It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Underground bomber unmasked — as city schoolteacher

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now this particular story is of great interest to me because of one of my other research favorites, the Zodiac Killer. I won't go into all of it here as it is a long history, but there are some that think Zodiac had a link to the Weather Underground.

Anywho...this is not about that. I am interested in this guy, Ronald Fliegelman, in general. He has managed to stay out of the limelight for so long and the statute of limitations ran it's course on his crimes long ago. He became a teacher shortly after it ran out and now lives a pretty nice life.

By all means, he would be considered a terrorist today. He bombed federal buildings and was part of a very large organization for protesting in such a manner. The story of the Weathermen is fascinating in itself, but this guy was the one responsible for training and bombing...that is one of the main reasons the Weathermen became highly noticed and hunted.

Anywho.....here is his story:

Weather Underground

The “bomb guru” for the terrorist group the Weather Underground never served a day in jail — but he did spend decades teaching in New York City classrooms, a new book reveals.

Ronald Fliegelman built explosives for the Weather Underground, a far-left group that launched a domestic bombing campaign in the 1960s and ’70s, including one explosion inside NYPD headquarters.

Now it is also known that their objective was a complete overthrow of the US government:

“Ron is proud of what he did,” he told The Post.
The Weather Underground first organized in 1969 as a splinter of the Revolutionary Youth Movement within the ’60s protest group Students for a Democratic Society.
Their members were mostly white and middle class, advocating the complete overthrow of the US government.

These guys were highly organized and seemingly were able to cause some significant problems for the government through their actions.

With revolutionary positions characterized by black power and opposition to the Vietnam War,[2] the group conducted a campaign of bombings through the mid-1970s and took part in actions such as the jailbreak of Dr. Timothy Leary. The "Days of Rage", their first public demonstration on October 8, 1969, was a riot in Chicago timed to coincide with the trial of the Chicago Seven. In 1970 the group issued a "Declaration of a State of War" against the United States government, under the name "Weather Underground Organization".

Source

There is so much on this group and it is a fascinating read.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Very interesting. One could wonder whether or not he planted seeds of rebellion into the young minds he helped mold. Thanks for the captivating read!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Very interesting. One could wonder whether or not he planted seeds of rebellion into the young minds he helped mold. Thanks for the captivating read!

Oh you can be sure he did. They spoke of him in the article and how the younger members said he had a twinkle in his eye, like Santa Claus. They just knew he was going to help the cause. I would bet he still has the same stance on things with the way the government and banking are now. This is one guy I would love to sit down and have coffee with. Such a wealth of information. Not that I agree with bombing anything, just a really interesting person to try to understand.

The Weather Underground was highly active in protests and bombings agains the US government and banking....just like a lot of folks these days.

This group is truly one of the most fascinating groups to read about. There is a wealth of information on them. I research a lot of old newspapers and it is really interesting to read about them from when they were most active and what was reported on them.
edit on 3/30/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Weather Underground has striking similarities to today's movements and likely had a lot to do with the way organizations are working now. I would not be surprised if some of them are even heavily involved in these other factions.

“We believed Third World countries would rise up and cause crises that would bring down the industrialized West, and we believed it was going to happen tomorrow, or maybe the day after tomorrow,” a former Weatherman tells Burrough.

“The myth, and this is always Bill Ayers’ line, is that Weather never set out to kill people, and it’s not true — we did,” group member Howie Machtinger tells Burrough. “You know, policemen were fair game.”

Notice the similarities in these quotes to what is happening in the streets right now? This was not that long ago....60's and 70's.

“We must continue to make the Rockefellers, Oswalds, Reagans and Nixons pay for their crimes. We only wish we could do more to show the courageous prisoners at Attica, San Quentin and the other 20th-century slave ships that they are not alone in their fight for the right to live.”

And nobody even looked for him according to the article:

“For me, it was really seamless,” he tells Burrough. “No one — the FBI, no one — ever came looking for me.”

Fliegelman was among 13 Weathermen indicted on charges of conspiring to commit bombings and assassinations, but the indictment was dropped in 1973 by the Justice Department in the wake of a Supreme Court decision that barred the use of electronic surveillance without a court order.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I also find the last quotes from him in the source article very interesting...the way he views himself compared to a terrorist and the way he views what is happening in the world currently.

Approached by The Post, Fliegelman, who wears a neat ponytail, said: “What happened 40 years ago is different from what’s going on today. War was a big thing. It was on TV every night. You don’t know that with the Iraqi war, the Afghanistan war. There was the draft, as well.”

Asked whether he considered himself a terrorist, he said: “Did you ever notice how many people were hurt by our bombs? People were not hurt by our bombs.”

That last quote just sounds like a justification for his actions really. Their MO was to plant the bomb, call in a threat and time the bomb to go off after the evacuation of the building. Trouble is, who knows if everyone is actually going to leave?

I kind of see the same history of these types of organizations playing out now. There was a massive movement in the black community back then at the same time, then you had liberal groups, such as the Weathermen, that were protesting the same causes, similar to how things are playing out today.

This is going to ruin what should have been a productive day for me now....I have to start reading more on this guy.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Oh so typical, I always hem and holler about how violent the public sector teacher's unions are but, I never expected to be this correct.

I wonder if Obama is friends with this guy too?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Funny how nobody mentions that the KGB funded groups like the Weather Underground, Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), Greenpeace and the Sierra Club. Nobody mentions that two members of SDS were Bill and Hilary Clinton. Nobody mentions that in 1994, the US sent a team to the old Soviet Union to review the KGB archives. Last but not least, nobody mentions that then President Bill Clinton put a 75 year security classification on that team's findings.

Then of course there are President Obama's friends, Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The whole statute of limitations is baffling to me from a UK perspective.
Its like if you are a really skilled bad guy,who can evade the authorities for long enough,you basically get rewarded by not being able to be tried for your crimes.

That seems so unfair on those whose lives you may have ruined during your crimes..

The guy in your OP it seems to me,should be held accountable-but under the protection of US law,he has got away with it.
Where is the justice in that?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Funny how nobody mentions that the KGB funded groups like the Weather Underground, Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), Greenpeace and the Sierra Club. Nobody mentions that two members of SDS were Bill and Hilary Clinton. Nobody mentions that in 1994, the US sent a team to the old Soviet Union to review the KGB archives. Last but not least, nobody mentions that then President Bill Clinton put a 75 year security classification on that team's findings.

Then of course there are President Obama's friends, Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn.

Yeah...those are some of the strangest connections I have read about. Gotta love that Michelle and Dohrn were at the same law firm together. Obama has a LONG history with Ayers and Dohrn.

Now this part about Clinton putting a 75 year classification on his findings.....can you point me to a source I can read about this? That sounds pretty interesting.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I'd have to go to a library and go into the back issues of some magazines. This happened before everything was put on the internet. It would have been around 1995.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I'd have to go to a library and go into the back issues of some magazines. This happened before everything was put on the internet. It would have been around 1995.

Yeah, just in the quick second I have had to research a little, there are some things popping up about 75 year classifications on certain KGB files, though I haven't read into them too much at this point. Thanks for the heads up on this.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Towards the end they showed their true colors and robbed a armored car.

Some members remained underground and joined splinter radical groups. The US government states that three members of the Weather Underground, Kathy Boudin, Judith Alice Clark, and David Gilbert, joined the May 19 Communist Organization. On October 20, 1981 in Nanuet, New York, the group robbed a Brinks armored truck containing $1.6 million. The robbery was violent, resulting in the murders of two police officers and a security guard.[17] Boudin, Clark, and Gilbert were found guilty and sentenced to lengthy terms in prison. Media reports listed them as former Weatherman Underground members[122] considered the “last gasps” of the Weather Underground.[123] The documentary The Weather Underground described the Brinks Robbery as the "unofficial end" of the Weather Underground.[124]

edit on 30-3-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
Towards the end they showed their true colors and robbed a armored car.

Some members remained underground and joined splinter radical groups. The US government states that three members of the Weather Underground, Kathy Boudin, Judith Alice Clark, and David Gilbert, joined the May 19 Communist Organization. On October 20, 1981 in Nanuet, New York, the group robbed a Brinks armored truck containing $1.6 million. The robbery was violent, resulting in the murders of two police officers and a security guard.[17] Boudin, Clark, and Gilbert were found guilty and sentenced to lengthy terms in prison. Media reports listed them as former Weatherman Underground members[122] considered the “last gasps” of the Weather Underground.[123] The documentary The Weather Underground described the Brinks Robbery as the "unofficial end" of the Weather Underground.[124]

yeah..there are a lot that say that this was not a "sanctioned" event by the Weathermen though. It was supposedly already broken up prior to this incident. They did not claim it as one of theirs as far as I know....just the ones involved in the robbery were former members.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Do you remember the Greenwich town house explosion? That along with the Brinks car robbery I believe were the only fatalities caused by the weathermen.

At least they were revolutionaries with a conscience most of the time.
edit on 30-3-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Do you remember the Greenwich town house explosion? That along with the Brinks car robbery I believe were the only fatalities caused by the weathermen.

At least they were revolutionaries with a conscience most of the time.

Yeah. The townhouse explosion only killed members of their group I believe. They had a very extensive plan around their bombings to make sure that nobody was injured.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The WU was wayyyyy on the fringe of the movements of the time. The anti-war movement, civil rights movement, peace movement, the early women's rights movement, all of them were nonviolent. They did not engage in bombings. The WU was some kind of political terrorism group, hurt people, and were not a part of the recognized movements of the day although some like to lump together everything that happened in that era.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Makes you wonder-with all those connections to prominent politicians of today,what is the real deal behind todays tensions with ex KGB Putin?
And don't forget the EU leadership is stuffed full of commies/ex commies...
Something does not add up IMO.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Oh so typical, I always hem and holler about how violent the public sector teacher's unions are but, I never expected to be this correct.

I wonder if Obama is friends with this guy too?

This guy and willy play golf every Sunday afternoon.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

The whole statute of limitations is baffling to me from a UK perspective.
Its like if you are a really skilled bad guy,who can evade the authorities for long enough,you basically get rewarded by not being able to be tried for your crimes.

That seems so unfair on those whose lives you may have ruined during your crimes..

The guy in your OP it seems to me,should be held accountable-but under the protection of US law,he has got away with it.
Where is the justice in that?

It is fruity.

He might have gotten life without parole.

So he should still be serving his sentence right now.

But since he didn't get caught, he is free as a bird.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

To add to that 1981 Brinks robbery....

Barack Obama's Close Encounter with the Weather Underground

Barack Obama would have you believe that the bombings by the radical domestic terrorists known as The Weather Underground were something that happened "when I was eight years old" and with which he had absolutely no connection. And while it is true that their bombings started when Obama was eight years old, they actually continued until he was twenty years old. And, incredibly, the life of Barack Obama and the terror campaign of the Weather Underground nearly intersected on the evening of September 26, 1981 at an anti-Apartheid protest which turned violent at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York.

Hmmm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join