It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Backflips for Babies Fundraiser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Dear ATS,

It's getting nicer outside, and I'm trying to get a the wheels in motion to get a fundraiser going using a particular skillset I have, of backflipping.

I got this idea because I volunteer with an Adaptive Sports program where we teach/help people with physical and mental disabilities participate in snow sports like skiing and riding. In working with this program, there are a lot of children and one thing I've found that the kids really like is when I do backflips for them at the end of the day. It also seems to attract onlookers who are not in the program.

So I wanted to bring it to ATS - because as it stands I have only a very basic idea. No real plan of action.

The thought is that this could either be an event that is held at a public place where people are already out and about may see what's going on and decide it's a good cause and want to become involved.

I'd want this to be something for children with disabilities, or just focusing on a single disability like Spina Bifita. I'd want to choose whichever cause will have a greater attraction so the efforts make a substantial impact.

So other than the simple idea of "backflips for babies" or whatever the cause is for, and working with the Adaptive program I'm already involved in, I'm looking for any other feedback or thoughts from members of ATS. Surely my friends here come from diverse backgrounds and experiences and can provide some sort of input that may improve this fundraiser's success.

P.S. the adaptive program I work with never has a lot of resources at their disposal and don't have a lot of influence so I was thinking it may be good to contact larger organizations, but I wouldn't want to go with any organization that has a questionable reputation, so I wanted to include that piece as well.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or just simple well wishers. There are people who really struggle on a daily basis, struggles most of us can't even imagine. Their families struggle with them as well, and these are not temporary ailments but lifelong circumstances that don't go away or are not treatable. Even if this event isn't a fundraiser - just an event to gain awareness, that also could be a good route to go - as long as it's something that puts some smiles on kids faces (or their families), and helps people learn about these diseases/disabilities, it's worth it to me. Thanks again ATS! I love you guys (and gals)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Man bless you for what you do i empathize with people who care for the disabled.

Try contacting the ADA and run it by them they might have some ideas or thoughts.

I wish I had money I'd definitely donate to your cause !!
a reply to: FamCore

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Thanks for the advice - I'll have to look into this to get an opinion from an organization that knows about legality issues, resources, and whatever other information may be helpful.

I don't think the "Backflips for Babies" name will work, since I'm not actually trying to appeal to the infant demographic haha - i thought about "Backflips for Bifida", but I also don't want the name to come off as offensive or be a put off, so I'll have to re-explore this idea.

But I was thinking of talking to friends who play music to get some live music. I would also like to go to the grocery store to get some watermelons, pineapples, grapes, etc. to have some fruit out for people who stop by (again, need to check into legality of some of this), and talking to the Adaptive program or other charitable organizations that would be willing to talk to volunteers or provide t-shirts, etc. anything we can do to make the event special and to have enough hands on deck.

Thanks again for your input
It is greatly appreciated.

Also, I will get photos of the event to provide an update to my ATS friends when it comes to that point

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yea i know if you appeal to your local grocers and local businesses they may donate to your cause.

anything i can do man let me know!!a reply to: FamCore

top topics

join