It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saw my first Green Meteor this Morning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
04.30, central Scotland. On a heading from north to south, I lost her behind some trees before she burned out.

I had just woken up and decided a whizz and a smoke was in order. Hanging out my window with eyes still blurry and not adjusted from the sleep, i caught her in my peripheral vision as she came directly over the top of the drainpipe above my head.

It was all over before i could think straight as to what i was seeing, a few variables ran through my head in that split few seconds..

Was it a spark from my smoke,?... Were my eyes playing blurry tricks on me,? .....Could it be the Green Lady/Goblin whatever,... Could i have a brain tumor,? all possibilities, but then it dawned on me it's one of them Bolide Meteors i have read about here....SHE WAS SO GREEN AND SHE WAS AWESOME!!!!

Just thought i would share...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Amazing aren't they . Close to 40 years ago that i had the privilege of seeing one and it is like it happened yesterday .

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Amazing aren't they . Close to 40 years ago that i had the privilege of seeing one and it is like it happened yesterday .

Sure was, I only wish i had the full uninterrupted panoramic view of the event and not just the end part.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I remember seeing one as a kid while at a summer camp. It was so low and bright that it burned a ghost image on my retina like a camera flash.. Bright green.. I'll never forget it.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

When I was flying back from Thailand I saw one, not green, out of the plane 2 days ago. I actually got the tail on camera! Its my 2nd one in 3 years but first one I could take a photo of.

F&S

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion

When I was flying back from Thailand I saw one, not green, out of the plane 2 days ago. I actually got the tail on camera! Its my 2nd one in 3 years but first one I could take a photo of.

F&S

"Not Green"... doesn't count...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
A couple of us were out walking one night about five years ago (too hot during the day) and bam! big green meteor. Bright as an arc welder, and copper green, covered about half the sky leaving a trail of sparks. Very striking.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Mine was out of a car window and my father had time to stop . The meteor is still imprinted but the exact circumstances are pretty dim . I seem to remember other cars stopping as well .

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Oh shoot!!!!
Well, it was a falling something....

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

A meteor burning green indicates the a copper composition, is that correct?

What beauty the cosmos have to offer

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Wait a minute - I thought you were buggering off for a while IO? I'm sure it was only a week ago I read you were going to Thailand and now you're back? Time flies, I hope you had a great time.

As for the OP:

SHE WAS SO GREEN AND SHE WAS AWESOME!!!!

It's great that meteors and shooting stars have this effect on us. We love them and they inspire excitement! I remember seeing an orange meteor which broke into two and then a blue one (they were part of a storm in 1996ish) and I distinctly remember going absolutely ape with excitement.

Well spotted.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

What was "hanging out the window?"
edit on 1-4-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

What was "hanging out the window?"

My big fat head. I was having a smoke.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

A meteor burning green indicates the a copper composition, is that correct?

What beauty the cosmos have to offer

I dont have a clue, but your suggestion of copper does make sense..yeah, it's pretty cool. i just wish it had flown in my window so i could get a closer look.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

You are correct, I did go, and came back 3 days ago. I already have 5 or 6 threads up, one of them containing photos of the meteor/asteroid tail I photographed.

Back on topic. I saw one about 7 years ago with a yellow tail as me and my dad drove home. We watched it for about 2 minutes as it was above us, slightly infont of us, traveling the same direction as we were driving.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yeah, I've talked about the green bolide I saw here before, but it was so incredibly amazing, I don't mind talking about it every chance I get, lol.

Guess because I was outback camping just outside Longreach Australia, it made it all so much brighter. But everything just lite up like it was day, looked up to the sky and there was a giant green fireball coming straight at me (or so it seemed). I just laugh every time I think of my reaction, out of pure instinct, I just run and dived head first into my open car window, I mean, what else do you do when your relaxing out bush late at night by yourself one second, then the next second you got a giant fireball coming straight at you, lol.

Seemed to last a while for me, but then my mind tends to slow to a slow crawl in dramatic situations............. But anyway, congratulations mate, it's an amazing site and apparently your lucky to see one.

Just hope I get the chance to witness something like that again.
edit on 1-4-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I've seen a couple of very bright (and colorful) meteors in my life, but I was also lucky enough to witness the famous "Peekskill Meteorite" in 1992 as it flew over Pennsylvania, on its way to crashing into the trunk of a parked car in Peekskill New York.

At the time, it was one of the most filmed fireballs meteors ever because it occurred on a Friday evening when many people were watching (and filming) High School football games.

edit on 4/1/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Yeah, I've talked about the green bolide I saw here before, but it was so incredibly amazing, I don't mind talking about it every chance I get, lol.

Guess because I was outback camping just outside Longreach Australia, it made it all so much brighter. But everything just lite up like it was day, looked up to the sky and there was a giant green fireball coming straight at me (or so it seemed). I just laugh every time I think of my reaction, out of pure instinct, I just run and dived head first into my open car window, I mean, what else do you do when your relaxing out bush late at night by yourself one second, then the next second you got a giant fireball coming straight at you, lol.

Seemed to last a while for me, but then my mind tends to slow to a slow crawl in dramatic situations............. But anyway, congratulations mate, it's an amazing site and apparently your lucky to see one.

Just hope I get the chance to witness something like that again.

Ha, Great story ya big girls bottom. You should have manned up and taken the hit in the face..lol.

Lucky to see one, are they really that rare??...this is getting more awesomer by the minute.. Cool.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Well I've spent over 4 and a half years sleeping under the inland aussie sky, where it's usually so clear that the milky way just shines right across the sky every night and yet have only witnessed one green fireball, so they can't be that common.

Yeah, should of sat back and just enjoyed it, but just took my brain a second to comprehend what was going on, lol. It was just like that youtube vid above. Started off as one big fireball, then when I looked back it was all in pieces. Thought it was fire works the second time I looked (from my car window, lol) and had a chance to think about it.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Different elements emit different-colored light when they burn. Iron, one of the most common elements found in meteors, glows yellow. Silicates, which contain a form of the element silicon, glow red. A green glow, clearly visible in the trail of this shooting star, indicates the presence of burning copper.

Silicates apparently make meteors glow red - I'd love to see a bright red one, that's something I've yet to see

Nat Geo - Education

top topics

<<   2 >>

join