It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Elections

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It's always case of the lesser of evils and regrets with politics and electing UK Governments.
I have lived through the last 50 years of politics in the UK.
Was in the 40% tax bracket.
Came from a working class family and got on in life through education provided for by a Labour government.
I have seen the damage done by M. Thatcher and society is still impacted today. What a legacy!
I will and also have voted Labour, no party is perfect or better than Good but I do know one thing and that is that if the Conservatives get back in then a lot of people are going to suffer (as much as 50%) because of the plans they have to slash spending like never before. This is why Cameron says he will not try for a 3rd term, because he knows the tories will be unelectable in 2020!!

Mark my word!!!

vote Labour!

link   
David Cameron today said;

"5 years ago...
Millions were unemployed...
There was no economic security for Families...
& there were worries that the country could pay it's debts...

5 years later..."

...Yada yada yada, a tangent about improvements...

Yet none of the above has changed!

Screw David Cameron!

Liar!!!
edit on 30-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Removed by who? You know you can stand as an independent. No one can prevent you standing for Parliament as long as you don't disqualify yourself.

Wrong, there are terms and conditions to standing for local elections. I personally couldn't due to a. being employed by the local authority and b. having my main work elsewhere than the local authority.

www.electoralcommission.org.uk...

Additionally, there are 5 candidates for my local area, Lib Dem, Cons, Green, Lab and UKIP, neither of which I fully support.

hink about it, if people actually voted properly (and not for the donkey with a red/blue rosette because their daddy and his daddy before him voted that way) then you could technically have a Parliament made up entirely of independents.

Hence the fact I said there should be revolutionised political systems, including voting, as how it stands is that the main parties, that are funded for electoral campaigns and are a known commodity naturally receive the majority vote.

Typical nonsense from some around here when all I really here is lazy arse excuses to not face up to your responsibility so you can then spend the next 5 years bitching about how they don't represent you.

I hope you aren't referring to me as such. It isn't any citizen's ''responsibility'' for voting for parties to whose policies they do not agree nor to a corrupt system, which obviously goes beyond politics.

Newsflash - they represent those who vote for them and if you don't vote, then you can hardly sit there and whine about it

If there aren't suitable candidates and the system is corrupt beyond the heads of politics, voting within the system is just a means of voting for the system. The system is clearly flawed and needs reevaluating, as clearly politicians at all levels are being controlled by some other nefarious organisation / entity/ person.
edit on 30-3-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Someone will ALWAYS vote.

People who don't vote should not complain if they get something they don't like. I would like to impose the Aussie model of compulsory voting. I would also get rid of postal votes, as there is too much room for abuse.

If you can't be bothered to turn up, then tough.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Voting wouldn't be an issue if the candidates were worth voting for, and seeing as at least 99% if not 100% are from the main political parties, they more than likely aren't.

Additionally, it is the corruption that controls Prime Ministers and politicians (they are in the pockets of their financiers) that holds sway that needs removing from influence, hence the actual system that is corrupt.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

People didn't die for my right to choose to vote for me to be forced into it!!!

& I can complain whether I vote or not!

Your parroting of establishment ideology is detriment to a free society!

Give me a good reason I can't complain!!!

I say if you vote in the ones who destroy our nation...
You have no right to complain!!!

Because you put them there... I didn't!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Feck party loyalty and vote on the quality of the candidate in your area!

This is how it should be, vote for how your actual life is impacted, not on how some imagined authority a few hundred miles away is doing with issues that will probably have absolutely no impact on your own life. Yes there are national issues that need attention, but as long as you have a good understanding of how your own MP stands on these issues that's all you need to worry about.

Everything else is a managed stage show.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Wrong election guidelines, try again!

In UK Parliamentary elections all candidates must be 18 years old or over and either:

a British citizen
a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
a citizen of a commonwealth country who does not require leave to enter or remain in the UK, or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK
Certain groups of people are not allowed to stand, these include:

members of the police forces
members of the armed forces
civil servants, judges and peers who sit and can vote in the House of Lords
people who are subject to a bankruptcy restrictions order or a debt relief restrictions order in England, Wales or Northern Ireland
people who have been adjudged bankrupt in Northern Ireland
people who have had their estate confiscated (sequestrated) in Scotland

Link

Also, I bet there are more than 5 candidates. There are nearly always one from the real fringe parties and usually an independent or two.

As for the responsibility of voting, you are still hung up on "voting for a party" - that is not what you do in a General Election and that has been pointed out to you.

The ironic thing about your complaint and the need to change the system is that by changing to say a PR system cements political parties as "who you vote for" and almost always blocks out independents.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

And what do you propose as an alternative?

A genuine question for genuine debate - we often have these late on a night shift here at work..

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's a sham.

A complete sham.

These people and their parties care nothing for us, the people. They care about power and money... it's how they were brought up.

They couldn't give a stink about any of us here - unless you're part of the upper-upper class.

All of this proven by the pathetic acting and behaviour on "Battle For Number 10" - I mean sh*t... where are we? In a tabloid newspaper or on a real planet of real people?

F**k this system.

F**k you believers who have been pulled in.

Go enjoy your vote - your one vote - one vote which you get once every four years. One vote in a democracy - you get to make one decision and it's ignored! Enjoy your one vote.

Democracy = 1 vote - now that IS a LOL!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
You begged us to stay, A request i believe that is about to come back bite you on the arse.

edit on 30-3-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Actually, a lot has changed. Unemployment is down, the deficit is going down, there will be a surplus in 17/18 etc..

And the ironic thing is, they did it all at the level of cuts Labour proposed at the last election, yet Labour say it was too much. Labour also said we'd have a double dip recession - we didn't - and they also said the cuts would hamper our economy - it didn't, in fact, we're the fastest growing economy in Europe and the among the fastest of the developed nations.

Bottom line, Labour don't have a plan. Last week, Miliband said they'd cut the deficit, stop the cuts to spending and not raise taxes! Has he found a money tree then?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

People didn't die for my right to choose to vote for me to be forced into it!!!
& I can complain whether I vote or not!

If someone has so little faith in the system that they choose not to vote, they don't magically lose all right to criticize.

I can choose not to vote because I loathe the entire system and view it all as a corrupt game show run by elitist cnuts who are more interested in their own glory and profits than serving their country, and I have every damn right to say this after I have not voted.

I still haven't decided whether I will actually vote or not. I tend to view them all as self-serving elitist scum who would sell their own granny for a few extra votes.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: ScepticScot

Yes - it is still true. Only the Sovereign can dissolve Parliament.

Looked it up and it seems the parliment act did remove the monarchs role in dissolving parliment. Is now automatic.
Not being argumentative(for a change) just find the constitutional stuff interesting.

Back on topic I think this is looking likely to be the most interesting election in a long time. There are a number of potential outcomes that could for a change radically alter UK politics.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I say if you vote in the ones who destroy our nation...
You have no right to complain!!!

Just remember they come from BOTH party's.

People like Tony Blair and Gorden Brown has done just as much to destroy the country a Camron and George Osborne.

If you going to vote Labour make sure he wasn't in the pre 2010 or at least pre 2005 batch of scum.
edit on 30-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

And yet, all not voting does is perpetuate the "system" you loathe.

You could at least spoil your ballot instead of sitting at home, whining. Spoilt ballots are still counted and is a legitimate form of protest vote and has been for many a year.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Just remember they come from BOTH party's.

People like Toney Blair and Gorden Brown has done just as much to destroy the country a Camron and George Osborne.

If you going to vote Labor make sure he wasnt in the pre 2010 or at least pre 2005 batch of scum.

Quite - in fact, the entire Labour front bench were in Ministerial positions over the 13 years of Labour last time. Nothing has changed, except a dangerous lurch to the left which would be a disaster for the country.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Unemployment is down because 0-hour contracts are up!

That's not improvement...

That's a band aid on a gash!

Besides, millions are still unemployed, we still wonder how to pay our debts & insecurity for families is rife...

So none of the things he tried to claim improvements on have changed in the slightest!
edit on 30-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

As I said you are wrong.

www.electoralcommission.org.uk...

Local elections in England
and Wales
Guidance for
candidates
and agents
Part 1 of 6 – Can you stand
for election?

Disqualifications
1.2 Apart from meeting the qualifications for standing for
election, you must also not be disqualified from standing.
There are certain people who are disqualified from being
elected to a local authority in England and Wales. You cannot
be a candidate if at the time of your nomination and on the day
of the election:
I. You are employed by the local authority or hold a
paid office under the authority (including joint boards
or committees). Note that you may be ‘employed by
the local authority’, for example, if you work at
certain schools, fire services, police or health
services. This list is not exhaustive. For further
information, see paragraph 1.17.

II. You hold a politically restricted post. For further
details, see paragraph 1.24.
III. You are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions
order or interim order. For more information, see
paragraph 1.27.
IV. You have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment
of three months or more (including a suspended Local elections > England and Wales > Candidates and
agents > Part 1 of 6
sentence), without the option of a fine, during the
five years before polling day.
V. You have been disqualified under the
Representation of the People Act 1983 (which
covers corrupt or illegal electoral practices and
offences relating to donations).
1.3 A person may also be disqualified from election if they
have been disqualified from standing for election to a local
authority following a decision of the First-tier Tribunal (formerly
the Adjudication Panel for England or Wales).

There are 5 candidates for the local area, they are as I said. I can read, thanks for the doubt (sarcasm).

And no I am not ''hung on voting for a party''. Only candidates can be voted for and as I said those are all representing the main parties.

edit on 30-3-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Exactly...

Maybe our complaints are ignored and we choose not to vote because of that...

Doesn't change that I'll continue to complain!

I'm with you Rocker...
I registered yesterday...

Still undecided though!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join