It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Good Will of Surviving

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Absolutely, but to be darkly realistic, 5 out of 6 people need not plan that far ahead if were talking about a reboot after the collapse of our current infrastructure.
By the time that it is safe to indulge in civilized behaviors such as charity to strangers, there will be little need for it, because the reason that people will eventually stop being driven to predatory survival strategies and the reason that overwhelming need will stop collapsing available relief infrastructure will be a realigning of population levels and resource availability.
A near future SHTF scenario is essentially the inevitable down spike after the baby boom- trying to stop it is fighting the tide.

One could argue that what is natural and perhaps most ethical is to use your excess resources supporting the establishment of stability encouraging productivity through trade rather than offering good will that prolongs someone's flirtation with natural selection. That hypothetical someone would actually kind of be a prick in my view but I get it, and that does stand consideration here perhaps.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I don't plan on charity, at least not often. I'd want folks that would trade for any "excess" resources. Even if that trade was just information and/or labor.

Assuming a SHTF event happens AFTER my 5 year plan, we'd be in good shape and be able to provide the following for trade:

1) Food
2) Water
3) Lodging (temporary, or becoming more permanent)
4) Medical plants, medicine made from such plants
5) Medical treatment
6) Tobacco
7) Alcohol
8) Mechanical services
9) Leatherwork/repairs
10) Minor smithing needs
11) Communication (HAM)
12) News (HAM)
13) Shoes (it's weird, don't ask)
14) Hot Shower, etc.

Things we'd trade FOR:

1) Guns
2) Ammo
3) Medical supplies
4) Luxury items
5) Books and Videos
6) Manufactured items
7) Cleaners
8) Mechanical Parts
9) Batteries
10) Light Bulbs
11) Other Weapons
etc.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

In a lot of ways we seem to be on the same page. But it occurs to me that price negotiations and charity requests can conceivably become more or less the same thing, and that unmeetable demand from desperate potential trading partners is just as dangerous as being swamped by refugees you can't help. And then beyond that the signs of good trade are going to attract bad trade as well- not just potential attackers or beggars, but bad people who have excess to trade because they have been able to acquire it by violence- perhaps they trade with you because you can farm and all seems well, and their true colors don't show until you have a bad crop and they demand that you still trade them the usual amount. Not poking holes, just pointing out areas of consideration.

Your list of trading concerns has also started my mind going in a lot of directions, more than I can sort out in a readable post right now, but I may take a crack at it again tonight.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Not poking holes, just pointing out areas of consideration.

Yep, definitely a concern. It's why defense would also be a big factor.
Trading would be risky, but I have to think that at some point, it would be more of a necessity.

Early on though (first 6 months or more), not looking to advertise it. (or even do it).
This is something for after things have calmed down some, and the majority of the herd simply don't make it.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
any person who hasn't prepared but has spent all their time and cash on the latest gadget, foreign holidays, new cars and the like, I am not a charity or a religious order, my ONLY duty is to my family...period, anyone that didn't bother, especially those that scoffed at preppers/survivalists and said "it'll never happen" or "the government will save us" is on their own, they will get no help from me. might seem harsh I know, but I don't have the resources i.e, cash to prep for all and sundry, they are going to have to look after themselves.
edit on 29-4-2015 by yokel because: additional.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It was after a flood and a hurricane that I met many of my neighbors because people were walking down the street and checking if anyone needed help. Americans are a funny lot, we can live in a place for years and never even meet our next door neighbors but if a disaster happens suddenly you have a whole new circle of friends. There is a satisfaction to helping others that's impossible to describe unless you've done it. So yes, hard times do bring out the best in many and maybe we need those disasters to remind us of our common humanity.

I'm prepared like you are OP to help those I can if the shtf.
I know I certainly can't just stand by and watch my neighbors starve when I know I have the ability to help.
My conscience would torture me forever if I didn't.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I'm prepared like you are OP to help those I can if the shtf. I know I certainly can't just stand by and watch my neighbors starve when I know I have the ability to help. My conscience would torture me forever if I didn't

I absolutely agree, except when it comes at the expense of the safety and well-being of my loved ones. It's something that must be balanced.

It's why I've devised protocols ahead of time, so I won't have to figure it out then.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join