gained its independence since the 1990's. There not going to give it up again, not to the Russians, the Germans before them, the poles, or the swedes. Latvia is for Latvians, and if people inside the country don't like it, they can move to Russia. Also just a fyi, the Latvian economy is getting better, they had a collapse 10 yrs ago, but they did their austerity, took it on the chin, and now things are getting better every day. Also as eu citizens, Latvians can go to anywhere in Europe to work(which the do). Just some thoughts. It would be asinine to think there are Rebels in the baltics, cause the reality is, they are eu citizens.

Cheers

Camain

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I hope I don't alarm anyone on here but if what you say is true regarding Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia then I am afraid the world could be in perilous trouble.
I believe that Russia doesn't want to expand her borders but at the same time does not want NATO sitting right on her doorstep.
The situation with Ukraine reminds me of the Russo-Georgian War whereby Russia took South Ossetia and Abhkazia as Georgia threatened to join NATO.
If Russia where to make these kind of moves into a member of NATO then the most likely thing that will happen is war with Russia and we all know that the most likely outcome would escalate to Nuclear Armaggedon.
I hope I'm wrong and this will eventually get sorted peacefully but who knows?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

The baltics are not the Russian sphere of influence. If anything they are in the Nordic sphere of influence, namely Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Not to mention Poland and Denmark. Though there are millions of Latvians almost 1/3 of their population spread out in Europe.

Yes it's true Latvia does trade with Russia, but that's like saying the u.s. Should trade with Cuba, and that the u.s. Because they have a large Cuban presence should attack Cuba.

It's just not the case. Latvia will work and trade with anyone, even those they dislike, but Latvia is for latvia. They are incredibly loyal and committed to their nation. Kinda how Jews are with Israel.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Do you WANT them to invade their bordering countries?
People who think NATO and the US are empirical aggressors are HILARIOUS.WE HATE trying to hold other countries.
NATO hasn't invaded FRANCE or Italy now HAVE they?
US hasn't invaded Mexico either.
If you are JUST FINE with Russia capturing sovereign countries you are not only FOOLISH you are cowardly.
THEY do have nukes yes,if they try to use them MAYBE those creepy black Traingles might surprise all of us ...or WHATEVER the hell that spaceplane is doing anyway.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

According to Russia Today these threats were never made.

rt.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Russia has threatened to use “nuclear force” to defend its annexation of Crimea and warned that the “same conditions” that prompted it to take military action in Ukraine exist in the three Baltic states, all members of Nato.

According to notes made by an American at a meeting between Russian generals and US officials – and seen by The Times newspaper - Moscow threatened a “spectrum of responses from nuclear to non-military” if Nato moved more forces into Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

The Russians told the meeting, which took place in Germany last month, that an attempt to return Crimea to Ukraine would be met “forcefully including through the use of nuclear force”.

And they said if Nato sent arms to Ukraine this would be seen as “further encroachment by Nato to the Russian border” and “the Russian people would demand a forceful response”.

They added that “the same conditions that existed in Ukraine and caused Russia to take action there” existed in the three Baltic states, which like Ukraine have significant numbers of people who regard themselves as ethnically Russian.

Threatening the use of nuclear weapons in order to take what he wants, which he is essentially rebuilding the USSR. His latest threats now include the Baltic nations and a warning about deploying NATO forces.

Putin is the reason this is occurring and apparently is going insane.

With all due respect, and not to blame entirely the west at all, but from my perspective the West is encroaching on Russia and trying to diminish it's strength. Remember the Monroe Doctrine, where the US said that no foreign powers would be allowed to encroach in Latin America ("our backyard") without military action. And... we proceeded to control, invade, coup, and regime change numerous countries in Latin America.

So, unless you are ready to impugn the US for over 100 years of this policy, then you must recognize that a long-standing enemy rolling up closer and closer to your borders and possibly encircling Russia is not something that the Russian's should be expected to be cool with.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain

The baltics are not the Russian sphere of influence. If anything they are in the Nordic sphere of influence, namely Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Not to mention Poland and Denmark. Though there are millions of Latvians almost 1/3 of their population spread out in Europe.

Yes it's true Latvia does trade with Russia, but that's like saying the u.s. Should trade with Cuba, and that the u.s. Because they have a large Cuban presence should attack Cuba.

It's just not the case. Latvia will work and trade with anyone, even those they dislike, but Latvia is for latvia. They are incredibly loyal and committed to their nation. Kinda how Jews are with Israel.

But those states, such as Latvia and Ukraine, most definitely HAVE been in Russia's sphere of influence for over 100 years.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: defcon25

According to Russia Today these threats were never made.

rt.com...

Right...

interesting the aricle states NATO agreed not to deploy anything to the Baltics, which is another lie Russia is telling. The agreement in questions specifically states -

***PDF FILE *** - 1997 FOUNDING ACT ON MUTUAL RELATIONS, COOPERATION AND SECURITY BETWEEN NATO AND THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION

...........Provisions of this Act do not provide NATO or Russia, in any way, with a right of veto over the actions of the other nor do they infringe upon or restrict the rights of NATO or Russia to independent decision - making and action. They
cannot be used as a means to disadvantage the interests of other states.

They threaten to:
* - Russia threatens Denmark with naval nuclear attack

* - Russia Threatens Nukes in Crimea

Considering Russia violated the agreement, and then in turn withdrew from the CFE, demonstrates their intentions, especially towards the Baltic states. Every time Putin runs his mouth the very thing he complains about occurs as a result of it. When he threatens to take the capital of 5 NATO nations within a few days you take the threat seriously.

Putin has been caught in to many lies to be trustworthy.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Yes they have as much as Palestine is in isreals sphere of influence. The baltics have been occupied by the Russians, the Germans, the poles, and the swedes. Hell, the Russians and Germans both conscripted and forced the Latvians to kill each other during world war 2. This is why they joined nato and the eu as soon as the ussr collapsed they knew Russian would eventually recover and never again did they want to be under their thumb. They are sovereign nation with inalienable rights. If they want a 1.5 million strong nati base in their country that's thier prerogative. They have every right to request it. I doubt it would come to that, due to the fact they don't have the infrastructure, but they have a right to be left alone and to do their own thing. No more being dominated.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
rt.com...

"The new draft of the Russian military doctrine doesn’t provide for the possibility of a preemptive nuclear strike, news agencies report quoting unnamed sources in the Defense Ministry."

But

“It would become possible if the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation are under threat.” "

Fair enough, anybody with in that situation would do the same.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Russian demographics are terrible. if the russian people knew how badly off they are they would revolt. half of conscripts unfit for full duty? population declining. fertility down 50 percent. primary child bearing age women's population small and declining rapidly. 2/3 of men's deaths are alcohol related. there is a reason Putin is acting all crazy. it's desperation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join