It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this ET? Mystery of strange radio bursts from space

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
You are correct. But similar reasoning holds true. What are the chances we just happen to be lined up with the alien beam if it were not intended for us? See what I mean?

Unless a maser is used the RF "beam" isn't coherent, and thus exhibits a fixed dispersion. The angles, etc. being determined by the antenna. So, depending on the distance, it might be quite easy to be within the "beam"

They do, but then there's that whole thing about weak signals also fading due to the scintillation of the interstellar medium. Radio astronomers, especially ones who do SETI always factor in ISM fading because its a significant factor at interstellar distances.

While I wouldn't have expected any scintillation, I would expect to see any radio signal to eventually be buried in the background.

And that of course would be the whole point; to recover these weak signals from the background, as intact as possible. This is part of why radar would apply a "signature" to the signal...so that it can be recognized, and discriminated from the background.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: Thebel

Even if it came from Milky Way, extraterrestrials would need to harness the energy of the star to produce enough energy. If you are familiar with Kardashev scale, this would mean Type II civilization.

Since you mention a type II civilisation....

Perhaps there is a dyson sphere or series of spheres connected as a network surrounding energetic stars used as a power source that intentionally sends these radio bursts in omnidirectional format,

Then we'd have found them with WISE:

Which is why this other paper said this...

Noting both the implied energies, event rate and cosmological distances involved, any associated civilisation is required to be of at least Kardashev Type 2. This begs the question why we don’t see other evidence for the presence of such advanced civilisations elsewhere in the Universe, including in our own backyard.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

originally posted by: JadeStar
You are correct. But similar reasoning holds true. What are the chances we just happen to be lined up with the alien beam if it were not intended for us? See what I mean?

Unless a maser is used the RF "beam" isn't coherent, and thus exhibits a fixed dispersion. The angles, etc. being determined by the antenna. So, depending on the distance, it might be quite easy to be within the "beam"

You are correct so I'll concede this point.

While I wouldn't have expected any scintillation, I would expect to see any radio signal to eventually be buried in the background.

Many think of interstellar space as this deep, empty place. But there are clouds of dust and gas which make up the ISM and that's what causes the fading.

Here is a good lecture on it from someone I met:

And that of course would be the whole point; to recover these weak signals from the background, as intact as possible.

Watch the video above and you'll hear the challenges the ISM presents and limits it places on the ability to recover signal from noise.

This is part of why radar would apply a "signature" to the signal...so that it can be recognized, and discriminated from the background.

That makes sense.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
not sure if this is an update or a reiteration. however it's current.

"Repeating radio signals coming from a mystery source far beyond the Milky Way have been discovered by scientists. While one-off fast radio bursts (FRBs) have been detected in the past, this is the first time multiple signals have been detected coming from the same place in space."

"All of the events seen so far appear to have been one-offs, with subsequent observations failing to find follow-up bursts coming from the same position as the original. However, an international team of researchers has now discovered an additional 10 bursts coming from the same direction as FRB 121102, using the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico."

ARTICLE

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join