It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia pulls plug on Crimean Tatar TV sparking Ukraine outrage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Russia pulls plug on Crimean Tatar TV sparking Ukraine outrage

Moscow (AFP) - Russian authorities on Wednesday shut down a television channel serving Crimean Tatars, an ethnic group that opposed Moscow's seizure of Crimea, sparking concern in Ukraine and the West.

ATR television channel was forced off air after Russia's state media regulator refused to give it a broadcasting licence.

The move caused outrage in Kiev, with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko tweeting: "You can shut down the channel but you cannot stop the Crimean Tatars' desire for freedom and the truth!"

A Muslim minority on the mostly Russian-speaking peninsula, the Tatars were deported en masse by Stalin to Central Asia during World War II, with nearly half dying of hunger and disease.

They only returned to Crimea at the end of Soviet rule and the 300,000-strong community was gradually gaining more rights in recent years.

The closure of a media outlet that served the minority group for nearly a decade is only the latest salvo in Russia's crackdown on the largely pro-Ukrainian community that has also included raids on the channel's offices.

"We stopped broadcasting at midnight," the channel's deputy general director, Lilya Budzhurova, told AFP.

Budzhurova, who also reports for Agence France-Presse, said the staff of more than 200 people have refused to give up.

"This is not the end," she said. "If someone thinks that they can kill the channel -- which is one of a kind in the world -- then they are mistaken."

She said the closure of the channel was a major blow for a community.

"People are awfully depressed," she said, adding that some 150-200 activists gathered in front of the channel's offices Tuesday night in a show of support.

The owner of the ATR media holding, Lenur Islyamov, said the closure was a mistake and could radicalise the community.

"It turned out that our homeland does not need us."

Authorities also shut down several other media of the same holding including a children's TV channel and two radio stations.

Islyamov, the holding's owner, said they were looking for ways to continue operations but ruled out leaving the peninsula.

"For us this option would be unacceptable because that would amount to cultural deportation."

Click link for remainder of article...

I am not surprised... Russia continues the destruction of anything that is not "Russian" or "Pro Russian". Add this in to the Russian rebels attacking another city in E. Ukraine and one has to ask - at what point is the west going to realize Putin must be stopped. Hitler was able to start his war of domination and genocide because Europe thought appeasement would work.

Lets not go for a repeat...

edit on 1-4-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I see this making a comeback in the near future!

edit on 1-4-2015 by NotMoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

as much as this sucks for the ukrainian populace, it's happened. There's nothing any individual citizen will ever be able to do to stop TPB when they've locked targets. What's that quote about holding on to hatred? That it's like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die? It sucks, but nothing can be done. Move on :\

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Like I said.. Appeasement doesn't work...

The Soviet union collapsed because of this type of ass hattery.. Its to bad Putin is ignoring history.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

"The owner of the ATR media holding, Lenur Islyamov, said the closure was a mistake and could radicalise the community." 300,000 people

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

as much as this sucks for the ukrainian populace, it's happened. There's nothing any individual citizen will ever be able to do to stop TPB when they've locked targets. What's that quote about holding on to hatred? That it's like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die? It sucks, but nothing can be done. Move on :\

Nothing to see here, move along eh?

Never mind the totalitarian stranglehold on the media. Nobody is allowed to question Putin over the airwaves.

When are they going to start restocking the gulags in SIberia?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

With Russia violating the rights of the Tatars and Ukrainians I wonder if this gives other nations the right to invade Crimea to protect the "ethnic Tatars and Ukrainians" that Russia is now discriminating against.

Ironic Russia engages in the very behavior they lied about Ukraine doing...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: TinfoilTP

With Russia violating the rights of the Tatars and Ukrainians I wonder if this gives other nations the right to invade Crimea to protect the "ethnic Tatars and Ukrainians" that Russia is now discriminating against.

Ironic Russia engages in the very behavior they lied about Ukraine doing...

The Turks claim protection of the Tatar population. And while they might arm them, invasion would be out of the question. What the Turks could do is push for a close alignment of its allies Georgia and Azerbijan with NATO to get them better arms and training. Of course this was going to happen, as Putins position becomes less secure and Russian media more out of touch with reality, anybody who is not telling the tale Putin wants is going down.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Wow, talk about trolling Russia what's up with that!

Straight dictator style too. Oh well, it is Russia. I don't think you will find many loud dissenters in that atmosphere at the moment. Being so may be hazardous to your health.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Putin doesn't give a flip about history unless HE makes it.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

There is some things which Putin cannot change. And one such is the deep rooted hate for Commies and alike by those subjected to such torturous episodes. And Putin is pretty good in aligning this disgust to include pretty much even the whole Russian populace.

I wonder, what the heck did go wrong between the two flaps at Putin's head. I mean, things were going pretty well in the Republic Putinesque, up until some wacko ideas kept creeping in and pulled the man on a side track where we are today. Is this a mid-life crisis, escape from boredom, when having it all... Today pretty much anything Putin touches becomes el crapo.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Wow, talk about trolling Russia what's up with that!

Straight dictator style too. Oh well, it is Russia. I don't think you will find many loud dissenters in that atmosphere at the moment. Being so may be hazardous to your health.

huh?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Putin doesn't give a flip about history unless HE makes it.

or changes it, as he has been doing with WWII.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

To be honest I think what we see Putin doing is the same as what Hitler did. Ignored his advisors / military in terms of what their current capabilities were compared to what Putin wants.

I still think that is the reason he is over playing the nuke card (which is working against him). The Russian military is still in a sad state of affairs and if push comes to shove I don't think, if a broader war breaks out, that putin would be on the winning end of that. If the latest info from east Ukraine is correct, with Russian troops / tanks / artillery crossing the border and rebels attacking another town, I think the sanctions are going to get worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
You guys must seriously consider the words Deny Ignorance on this forum, nobody is doing his own research. I dont see you democracy fighters commenting on the Ukrainian side. This is the Russian channels that new "Democratically elected Goverment" banned in Ukraine :

1. Первый канал. Всемирная сеть
2. РТР-Планета
3. Россия 24
4. НТВ-Мир
5. ТVCI (ТВ Центр)
6. Россия 1
7. НТВ
8. ТНТ
9. Петербург 5
10. Звезда
11. РЕН-ТВ
12. Life News
13. Russia Today
14. РБК-ТВ

I havent seen a single post on this forum about that. Stop wasting your bandwidth for no reason, I come here to learn something new instead i have to read the same uneducated gossip i hear on the street and on the bus.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Laxus

Russia invaded Ukraine and not the other way around...

nothing the Ukrainian put out changes that fact and no amount of denial or lies from Russia does either.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

That works both ways , so stop bashing one side only. Sorry but i did not see Russian tank crossing Ukrainian borders, and if you referring to Crimea , i think that train has long gone , Crimea is Russia now and will always be. Russians said "we can wait, 10, 30, 50 years it does not matter, leaders change , generation pass away. Sooner or later it will happen. No matter how much you deny it, your opinion will die with you eventually, that where the change will happen.

According to your opinion , Ukraine can do what it wants now , because they can always play the Russian invasion card. That is just an excuse.

That government does not have long to go, we just have to sit and wait.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Laxus
You guys must seriously consider the words Deny Ignorance on this forum, nobody is doing his own research. I dont see you democracy fighters commenting on the Ukrainian side. This is the Russian channels that new "Democratically elected Goverment" banned in Ukraine :

1. Первый канал. Всемирная сеть
2. РТР-Планета
3. Россия 24
4. НТВ-Мир
5. ТVCI (ТВ Центр)
6. Россия 1
7. НТВ
8. ТНТ
9. Петербург 5
10. Звезда
11. РЕН-ТВ
12. Life News
13. Russia Today
14. РБК-ТВ

I havent seen a single post on this forum about that. Stop wasting your bandwidth for no reason, I come here to learn something new instead i have to read the same uneducated gossip i hear on the street and on the bus.

I just aked my ukrainian wife about this and she said that the only russian stuff they shut down in ukraine are some tv shows where people were expressing pro russian sentiments. In ukraine to be able to see these russian channels most of the time you need cable. So the bigger populace wouldnt either way see these channels (IF they were at all shut down)

Without trying to derail the thread; maybe you should ask your russian lords why they lie quite so often on their news programs.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Laxus

Ukraine can do what it needs to defend itself from the Russian invasion and illegal occu0ation of Ukraine territory, Crimea included.

Russia not only violated the Budapest agreement, they violated their own internal laws. As for bashing Russia I don't agree with Putin or his actions and will continue to be critical of him and his stupidity. There are enough people here on the other side of the fence to protect Russia.

Instead of telling me to stop bashing one side, you should look at your own post, where you bashed only the Ukraine side.

Ironic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join