It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Programmes that Decide What I AM Typing.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
My computer fortunately tells me when I have misspelt a word by underlining it in red. However it goes a little further and kindly alters what I have written by changing the words so often that if I reread something typed it either makes no sense or has totally the wrong word or even other words inserted.

It infuriates me and drives me mad. In the past I just had a spelling or the odd syntax to deal with now I am spitting feathers at times. Anyone else have this auto-type 'helper'/hinderance driving them nuts?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Sometimes it even happens in real life... Kind of.

And YES!! It drives me insane. There is rarely a post that I make here where I don't need to go back and fix what autocorrect already "fixed" for me.

A double edged sword if ever there was one.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is usually a setting (in options) that allows you to control this behaviour. It will vary depending on the program you are using and of course, each version is different.

I suggest you look up the phrase, 'turning off auto correct in ....' adding your program and version.

P

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
My computer fortunately tells me when I have misspelt a word by underlining it in red. However it goes a little further and kindly alters what I have written by changing the words so often that if I reread something typed it either makes no sense or has totally the wrong word or even other words inserted.

It infuriates me and drives me mad. In the past I just had a spelling or the odd syntax to deal with now I am spitting feathers at times. Anyone else have this auto-type 'helper'/hinderance driving them nuts?

Yes, my auto correct turns the space bar to v for some reason and replaces it and us with as on a regularvbasis.

# it did it again!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this pos autocorrect!!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

I know what you're going through. I used to know the feeling of this frustrated auto correct function but now I know how to make better use of it.
edit on 31-3-2015 by Tindalos2013 because: spelling correction

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

What I like is the insights into people's private lives when auto complete pulls up phrases they've used in the past -

Like someone tries to type: "dog" and it brings up "dogging locations"

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
thankfully not on the pc, but on my tablet i have this swiftkey app installed, and don't get me wrong most of the time it's brilliant, you save lots of time, but if you hold the tablet at a strange angle, or you don't swipe your finger around with the necessary force it goes into auto-complete mode and yourself it cannon untold the what is benign sedimentary off the conversational

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Thanks for making me have to clean out my browser history...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Would you like to turn it off?

What OS are you using?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
thankfully not on the pc, but on my tablet i have this swiftkey app installed, and don't get me wrong most of the time it's brilliant, you save lots of time, but if you hold the tablet at a strange angle, or you don't swipe your finger around with the necessary force it goes into auto-complete mode and yourself it cannon untold the what is benign sedimentary off the conversational

Lol wow nice!!!!!

And I was complaining about the v popping up instead of a space an 2 letter words being randomly replaced by as.

That is epic fail on your tablet!!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Autocorrect is for pussies.
I used to use a manual typewriter where there is no mercy for mistakes!
It was crap in fairness.

I switch mine off generally . But its invaluable on a tiny phone keyboard when texting with stupid big fingers.

But what does my head in is that despite my keyboard being in (English UK) mode it still tries to use American spelling. And I am too much of an old fart to change.

I wish it would recognise, that in civilised dialogue, the colour of my humourous neighbours doughnuts, harbour honourable behaviours in vigourous splendour.
(Thats just one big red line there!)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I dont know of an instance or any comptr, tablet or smartphone where this cant be dis-abled???

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

edit on 31-3-2015 by desertguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm not sure that will cut it!

Damn You Auto-Complete

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Only on my phone... i have had some explaining to do after sending texts without proof reading first lol

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

No mercy? You are forgetting about the white ribbon you load which can go over black ink! I have a vague memory of loading the white ribbon, it not working properly, then everything being offline from then on... Or have I just imagined this?

Wow what a memory/flashback - I remember my Mum getting an electronic typewriter with some inheritance money!!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I feel you. There are settings that can be changed. I hate when someone hands me an Ipad. They are the worst. They change correctly spelled words into crap you would not want.

I dont get why auto correct would be turned on by default. Its so bad.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I wonder how many people can write as well as they type?

Damn computers anyway.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

It depends on what you are trying to write.

If you are writing a story on a word processor that has original names and locations, highlight the commonly used words, left click and choose 'Ignore all' and that usually fixes the problem.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Just 40 years ago, the closest thing we had to a keyboard was a typewriter, and if you were a professional, a varitype machine. That would let you change out the fonts. As far as autocorrect, hehe no such thing then. Even if you wanted to go back and erase one letter in a word that was misspelled, you would stick an equivalent of a white ribbon between where the hammer would strike the paper. That replaced black ink with "white" ink, and then you could backspace and type the letter you originally wanted.
The best thing we had was electric typewriters, it made typing a little easier and you didn't have to manually return the carriage, there was an electric carriage return.
So pardon me if I don't have any sympathy about auto correct....
Turn it off if you don't like it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join