It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Accusations Of Racial Profiling Is Uttter BS:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

What is your opinion on the recent Through the Wormhole episode titled "Are we all bigots" with Morgan Freeman where it shows that both black and white people react more violently towards blacks in split second decisions?

To me it shows that no matter what color your skin is, there is something deeply built into our DNA for survival purposes that makes us see black people as more of a threat.

I think it goes back well beyond any type of written history and comes down to evolution and survival of the fittest. If it was just white people that saw blacks as more of a threat that would be one thing, but even black people see themselves as more of a threat.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

What is your opinion on the recent Through the Wormhole episode titled "Are we all bigots" with Morgan Freeman where it shows that both black and white people react more violently towards blacks in split second decisions?

To me it shows that no matter what color your skin is, there is something deeply built into our DNA for survival purposes that makes us see black people as more of a threat.

I think it goes back well beyond any type of written history and comes down to evolution and survival of the fittest. If it was just white people that saw blacks as more of a threat that would be one thing, but even black people see themselves as more of a threat.

My opinion is that these are psychological aspects of culture. Both Blacks and Whites in implicit racism tests show bias against Blacks. I don't think it is instinctual nor in our genes, but embedded in our psychology.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Could be. I have gone both ways on this subject. I always come back to it being a split second judgment. A fight or flight type of response. While that response is mainly Psychological as well, our psychology is built in huge part from our genetic evolution. Not everything psychological is our choice. There are certain things that even if we know aren't really there or aren't being said, due to the evolution of our psych is made into our reality.

A lot of what we see and hear doesn't exist. A lot of what we believe isn't true. Our ability to see what is really going on and remember it properly is extremely poor.

Something can be instinctual and psychological at the same time.

Expanding on your opinion though, why do you think both blacks and whites see blacks as more of a threat? Is it violence? Gang culture?
edit on 12-5-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

That's is in a modern American context I bet if you took it back some decades or centuries there is no question as to who is seen as a threat.
Let me go medieval on you for a sec. consider this quote from a traveler

The blacks possess some admirable qualities. They are seldom unjust, and have a greater abhorrence of injustice than any other people. Their sultan shows no mercy to anyone who is guilty of the least act of it. There is complete security in their country. Neither traveller nor inhabitant in it has anything to fear from robbers or men of violence. They do not confiscate the property of any white man who dies in their country, even if it be uncounted wealth. On the contrary, they give it into the charge of some trustworthy person among the whites, until the rightful heir takes possession of it.

Now these are among the ancestors of today's blacks in the American context, what transpired between that era and today in the reversal of views, and that view was not only medieval it was ancient.

Diodorus wrote that the Aethiopians were like the gods and without fault; Claudius Aelianus (Roman Author c 175AD – c235 AD) believed that the gods bathed in Aethiopia and Stobaeus (c 5th century AD) recorded that the Aethiopians do not need doors on their homes and do not steal the possessions that their neighbours leave in the street. Of no other part of the world is there a constant reference to such general honesty and lack of crime. (see the echo of this 2,000 years later in Ibn Battuta’s writing on Mali)
shekereblog.wordpress.com...

Homer's blameless Ethiopians, the most distant of men, favorites of the gods, ... Ethiopian-Olympian consortia and pious,
books.google.co.jp...

This was no small praise, to be called blameless in ancient Greece.
Btw Ethiopia referenced was not necessarily the nation so named today but a general term for Blacks.
So again what horrible experience took place that caused that shift in view, for it sure isn't in the genes that one may look favorably or unfavorably on the other.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join