It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the world run out of food?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
My husband was talking about the movie Interstellar. He liked it. I don't watch those types of movies, so he explained the plot of the movie.

Apparently, the earth is dying, running out of food. There are dust storms, and NASA builds this advanced spaceship underground so astronauts can go find another planet to colonize. It's all hush hush, and one of the astronauts survives by eating corn he grows in his yard.

The rest is time travel, black hole, astronaut trying to communicate with his daughter by knocking books off a shelf, ridiculous stuff.

Anyway, let's say the planet were running out of food for real, and the powers that be we're building a secret spaceship.

I wonder how this would be kept such a secret. In real life, that would leak like a sieve. Do you think any government would think they could keep something like that a secret? Instead of talking to experts with advanced degrees, screw it, we'll build a secret spaceship and not tell anyone!

Yeah I know, it's only a movie. What do you all think would happen if this were a real life scenario? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I haven't seen the movie, but yeah, I don't think it's realistic. If food was getting short people would know real quick, imho.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nah, even with out any GMO products are anything like that, there is enough food in the world. In fact if you research it now and in the past, hundreds of tons of food rots every day, help up in ports, and other places. If we really wanted to feed the world and give them water we could. We should. But no we'd rather bail out wall street, give corporations tax breaks and give big oil companies subsidies that they don't need. Blah!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I doubt it. That was used as a scare tactic by the Global Cooling crowd in the 70's, but it is unrealistic.

Only a tiny part of the land is populated now and each generation it takes less and less land to meet our needs. We have surplus food now and the real problem is getting the food to those who need it and past dictators who use starvation as a weapon to control their people.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Not a chance...For instance, there is a warehouse, yes, a warehouse in my area that grows produce indoors, and it takes only 5% of the water that normal produce takes to grow.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

OP is actually referring to the giant spaceship the government is keeping secret from the public - not the shortage of food - at least that is the premise in the movie. Dust storms prevent society from producing enough food - eventually corn is one of the only crops that are able to grow in the conditions, and then eventually the corn stops growing as well.

Meanwhile, NASA i believe is building a giant spaceship to send a handful of experts into space to find other inhabitable worlds by traveling through a wormhole to travel a far distance

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
All the people saying not a chance. Tell that to children in Ethiopia, famine is one of the greatest killers throughout human history.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thank you all for the replies!

I agree that there seems to be a surplus of food. It would be nice if more could be distributed to places that really need it.

I see obese people in my country, and then heartbreaking pictures of people starving to death in other parts of the world. It's a horrible contrast.

I remember my a Great Grandmother telling me about rationing in WWII and victory gardens that everyone grew. People banded together and did what they needed to do.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Over 6 billion humans on earth. That's alot of meat. Don't worry, you wont run out of food to cook in the kitchen.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
All the people saying not a chance. Tell that to children in Ethiopia, famine is one of the greatest killers throughout human history.

The thing with Ethiopia is the misallocation of resources. There is enough food in the world, more than enough. But even if we arranged to ship enough food to Ethiopia for every person there to have three healthy, nutritious meals every day, the governance structure and lack of proper control combined with corruption would more or less ensure that there would still be famine.

We are human beings and we're bastards to each other.

That being said, it is possible that we could experience world wide famine. The large governments of wealthy nations where we only keep a one to three day supply of food in our supermarkets have stopped stockpiling food stores on a national level, and our infrastructure is such that we are heavily dependent on shipping to get food brought in to every area on a regular, uninterrupted basis.

Anything that interrupts that shipping -- war, plague, natural disasters, logistical boondoggles that go on for long enough -- will interrupt the supply chain enough to drain supermarket shelves of food leaving locals with that they keep in their homes ... as we found out with Sandy that's often not much for various reasons.

Also, on a larger scale, anything that happens that would cause large scale ruined growing seasons in the major production areas of the world would deplete food storage of major nations, skyrocketing food prices and hunger where it has almost never been before. Look at what is happening in CA right now. Now imagine something similar happening across the bread basket states where the bulk of our grain production is for whatever reason -- drought, sudden cooling or warming that shifts growth zones, volcanism, etc. We could very quickly be looking at global drain on food supplies in short order.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

In a movie full of poor science (yeah they consulted Physicists to get a realistic black hole .... like it mattered, they ignored the rest), all the food crops failing? That was just a poorly thought out premise. To get that far humanity would have had to have forgotten all it knew about genetics, hydroponics, and the fact we can now 3D print certain things (ie food). The whole "we need farmers not scientists" anymore was also BS.

Now instead if we look at, can humanity sustain the growth we've had? THAT is more likely to be a problem. at some point, unless we go off planet, we are going to have to work out how to keep the infestation (Homo sapiens) under control. Even then, if technology was applied, we could go for a long time.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

"Human beings are bastards to each other" wow - that sentence sent chills down my spine and it's so painfully accurate. I bet you're a great writer. It's so sad that that's the case - the way man can harness so much technology and power (and potential for so much more - potential for a better world for everyone), and yet the corruptible human condition leads individuals and groups of individuals to only be motivated by materialistic/selfish things.
edit on 1-4-2015 by FamCore because: Wanted to elaborate on what I said and add the second half about the human condition

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Another thought that crossed my mind was GMO's aka frankenfood. It's scary that at some point in time, messing around with GMO's could make any food we eat not at all good for the human body.

An example is milk that has hormones, antibiotics and pesticides in it. It seems there are so many younger people getting cancer. I feel there's a link to this.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

What FamCore said - terrific post!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Pay people enough or threaten them in the right way and everybody can learn the ability to keep a secret.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Soooooo i'll take as a yes?

By the way all it would take is a climate shift that could cause drought or cold to bring on famine. Are you familiar with the great Chinese famine 1958 to 61? Estimates are 45 million died from starvation alone, that's excluding one thing famine always brings along disease.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
Anyway, let's say the planet were running out of food for real, and the powers that be we're building a secret spaceship.

I wonder how this would be kept such a secret. In real life, that would leak like a sieve. Do you think any government would think they could keep something like that a secret? Instead of talking to experts with advanced degrees, screw it, we'll build a secret spaceship and not tell anyone!

Yeah I know, it's only a movie. What do you all think would happen if this were a real life scenario? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, it could be done. Camo a no longer used open pit mine or deep valley. House all the workers there and tell them they are going as well. Set up multiple locations connected by a deep underground rail system. Tell the workers that their location is the research/prototype location but have each location tell their workers the same thing while saying all the other locations are assembly locations only. Might take 20 or 30 years, but when it's all done, gather up all the psychopaths, get them on the ships and leave the workers behind.

By the way, I wish I could find the british documentary again, but starting in the 70's over a period of a year, about 50 scientists went totally missing, never heard from again. Many of them were propulsion and physics but a lot were also genetics, microbiology, plant biology, etc.

So, is it possible, sure.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Oh, that gave me goosepimples!

Creepy but plausible scenario.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Oh, that gave me goosepimples!

Creepy but plausible scenario.

There's a scenario for everything, I did a lot of work for CI overseas, always had a cover story, always had to consider all strategic options, always knew what to do next. Funny thing is, in the scenario I outlined, to get the ships boarded with the rich psychopaths, all they have to do is call an emergency, toxic gas, radiation, biohazard, doesn't have to be real, just has to be fear based and convincing, kill a couple of workers with Ricin or hydrogen cyanide and DMSO, easy. Send them terrified to their living quarters behind blast doors and then board and launch. Afterwards, you have all the witnesses and people who built your ships in one enclosed spot. How much better a way in which to gas them in their now "dying" quarters and seal up your trail to the stars?

Fear of dying and hope in the future to keep them working and silent. Fear of dying to get them to huddled in place to die. Such a simple formula.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Those kind of movies??

You have an rose colored view of governments ability to keep secrets. I could name several but why bother?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join