It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bolivia detects buried pyramid at Tiahuanaco site

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

My pleasure Hans,

Another interesting thing that has come up recently in a new study.
Polynesian sweet potatos are extremely divergent from the rest of the sweet potatoes. There is no known source population but they are most closely related to a wild caribbean strain.

The split into two species happened ~800kya.
Hmm, then some time later the new species crossed with its progenitor.
The original species had also been isolated for ~1?my.
Somehow this american plant was transported across the pacific, in a natural fashion, established itself across polynesia or possibly as far as the phllipines and china,polynesian homelands, yet somehow left not one single wild relative, anywhere, save the australian bush potato found across norther australia.
That potato is related to the previously discussed utah potatoes.
Hmmm
You what else is found in that same part of Australia, wild tobacco. Wild tobacco that is most closely related to a wild tobacco from the four corners.
Hmmm
And you know something else, the species of Datura used by the Munda, austro asiatic people of india, is most closely related to jimson weed from california.
Hmmm

So many question
So few complete answers

sweet potato

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Too bad that report is behind a pay wall. I've been interested in the SP since I read Aku Aku along time ago.

The sweet potato is one of the world’s most widely consumed crops, yet its evolutionary history is poorly understood. In this paper, we present a comprehensive phylogenetic study of all species closely related to the sweet potato and address several questions pertaining to the sweet potato that remained unanswered. Our research combined genome skimming and target DNA capture to sequence whole chloroplasts and 605 single-copy nuclear regions from 199 specimens representing the sweet potato and all of its crop wild relatives (CWRs). We present strongly supported nuclear and chloroplast phylogenies demonstrating that the sweet potato had an autopolyploid origin and that Ipomoea trifida is its closest relative, confirming that no other extant species were involved in its origin. Phylogenetic analysis of nuclear and chloroplast genomes shows conflicting topologies regarding the monophyly of the sweet potato. The process of chloroplast capture explains these conflicting patterns, showing that I. trifida had a dual role in the origin of the sweet potato, first as its progenitor and second as the species with which the sweet potato introgressed so one of its lineages could capture an I. trifida chloroplast. In addition, we provide evidence that the sweet potato was present in Polynesia in pre-human times. This, together with several other examples of long-distance dispersal in Ipomoea, negates the need to invoke ancient human-mediated transport as an explanation for its presence in Polynesia. These results have important implications for understanding the origin and evolution of a major global food crop and question the existence of pre-Columbian contacts between Polynesia and the American continent.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

I have to give a big DOH!
I had a full version pre-print of that paper and didn't save it.

I saw some serious flaws in logic in the paper.
They fully admit that there is no physical evidence for the presence of sweet potatoes in polynesia,
Their logic is that since sweet potatoes are found everywhere there are polynesians they must have always been there.😵
But we know that the sweet potato was not used by the first people in polynesia, the Lapita.
Dont forget that when the polynesians arrived on Rapa Nui they already had manioc, yet another south american plant.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Howdy Punkinworks

I've been a fan of the Polynesian's venturing on to SA. I've followed that aspect of the story for many years - especially the chicken question. If I recall a fellow based that claim not on physical evidence but just a mention in a document Langdon or some such about 25 years ago?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join