It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Humanism a religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Religion is that which comes to us on its knees when its not in a position to kill us...no its not a religion.

Interesting that when faced with the obvious, you deny it's existence. Humanists are coming humbly and are sworn not to kill.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

What are the rules of conduct in Humanism?

There are a number in debate but one is strict. Do not kill. I suppose self defense works it's way in somewhere but the threat has to be existential.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Grimpachi

Rules of conduct of Humanism:

1. Wipe out religion without using physical violence.

2. Diminish those that are religious without using physical violence.

3. Sue or threaten to sue any group that has signs, symbols or pronouncements that are of a religious nature....peacefully.

4. Be somewhat more tolerant of those that are not Christian-just somewhat.

5. Label any candidate for office that declares himself to be 'religious' as an extremist, peaceful means only.

6. Do the above....religiously..

Let's welcome Christians to the discussion.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
No, it is not a religion. Without God it is just another form of Atheism.

If you replace the the word "Athiesm" with "realism" or "existentialism" you might have a point.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
I'd prefer to turn the question on its head. Is 'religion' religion any more?

Perhaps once we cross the line into discussing life philosophy and world views we should be using different words, even if some of the world views are religiously informed.

Religion is most certainly religion. It predominantly seeks to control behavior and replicate in this world solely by creating a narrative ( a conspiracy if you like) about another world that is better.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: ImaFungi

Humanism is not a cultural system. It is abandonment of cultural systems pre-existing, supposedly because its advocates assume that in abandoning cultural concerns, they are more likely to respond to their fellow human beings positively.

Middle English refers to religion as meaning "life under monastic vows", while the Old French suggests that religio, the word they used instead, and a root form of the word we use today referred to an obligation, reverence or bond. The Latin, religare meant "to bind".

Humanism does not fit into that.

Humanism places a higher value on the human experience than the value of memes. It might be argued that humans are capable of self organizing into societies without an arbitrary control structure. Authoritarians spend a lot of time convincing you otherwise.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meduzi
I think that to determine this, one first has to decide on what is religion. To me, that has always been represented by the requirement to seek "evidence" and direction, only from official sources, i.e. the Bible, Koran, clergy etc. If Humanism requires this, then it's a religion.

Humanism is inclusive of humans. You can seek evidence and direction from yourself.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi
a reply to: TrueBrit

I suppose humanism is the nature of secular law? Religion is the nature of secular law claimed to be divine?

That's kind of poetic. There's more to cover obviously, but you can lose the question marks IMO.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
As best I understand it, it's more a philosophy than anything else. The logical person's answer to things like religions or feminism or any other group-specific "equality" drives, because it encompasses equal & fair treatment of all, not just vaulting a group to the top of the totem pole as demanded.

Calling it a religion isn't exactly accurate. It's more like a state of mind akin to "We're pretty much the same no matter how you slice it."

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

What, exactly, do you mean by "Humanism?" You are talking about it as though it is an organized movement with a set of beliefs and structure.Who establishes these beliefs? Who determines what is orthodox and what is heretical? Are there differing factions? You claim it requires belief. Belief in what? How can you discuss something without defining it? The only thing you have made clear here is your personal agenda.

Another Christian to not comprehend what I wrote, then go on to tell me how I have an agenda to oppose, destroy and irritate them. There's a theme here. yawn.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

It involves suffering

It does?

So much that it's comparable with the suffering in the abrahamic religions?

Humanism requires you to put all your faith in humans. All of them. If that isn't suffering, I don't know what is.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
As best I understand it, it's more a philosophy than anything else. The logical person's answer to things like religions or feminism or any other group-specific "equality" drives, because it encompasses equal & fair treatment of all, not just vaulting a group to the top of the totem pole as demanded.

Calling it a religion isn't exactly accurate. It's more like a state of mind akin to "We're pretty much the same no matter how you slice it."

It's a philosophy that espouses subordinating memes (e.g. Religions) to human free will and imagination. The biggest similarity is the amount of faith it requires. All humanists die martyrs.

Any operative of a religion must view Humanism as direct competition. The view is not reciprocated though.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Empirical evidence ,sir, empirical evidence..

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Why? I'm not a Christian...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

originally posted by: Prezbo369

It involves suffering

It does?

So much that it's comparable with the suffering in the abrahamic religions?

Humanism requires you to put all your faith in humans. All of them. If that isn't suffering, I don't know what is.

I think you might be right...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Its not a religion unless it has it punishing taboo's, like Grim Fairy tales and talking to strange Trolls or Witches that would eat little children. These usually get out of control because of exaggerations or wive tales.

Or like God saying "Who pissed in the Holy Water" scary.
edit on 31-3-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Empirical evidence ,sir, empirical evidence..

Keep it honest, you really meant "nether regions".

You pulled those rules from your nether regions.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

It's a philosophy that espouses subordinating memes (e.g. Religions) to human free will and imagination. The biggest similarity is the amount of faith it requires. All humanists die martyrs.

Any operative of a religion must view Humanism as direct competition. The view is not reciprocated though.

I don't think you're understanding what philosophy means... Humanism wouldn't be about blindly following something due to a fear of afterlife repercussions, & otherworldly rules. It's about the real-life here & now fair treatment of others no matter who or what they are, no afterlife reward required.
Big difference between that & a religion.
edit on 3/31/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I am not now, nor have ever been, a Christian. Why did you choose to attack me rather than answer the simple questions I posed?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi
a reply to: TrueBrit

I suppose humanism is the nature of secular law? Religion is the nature of secular law claimed to be divine?

That's kind of poetic. There's more to cover obviously, but you can lose the question marks IMO.

Oh, question marks are used to denote a sentence as being a question. I was asking TrueBrit if he agreed with the sentences, thats why in the moment it was of my opinion that I could not lose the question marks. And overall it was and is of little matter regardless.

Ok, now that I read your other responses I see your point. You dont want to have to care about any one else, especially not by strict or loose social law. So as opposed to being completely free, there is a novel difference compared to one who believes that they should and do care generally about the well being of all people.
edit on 31-3-2015 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join