It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anglo-Saxon MRSA Cure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The folks 1,000 years ago knew what they were doing it seems as a recently tested disinfectant "recipe" proved startlingly efficient at combating a particular superbug.

We don't know what we've already discovered, let alone what's yet to discover yet we pretend we know it all.

Scientists have recreated a 9th Century Anglo-Saxon remedy using onion, garlic and part of a cow's stomach. They were "astonished" to find the 1,000 year old treatment almost completely wiped out staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA. Their findings will be presented at a national microbiology conference.

Source: m.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Supercertari
The folks 1,000 years ago knew what they were doing it seems as a recently tested disinfectant "recipe" proved startlingly efficient at combating a particular superbug.

We don't know what we've already discovered, let alone what's yet to discover yet we pretend we know it all.

Scientists have recreated a 9th Century Anglo-Saxon remedy using onion, garlic and part of a cow's stomach. They were "astonished" to find the 1,000 year old treatment almost completely wiped out staphylococcus aureus, otherwise known as MRSA. Their findings will be presented at a national microbiology conference.

Source: m.bbc.co.uk...

Pretty amazing stuff. S&F. The video however says, garlic, onions (allium), leeks and wine? I am wondering where th cow stomach comes in... I'll watch for it ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me; back then they were honest people trying to find cures to diseases/sickness that affected their communities.

They weren't in it for the multi - billion $ profit, the industry we see in the sick care (as opposed to health care or Obama care) today are after.

Just honest remedies from the Earth, no labs needed

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Cool find, here is the recipe:

Equal amounts of garlic and another allium (onion or leek), finely chopped and crushed in a mortar for two minutes.

Add 25ml (0.87 fl oz) of English wine - taken from a historic vineyard near Glastonbury.

Dissolve bovine salts in distilled water, add and then keep chilled for nine days at 4C.

edit on 30-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
With all the billions spent on research in the medical field, along come the Anglo - Saxons to show them how it's done. I wonder how many other cures have been lost to time?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
With all the billions spent on research in the medical field, along come the Anglo - Saxons to show them how it's done. I wonder how many other cures have been lost to time?

You are God damn right. These cures are INTENTIONALLY lost.

Just about every disease can be treated by the plants and trees that grow on this planet.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
Cool find, here is the recipe:

Equal amounts of garlic and another allium (onion or leek), finely chopped and crushed in a mortar for two minutes.

Add 25ml (0.87 fl oz) of English wine - taken from a historic vineyard near Glastonbury.

Dissolve bovine salts in distilled water, add and then keep chilled for nine days at 4C.

You forgot "in a brass vessel". Without the brass, it doesn't work either.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

The problem is the amount of horse-dook that they're embedded in.

If you sort through old grimoires and powwow books, there are some things in there that seem pretty straightforward, others are outlandish. It's likely that some of the less wacky ones work to some extent.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Whilst interesting, it's hardly shocking. It's well known that garlic and onions have anti-bacterial qualities and has been for centuries - hence why it is in Bald's Leechbook.

I also doubt that ancient English knew why it worked, how it worked or that it would be effective in dealing with a 21st century superbug.

It's also worth noting that modern concoctions can kill MRSA as well and better than 90% - they can cure you of it.

So, interesting bit of news but that's about it really. It might open a few new avenues to explore in antibacterial science, but you won't be seeing this treatment in your Hospital anytime soon.

On a side note though, speaking of ancient treatments, the NHS has started to look at using maggots again (after falling out of favour with Doctors in the 1800's) to treat necrotic wounds.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Well done the Anglo Saxons, good to see we did some things right!

That said, lets not get too carried away by Anglo Saxon (and generally ancient) medicine eh? As with everything, there is the good, the bad and the downright ugly. For example, by the early medieval it was not unheard of for cow dung to be used to pack open wounds......to stop infection......yeah, i know......

The Romans and Greeks favoured goose fat infused with garlic to treat burns, which is another that seems to have merit.

top topics

join