It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm not sure whether this posts belongs to Science, Space, Religion, or Philosophy.

I would like to read your views on the following:

1. What is the origin of Space?
2. Where did matter come from?
3. Are different Stars comparable, or are they different like the planets in our solar system?
4. Do we know of other planets orbiting around other stars?
5. What could have caused the big bang?
6. What is intelligence (can there be intelligence without energy)?
7. What is the life-span of our Sun, and what happens when it becomes hotter or cooler, or extinguishes?
8. Why were different religions revealed at different times?
9. If there are Aliens, UFO's etc., then where did they come from?
10. What is the temperature in Space (say, very far way from the Sun, or in-between Solar systems)
11. How likely is it that Solar systems could collide?
12. What will happen when the Earth's mantle becomes cold?
13. What is the purpose of it all?

[edit on 19/12/04 by aSEEKER]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
3. yes there comparible, size and temps and masses are different.
4. yes, around 140 planets
6. without energy?
, Life: living organism
9. we dont even know if they do, let alone where there from.
10. It will be at least 50 years before we will know, as of yet, are space craft are slow.
11. 100% (the same percentage of an asteroid hiting the earth)

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I simply don't know...

See above.

3. Are different Stars comparable, or are they different like the planets in our solar system?
Yes, besides just a small variation in size and mass most stars of a class are probably alike.

We know of a few hundred planets orbiting stars detected by the wobble technique.
By 2013 we will have the instrument in place to be able to see what far away planets resemble Earth.

Don�t know. Was it a Big Bang?

Come again?

7. What is the life-span of our Sun, and what happens when it becomes hotter or cooler,
or extinguishes?
It is supposed to be ~10 billion years and we are supposed to be ~55% of the way through� The numbers have changed -.5 billion in the last few years� These are supposed numbers though.
Most now believe that within' 200 thousand years All mankind will have to abandon Earth due to its oceans evaporating from the Suns increased energy bleed off. Eventually these will be sent further out into the solar system and beyond as the Sun goes bang. In the far future the dwarf of what used to be our very own life giving Sun will be nothing but a madly compressed ball of compressed crap only a few miles in diameter. Man, if we are still in this galaxy/part of it then will probably harvest its brain/materials and whatnot...

I don�t know.

The will be asking the same question of us in a few decades-centuries�
They came from their Sun-solar system.
Anyone that can look at space photos of galaxies and hear what scientists have been telling us the past few years and tell you they don�t believe in other life be it uber simple or madly complicated are either extremely ignorant/stupid or lying�

10. What is the temperature in Space (say, very far way from the Sun, or in-between Solar systems)
It differs from places of gas and star influence� I believe most think its ~absolute zero near-past the Oort Cloud.

Has happened before and will happen again. Just like galaxies collide, though, most of the time its non violent. Our galaxy, the Milky Way will collide with M-31/Andromeda in the future� There is evidence of a 13 billion year old planet maybe like Earth that was orbiting a star until it died and the planet was cast off into space only to be captured by another nearby binary star�

It is happening now. Earthquakes and volcanoes, basically anything to do geologically is slowing down and will eventually shut down. It will probably happen in the next few hundred million years/billion at most. Mars has already gone through the process due to its smaller size. At that time, our Earth will be dead.

Man will probably never know. Best we can do is making good out of this fortunate life we have and progress towards the future, seeking out new frontiers and having a good time doing so. We can either do it waringly or peacefully and pull of a Star Trek like existence albeit probably without all the aliens�

[edit on 20-12-2004 by ChrisRT]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
1. Whats your definition of space?
2. The big bang
3. There are stars that are of a similar type, compare this to the different peoples of Earth.
4. Over 100
5. There are many theories, one being that the universe was 8-dimensional, and sorta cracked, creating two universes, our sister universe is in ours but its smaller than the string verses that make up everything.
6. Any life form that is self aware
7. Our sun is middle-aged, most yellow stars live 9-10billion years, it will eventually expand due to the loss of nuclear material, it will eventually go supernova and destroy the solar system (4billion years from now.)
8. Belief and knowledge changed, technicaly they were created by people not revealed.
9. Other life baring planets.
10. Between absolute zero and 30,000 degrees
11. Dont know the number, it has happened though Galaxies colide with another, in fact our galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy will collide within the next few billion years.
12. Quakes Volcanoes, stuff like that.
13. Insufficient information for a meaningful answer, in my opinion it is to live your life to its fullest extent and learn as much as possible.

[edit on 12/20/2004 by iori_komei]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
No one knows. There are several scientific theories though.
Matter may just be "thick" space. Again, no one knows.
Stars come in various sizes but all boil down to just large fussion fire balls.
Yes.
Collisions between branes seems to be the most likely according to science.
Intelligence is the abilty to react to one's enviroment. Intelligence requires a medium and therefore energy.
7. What is the life-span of our Sun, and what happens when it becomes hotter or cooler, or extinguishes?
About 8-12 billion years of which 4.5 or so is already spent. When the sun dies, so does the solar system.
Christianity and Islam were based on men, so they came about because of the existance of those men. The other religions were not so much revealed and created through a process of philosophy and human beliefs.
If there are, they would probably come from other planets or other dimensions.
2.725K, close to absolute zero.
100%
If this happens before our sun dies, the earth magnetic field would drop and the planet would be irradiated by the sun.
Purpose implies intent. I'd say there is none, or simply to exist.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

iori
it will eventually go supernova and destroy the solar system

Our sun wont destroy the whole solar sytem, before it goes supernova it grows and will consume Mercury, Venus, and possibly earth, but doubtfull Mars as well, and the other planet's will still remain.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
1. My arse
2. My arse
3. Yes
4. Yes?
5. My arse
6. When a being can make a cup of tea and not before
7. It goes away
8. Because people at different times made them up
9. My arse
10. If your very very very far into space but not so far you are at another star but inbetween or there abouts, its very very very very nippy.
11. 1 in 3
12. Eggs last longer
13. My arse

Applogies for mentioning my arse so much but i genuinly belive it to be true. Any more questions do not heitate to ask.

"Truth is beauty, beauty is truth my arse is beautiful therefor it is true"
Me

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

The origin of space has come from an infinite collection of energy and matter that eventually bursted forward to make this universe, there are probably multiple universes, all made by collections of matter from transdimensional rifts and such.

Different dimensions, and they come forward from dimensional rifts.

Theres different types of stars, but theyre all relatively the same in ways they do fission and gases

yes, thousands. All planets are are large collections of rock thatform themselves gravity due to gastral or molten fission in a core, and form into a sphere, then get caught into a star's gravitational pull. Theres probably millions of planets, in our galaxy alone.

Fission and too much compressed matter caused a chain reaction of explosions that spread the matter outward

Intelligence is the ability to cognitively deciever problems to form solutions

7. What is the life-span of our Sun, and what happens when it becomes
hotter or cooler, or extinguishes?

The life span is this.
Gas-> Small sun -> Yellow Sun -> Red Giant -> brown Dwarf -> White Dwarf
-> Supernova -> Black Hole

Religions are made by man to explain the surroundings of their enviroments. as Man grew more intelligent, religions became more popular of explanations for the world, and more religions were made. Now as our race continues to gain more intelligence, Religion is slowly recedingto more current and accurate means of explanation of the universe

Either for resource mining (coal, oil, nuclear fission, Hydrogen deposits etc), or they live here with us secretly, or theyre like explorers, viewing other cultures (like we do in the amazon and in africa)

just an estimation, around -200 degrees F

It happens often, infact large galaxies often collide and form into larger galaxies

The planet will revolve slower, get colder, and eventually loose much of its atmosphere

To breed, reproduce, live. Thats about all

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I know many have already answered, but what they heck!

Originally posted by aSEEKER

The Big Bang... An infitessimal, infinitely dense and masses spec the size of nothing bursts foreward to create our universe. Here's a rough chronology of the Big Bang for you:

1.) 0 seconds: Energy erupts from nothing
2.) 0-10^-43 seconds (Planck Time): Universe is VERY hot (10^36 Kelvin) and VERY dense (10^90 kg/cm^3)
3.) 10^-35 seconds: Inflation; universe expands. Gravity "cools" out of Unified Forces.
4.) 10^-6 seconds: Matter begins; quarks form neutrons and protons
5.) 3 seconds: Matter forms; electrons "cool" into existence. Hydrogen, helium, and trace amounts of lithium form.
6.) 500,000 years: Universe becomes transparant to photons. Heavier atoms begin to form. Galaxies begin to form from vast clouds of hydrogen gas.

They are different. There are several types of stars. They are defined by temperature, spectral class, luminosity, and absolute magnitude. All stars can be drawn onto what's called the Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram seen below. It shows where the different types of stars can be located. Our Sun has a luminosity of 1, and is a G2 (spectrum) Main Sequence star.

Yes, in fact there is an online source about there here: The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopedia

God.

Intelligence is a collection of information, facts, or knowledge. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "without energy" though. A human is intelligent, a dog is intelligent, a computer is intelligent. Intelligence is different from life or a soul.

The lifespan of our Sun is about 10-12 billion years. It is about 4.6 billion years old now.

As the Sun gets older it will begin to run out of hydrogen to fuse into helium. As this happens it will expand in order to sustain fusion, but the fusion of helium into carbon now. The outer surface will cool and become red (It'll be in the "Giants" section of the HR Diagram above) while under the immense pressure the inside of the Sun will soar to 100 million Kelvin, compared to the 16 million Kelvin that the core is currently burning at. Also, as this happens the Sun will envelope Mercury, Venus, Earth, and possibly even Mars.

Eventually the internal pressures of fusing helium into carbon will be too much for the star and it will eject approximately half of its mass into space, forming a planetary nebula and leaving the star as a white dwarf. The gas will surround the star in a glowing shell for about the next 50,000 years. The white dwarf is a small, dense stellar corpse of a star that is about the size of the Earth.

Not quite sure what you mean... Many religions are very old, and have existed since the beginning of history.

UFOs can be anything in the air that's unidentifiable and not neccesarily a alien craft. As for aliens? No idea...

6 Kelvin

Not very. Galaxies do collide, but oddly enough that just triggers more star formation.

No idea... You could send a u2u to RockHunter about this one.

EDIT: Fixing quotes...

[edit on 12/21/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   

God.

How can anyone who likes astronomy and likes science possibly believe the existance of an all powerfull being?
Myself, I was brought up as a christian, so i'm probably one of the few anti-christ christians. lol
If anything I say the bible refers to what we now call "aliens" to be this all powerfull being, hey, if the shoe fits.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
*Applause* for all of you: I appreciate your valuable contributions and input.

Having read the various answers, we can all conclude that there must have been a sequence (or chain - if you like) of events.

The confusion that I still have is this: we can speculate after time>0, but cannot for t

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The sweet smell of a rose can be atributed to chaos.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
The sweet smell of a rose can be atributed to chaos.

Yes precisely, but isn't that utterly absurd?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
How can anyone who likes astronomy and likes science possibly believe the existance of an all powerfull being?
Myself, I was brought up as a christian, so i'm probably one of the few anti-christ christians. lol
If anything I say the bible refers to what we now call "aliens" to be this all powerfull being, hey, if the shoe fits.

Well I was born and raised Christian. In fact I went to Catholic school for 13 years (including the year of pre-school.) But when you see such beautiful things in the universe, and even here on Earth, you can't help but think there must be something greater. I don't think that God controls anything, and I don't even know what my concept of a God is. In fact, I think it's more like a computer program solving a complex algorythm. Someone started it up, when everything was booted, hit run, and is just sitting back now to enjoy the show.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Energy erupts from nothing
[edit on 12/21/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

Now see...I can go along with everything you wrote before and after this...except this little tidbit.
This would tells us that our physics are not correct wouldn't it? I mean it would disallow for at least 2 laws right?

" first law of Thermodynamics is the "law of conservation". It says that energy can never be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed from one form to another form"

So..what was there..and what caused the transformation? Would that mean there were two elements present, or did the "nothing" react with "something" and poof here's the universe expanding forever...which brings into question another law of physics
Newtons Third Law--every action has an equal and opposite reaction...so was there a big Gnab somewhere or is "our" universe the result of the opposite reaction?

if our understanding of physics is wrong, wouldn't that open a whole new world?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was just keeping it simple... I was just saying nothing mainly because I, like the rest of the human race, has no idea what it was that set the Big Bang off. For all we know it could have been nothing, then again it could have been everything.

As for Newton's Third Law, it's been hypothesized that there will be a Big Crunch in coming billions of years. This would be the universe contracting back into whatever it was before the Big Bang. I guess that could sort of be the same. There is the also the "Flat-line" theory, in which the universe continues to expand infinitely.

E_T

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
7. What is the life-span of our Sun, and what happens when it becomes hotter or cooler,
or extinguishes?
It is supposed to be ~10 billion years and we are supposed to be ~55% of the way through… The numbers have changed -.5 billion in the last few years… These are supposed numbers though.
Most now believe that within' 200 thousand years All mankind will have to abandon Earth due to its oceans evaporating from the Suns increased energy bleed off. Eventually these will be sent further out into the solar system and beyond as the Sun goes bang. In the far future the dwarf of what used to be our very own life giving Sun will be nothing but a madly compressed ball of compressed crap only a few miles in diameter.

If something destroys mankind in that 200k years it's mankind itself.
It takes about billion years from sun to "cook" earth which happens much before it engulfs inner solar system.
And sun compressed to couple kilometer would propably cause its collapse to blackhole.

And about future of universe, currenty it looks like density of universe is much smaller than critical density meaning its infinitely expanding. Also in last few years it has been detected that expanding is accelerating.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The Big Bang theory came from the fact that the universe is infinitly expanding due to a major explosion, there is also the String Theory but I am not too familiar with this theory...Stephen Hawkins came up with the string theory I believe...

I personally believe the universe was created by a collection of spirits/souls in another realm that exists in a dimension which is timeless, kinda like a game, I don't believe in one super-being, I believe we are all powerful enough to become a god if you will and I also believe there is already many gods out there which have some power over the universes.

But ofcourse, like all religion this is pure speculation.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
How is chaos absurd?
It makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You are entitled to that belief. I am not you though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join