It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Whole Indiana law thing...I'm Irritated.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So, can somebody answer me this?

Before this law was enacted, was an atheist business allowed to discriminate against Christians? As in, not serve them because they believe in Jesus?

If yes, can they do so now?

If no, can they do so now?

Because if either of those is no, then this whole thing is literally a giant circle jerk for religious folks. It proves without a doubt, that the law intends to use your religion as a means of denying others services.

Like Mr. Pence says, tolerance works both ways and as an Atheist I SHOULD be allowed to tell the Christian who walks into my coffee shop to find his caffeine fix elsewhere cause I don't appreciate who he prays to.

Right?

This whole thing is REALLY REALLY stupid.

/rant

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Link to law? This is the first I've heard of it...

But I'm fairly certain if you discriminate against Christians they'll throw you in prison, regardless of law

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Personally I also think the whole thing is stupid. A business owner should be able to serve whoever in the hell he wants to damn the nanny state. The fact that the Government gets so far into our business that they deem it necessary to delegate who a business owner can serve to is offensive to me in the first place.

Edit; So on the whole, if the government wasn't so far into our business already there would've been no need for law like this.
edit on 31-3-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm from Indiana, but don't know if that was allowed or not. Guess I'll keep an eye out for an answer. I'm definitely anti-christian after this mess though.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

To answer your question: Yes, it is just one big circle jerk. I am on the same boat as you tenth it is stupid.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd
I'm from Indiana, but don't know if that was allowed or not. Guess I'll keep an eye out for an answer. I'm definitely anti-christian after this mess though.

Yeah I'm super bothered by this. I mean, even the issue with 'clarifying the bill'.

If it leads to discrimination, then let the courts deal with it. Best way to show something is going to be bad is just to let it happen a lot of the time.

I'm just amazed that protecting religious freedoms seem to come at the cost of removing those freedoms from others...

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do believe it's morally wrong to discriminate in such a manner; regardless of which group is discriminating against another group. But that my opinion and it's totally subjective.

The question here is revolving around legality. Is it legally wrong to deny someone your services based on race/ethnicity/belief system?

Government with that much power is scary to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What gets to me the most is how religion is a primary reason humanity hasn't come together as a whole yet.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: newWorldSamurai

Is it legally wrong to deny someone your services based on race/ethnicity/belief system?

I look at it this way. If you are a business, you're receiving benefits from the government. That can be in payroll deductions, tax breaks etc.

That means, that you are taking tax payer money. Cause a tax cut isn't a cut, it's tax spending. That money has to come from somewhere. Now I'd rather just shop at some place that aren't filled with bigots, but I have variety cause I live in a fairly large area with lots of choice.

A lot of people don't. So here we have a good, tax paying member of society who can't get a dress made let's say at the towns only bridal shop, cause the owner is a bigot.

I think, legally as well as morally that's wrong.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
So, can somebody answer me this?

Before this law was enacted, was an atheist business allowed to discriminate against Christians? As in, not serve them because they believe in Jesus?

If yes, can they do so now?

If no, can they do so now?

Because if either of those is no, then this whole thing is literally a giant circle jerk for religious folks. It proves without a doubt, that the law intends to use your religion as a means of denying others services.

Like Mr. Pence says, tolerance works both ways and as an Atheist I SHOULD be allowed to tell the Christian who walks into my coffee shop to find his caffeine fix elsewhere cause I don't appreciate who he prays to.

Right?

This whole thing is REALLY REALLY stupid.

/rant

How do you know who is gay, straight, Christian or whatever unless they open their big mouth and tell you? It isn't like race that you can somewhat identify.

I wouldn't discriminate against anyone, but I also don't want to hear about your religion or gayness or anything either. Just shut up and spend your money.
edit on 2015/3/31 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

How do you know who is gay, straight, Christian or whatever unless they open their big mouth and tell you?

Exactly. I'm just going to start refusing service to people who can't keep their damn mouths shut about their stupid ideologies and/or lifestyles.

"Trolling prohibited in this establishment."

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I wouldn't discriminate against anyone, but I also don't want to hear about your religion or gayness or anything either. Just shut up and spend your money.

It's generally, pretty clearly obvious who is gay and who isn't. Men especially.

I don't mean to stereotype, I'm actually a gay man who doesn't come off that way in public, but a ton most certainly are.

And in this case, it's likely to be used specifically in places that would require you to divulge such things. Like wedding stuff or baby stuff for example if you had two same sex parents adopting.

It's more than likely the people who run the business, will make judgement based on nothing but appearance and short conversation to determine who fits their 'religious' mandate and who doesn't. I don't wanna see two guys kissing in public any more than I wanna see two women, or a man and a woman, so I'm on board with that.

It's not really broad discrimination that can happen here ,but very specific.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

This is self-regulating because turning away customers will lead to outright business failure or slow death.

I would side with free will over the government forcing social engineering. What I would do is require a disclaimer on the front door. You have to tell the world about the rules of your so-called, enterprise.

It would self-regulate without more laws.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
IMHO a business should be able to serve or service whomever they feel no business should be obliged to cater to anyone this Is only a Christian situation because the people affected were Christian. a reply to: tothetenthpower

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Dunno about the question you posed, but I did just so happen to read this a few minutes ago...

Indiana governor says he wants to 'fix' religion law

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

It's generally, pretty clearly obvious who is gay and who isn't. Men especially. I don't mean to stereotype, I'm actually a gay man who doesn't come off that way in public, but a ton most certainly are.

I can only speak for myself. I don't know if my 'gaydar' is faulty, but some people when I found out they were gay really surprised me. I don't automatically decide that a guy is gay if he is effeminate, because I have met too many of those people that were straight.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

As an athiest, this means nothing for you. It's not a religion.

No one's going to get banned anyway. Unless the owner wants to be crucified.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Surely it's more horrifying that The Christian Right had that much lobbying clout in the first place. Have you seen who was at the Bills "private" signing ceremony?

Government and State are meant to be separate, having laws dictated by a Relgious group is prohibited by the constitution. Forget the discrimination possibilities, and see that these are the first steps for religious fundamentalist controlling government policy at State level.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Personally I also think the whole thing is stupid. A business owner should be able to serve whoever in the hell he wants to damn the nanny state. The fact that the Government gets so far into our business that they deem it necessary to delegate who a business owner can serve to is offensive to me in the first place.

Edit; So on the whole, if the government wasn't so far into our business already there would've been no need for law like this.

I disagree. If you have a public business with doors open to all. You should serve everyone.

That's not counting the times when the services are important. Like health care or such.

What if it's a small town and you own the only gas station? Exc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join