It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this ET? Mystery of strange radio bursts from space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Folks, before you say anything, this is NOT April Fool's joke.

Is this ET? Mystery of strange radio bursts from space

Mysterious radio wave flashes from far outside the galaxy are proving tough for astronomers to explain. Is it pulsars? A spy satellite? Or an alien message?

BURSTS of radio waves flashing across the sky seem to follow a mathematical pattern. If the pattern is real, either some strange celestial physics is going on, or the bursts are artificial, produced by human – or alien – technology.

Telescopes have been picking up so-called fast radio bursts (FRBs) since 2001. They last just a few milliseconds and erupt with about as much energy as the sun releases in a month. Ten have been detected so far, most recently in 2014, when the Parkes Telescope in New South Wales, Australia, caught a burst in action for the first time. The others were found by sifting through data after the bursts had arrived at Earth. No one knows what causes them, but the brevity of the bursts means their source has to be small – hundreds of kilometres across at most – so they can't be from ordinary stars. And they seem to come from far outside the galaxy.

The weird part is that they all fit a pattern that doesn't match what we know about cosmic physics.
NewScientist

So during the last 15 years, scientists have received 10 unexplainable pulses from the space. They only last for couple milliseconds and it spreads in multiple different frequencies. If that is not strange enough, every time there is time difference between lowest and highest band. Every time this time difference is the multiple of 187.5, every time. There is not a single known natural process that acts like this. If you think it's pure coincidence, think again, as the change for that is 5/10 000. There is high probability that it originates from Milky Way. It also could be signal from unknown satellite (Black Knight?). Pulsars could be another source, but this is unlikely, as they are not regular. One explanation would be also extraterrestrials.

But if they were extraterrestrials, this way of sending signals would not be the easiest. The problem would be generating enough energy for this wide-band transmission. Narrow band would be more efficient. If this signal comes from outside the Milky Way, it would need enormous amounts of energy. Even if it came from Milky Way, extraterrestrials would need to harness the energy of the star to produce enough energy. If you are familiar with Kardashev scale, this would mean Type II civilization.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
They had another thread earlier and I posted the following:

On June 2, 1875, while working in one room with their experimental telegraphic device, Watson tried to free a reed that had been too tightly wound around the pole of its electromagnet. He inadvertently plucked the reed, which produced a twang that Bell heard on a second device in another room. This discovery led Bell to change his focus from improving the telegraph to figuring out a way to realize the potential for voice transmissions

Maybe just a random coincidence but considering the first sound transmission took place in 1875 (Alexander Graham Bell) perhaps there may be something to it...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My feeling is we'll get something from SETI eventually. It used to be I thought SETI was all BS. I thought our government was lying about UFOs and was just conveniently helping to prop up organizations like SETI to distract the public. However, I kind of grew out of that. I also used to be a christoan, but now I'm an agnostic atheist. People change. And then there's the cancer thing. I used to think we just needed to eat healthy and exercise and care for our environment and symbiosis. I felt back then our lack of respect for nature and other creatures was the reason cancer and other things plagued us. However, I grew out of that. I now believe cancer is much more indiscriminate about who and what it attacks. And while science is showing exercise reduces cancer, there's not much evidence to show eating healthy or 'caring for the environment' will reduce it. Turns out the best weapon we have against cancer right now is 3d chemotherapy. I used to think chemotherapy was evil. Like fake food filled with fake sugar, created merely to fill someone's wallet and to keep us all stupid. I think that, like 3d chemotherapy, SETI will yield real results.

I'm still skeptical of this particular case, though. I recall reading about a woman who worked in astronomy and who came upon some signals while in collaberation with others. She might have been the person they based the character in the Contact movie on. The regular pulses bothered them. She and others speculated the signal they were receiving was ET in origin. Eventually they figured out it was something normal, like neutron star or quasar or something. I can't remember what it was, but it was natural. My feeling is this case has a potential to turn out natural too, but you never know for sure until the science comes in.

EDIT: The woman I was referencing is Jocelyn Bell Burnell. Here's al ink to the story I read probably a few years ago now:
www.bigear.org - Little Green Men, White Dwarfs or Pulsars?...
edit on 1-4-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackmetalmist
They had another thread earlier and I posted the following:

On June 2, 1875, while working in one room with their experimental telegraphic device, Watson tried to free a reed that had been too tightly wound around the pole of its electromagnet. He inadvertently plucked the reed, which produced a twang that Bell heard on a second device in another room. This discovery led Bell to change his focus from improving the telegraph to figuring out a way to realize the potential for voice transmissions

Maybe just a random coincidence but considering the first sound transmission took place in 1875 (Alexander Graham Bell) perhaps there may be something to it...

1875? That is quite bizarre indeed when the multiple is 187.5

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I think that like most things on the Earth, what we initially think is damaging, may actually help us out in the long run. I think that they should continue monitoring this so called signal and it continues, they may want to eliminate other options before jumping to any conclusions. This very well could be a pulsar or a white dwarf.

This could be the call we are all waiting for. There seems to be something shifting in the way we all think and the way life feels. As mentioned in another thread, we are all now experiencing some time of "deja vu, dreamlike state".

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I know of a researched that was told to shut up about certain signals and a mundane explanation given. They weren't mundane signals nor were they explainable unless from extraterrestrial intelligence sources and purposeful as there wasn't uniformity, a pattern was established. IMO there is more communication than that which filters to MSM.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth
Who? Did he only tell it to you, or can you verify?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheElectricAnt

I am educated, and intelligent, I have reason to believe it, though cannot give more details.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Thebel

even better 1875/5=375
what does that remind you of? Exactly:

Starbase 375 from the dominion-wars. Creepy.
joking

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's certainly interesting, worth keeping an eye on. 👀

👣

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Thebel
What kind of transmitter do you suppose it would take to send out the equivalent of our sun's energy for two months in a few milliseconds?
If it is aliens.... we should probably be afraid.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
interesting stuff

sounds like a beacon to me.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19186659]Thebel[/post

Why hasn't this been discussed before if they have been tracking these for so many years?
Has anyone heard of this signal before this report?
There isn't near enough discussion on this topic... For me anyway...

With it being so powerful, a natural source seems likely... There is so much we do not know about the cosmos.. With that said, I welcome an intelligent source if that is what it turns out to be..
Harnessing the power of a star..!!!?? Very impressive.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Not to go off topic here, but the pulses heard in the movie contact were actually tons of numbers, which also lead to blueprints of a machine that would eventually take Jodie Foster to her father out in the galaxy in a fraction of a second, she was gone for like 14 hours or something in her life but only a fraction of a second on Earth....But I do appreciate and understand what you were trying to convey above...

These signals could be anything, it is nice to hear about them though...Normally we wouldn't hear about anything until it has been proven false already...Not saying this hasn't already and we just didn't hear about it yet, but we are always left out of any loop to keep the general public from mass hysteria in the event ET or anything else is found!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

These have been heard before and occasionally surface in MSM.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com...

www.newscientist.com...

Are these mystery radio bursts messages from ALIENS? Study finds freak frequencies from outside the Milky Way ALL form unexplained multiples of 187.5
Scientists are trying to work out what is causing Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs)
The strange signals occur for a few milliseconds and come from nowhere
The first was detected in 2007, but only a handful have been seen since
Explanations range from colliding neutron stars to alien signals

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... nexplained-multiples-187-5.html#ixzz3W55SFzYv

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If there would be a poll, or a riddle solving event, I'd say: Quasar!
Not only is it fun to say "Quasar!", they also look beautiful: (artist interpretation)

and from Wiki

Quasars (/ˈkweɪzɑr/) or quasi-stellar radio sources are the most energetic and distant members of a class of objects called active galactic nuclei (AGN). Quasars are extremely luminous and were first identified as being high redshift sources of electromagnetic energy, including radio waves and visible light, that appeared to be similar to stars, rather than extended sources similar to galaxies.

So I feel comfy, i guess i picked a strong candidate.

Would also have a few more awesome, fun conspiracy theories, if someone would be interested?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Its a warning Transmitter to keep away from earth because its a DNA storage site.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Are the various signals available anywhere to listen to and download or record?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist

If I get you... and you weren't kidding (hard to tell sometimes)... how would aliens equate our Earth dating randomly starting with a zombie cult figure's birth and how that is the same as the frequency 18.75?

No correlation ... does not compute... does not compute... (bangs into wall repeatedly)

ETA Unless it was human sourced... 'someone familiar with Earth dating' sourced, that is. Secret space force... anyone?

edit on 4/1/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you want to know more, check out the recently published study

DISCRETE STEPS IN DISPERSION MEASURES OF FAST RADIO BURSTS (PDF)

It shows some interesting diagrams

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join