It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Whole Indiana law thing...I'm Irritated.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

What I would do is require a disclaimer on the front door. You have to tell the world about the rules of your so-called, enterprise.

Like this:

IIRC, a Democrat in one state that was considering such a "religious freedom" law added an amendment to the proposed law stating just that. If a business wanted to take advantage of its freedom of prejudice, it had to state so in all signage and advertising. After that, I believe the bill never made it out of committee.

On the other side of the issue, there are a number of businesses in Indiana that have made their own signs and stickers:

-dex

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

well then. Should we let people stop servicing someone who is black?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So question.

Let's say that someone wants a KKK cake. Should businesses be forced to make it even though they fundamentally disagree?

I'm upset about the law too, but I can also empathize with people who have very deep beliefs, even if I think they're jackasses.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

First off there's not a racist bone in my body. But yes if a business owner wants to not service blacks he should have the right to. A decision like that will put him out of business in no time. (and I would be one of the first people in line to protest because that is my right) You see rights are funny things but once you start giving them up you continue to give them up.

But he should still have the right to make that choice. The government shouldn't tell him what to do.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

But you are looking at it in a vacuum, narrowly, from the sole perspective of one individual.

But a business exists within a society and, in the U.S., our society has a foundation on which we agree to deal with each other in all other aspects - it's called the Constitution and Bill of Rights and it protects not just individual rights but also minority groups from the tyranny of the majority.

Deal with it.
edit on 3/31/2015 by kosmicjack because: clarification

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Let's say that someone wants a KKK cake.

Irony! Comparing discriminating against a group that stands for discrimination to defend legalizing discrimination!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

But a business exists within a society

And the people in that society can decide who they want to patronize. If they don't agree with the business owners practices they do not patronize them. The government should not have any say in it whatsoever.

The Bill of Rights was not designed to discriminate against any group. Therefore your choices are yours to make.

Understand the Constitution then deal with it.
edit on 31-3-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

If it was as simple as that, the Civil Rights act would never have passed.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

So, do you want to roll back the Civil Rights Act and state's civil right's laws too?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Now that you both narrowed it down to a single issue. Let me tell you something it's not as simple as the Civil Rights Act. Government regulations in business are much more complicated than the one issue you to choose to harp on.

Most people in the real world think everybody on here is nuts. How would you feel if the government passed regulations banning sites like this because of dissension from government policies and agitation?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

*crickets*

Well, in that particular scenario we would rely on our First Amendment rights.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The same rights that worked so well under McCarthyism?

You're probably going to need to Google that young one.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Most people in the real world think everybody on here is nuts.

Really? Real people like the Governor of Connecticut and the CEOs of Angie's List and Walmart?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Really???? Lol

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Now that you both narrowed it down to a single issue. Let me tell you something it's not as simple as the Civil Rights Act. Government regulations in business are much more complicated than the one issue you to choose to harp on.

Yes it is complicated. When an entity goes into business they have to have a business license. Essentially a contract with the state you want to do business in. If you have a business license, you are required by law to sign a policy statement that applies to your customers as well as employees.......guess what it says?

chrome-extension://gbkeegbaiigmenfmjfclcdgdpimamgkj/views/app.html

www.kingcounty.gov...

rbr.com...

www.surepayroll.com...

Obviously you aren't a business owner or you would know this and parroting back Rush doesn't help your credibility when you let your
ideology get in the way of common sense and reality.

edit on 31-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yes I am a business owner am I am quite familiar with the regulations. To tell you the truth I agree with almost all of them. But I still think a man should be able to decide who he wants to do business with and that it should not be the governments decision. I have no problems I would follow everyone of the regulations on my own. It's just that I don't think the government has the right to tell me to. Can you get that through your thick head?

Or do the three of you somehow think you smell blood in the water where there isn't any?

I've seen Most people on this site complain regularly about government regulations and how Americans are losing their rights. Apparently you only want the rights lost that you agree with.

Which goes back to my original statement. Once you forfeit any right it's easier for the government to take them the next time.

Society does and will regulate ourselves in due time we do not need the government stepping in to tell us how it's done.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Yes I am a business owner am I am quite familiar with the regulations. To tell you the truth I agree with almost all of them. But I still think a man should be able to decide who he wants to do business with and that it should not be the governments decision. I have no problems I would follow everyone of the regulations on my own. It's just that I don't think the government has the right to tell me to. Can you get that through your thick head?

If everyman was honorable as you, there would be no need for regulations. But they aren't, infact their are predatory businesses that will abuse their employees and cheat their customers. And they don't care if they are forced out of business because they just move on and do it again. That's why we need regulations, Cant you get that thru your thick head?

Society does a pisspoor job of regulating itself. Get that thru your thick head? Without some kind of regulating entity it would be anarchy and chaos because civilization is just a very thin veneer on basically brutal and savage animals.

edit on 31-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

So now were talking about labor laws instead of what customers business has a right to refuse?

Edit; by the way where was this benevolent government in 2008 when bubble burst. They sure stepped in and put a lot of crooks and bankers in jail that failed to comply with the regulations didn't they?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

So now were talking about labor laws instead of what customers business has a right to refuse?

Why do you think Walmart got involved! This in a nightmare is the making for large employers! A real can of worms!

edit on 31-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Well, in certain circumstances you can discriminate. But, as Olaru said, when your business enters the public domain, you have to accept the unwritten social contract that exists and is founded upon certain ideals. And, sometimes, as is the case with licensing, the written contract too.

For instance, if you own under a certain amount of property and are renting or selling, you can do so to whomever you'd like ( or not) - as long as you don't make, print or publish any discriminatory statements. But you have no such exemption if you are a professional realtor or an apartment manager or own more than three properties.

But..not trying to sandbag you or belabor the issue...just get perplexed when people pick and choose which aspects of civil society they participate in. Everyone wants freedom for themselves but are so often outraged or inconvenienced by the expectation of freedom others also have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join