It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Beathtaking Mars Pics Taken From Orbit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Amazing pics!!!

I zoomed in on the "snake" like dune and notice the wind patterns left on the head portion are noticeably from a different direction than those showing on the snake body. If the dune was formed from winds blowing in a direction for a long time, would the patterns all be in same direction??

Thanks for your hard work on creating this amazing thread!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Making a comment to come back later. Great pictures and inspiration for creative works.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

True true, but you know like i know that they have alot more photos and footage than they say. As far as technology goes tho, if China has robots walking around then im pretty sure we have some next level stuff that we wont know about until they get their use out of it

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
No, thank you for the ride. Those pics
were awesome OP, thanks for sharing them.

Rebel 5

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

In picture 8 under the rover, if you look at the ground it looks like a guy from kiss with a guitar lol

LOL I totally see it! ...I KNEW it!

OP, thanks for the pics. To think, previous generations passed on thinking it was a boring lump of red blah.

ETA: I know it's false color, but still, it ain't no boring lump!
edit on 3/30/2015 by dogstar23 because: comment

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Those are amazing photos. Thank you for bringing them together into one thread.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

wow these are all incredible. 3 the inverted crater, 5 the snake, 7 the fresh crater and 10 the dust devils are particularly awesome to me. amazing. thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning.

I would love if there were such a thing as a Mars web-cam. Even if there was a delay in the feed - a near real-time web-cam set up on a prominent site would be truly mind blowing.

What would that kickstarter campaign need to generate $$$$$ ?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

So am I the only one who remembers when they were trying to tell us Mars was the RED PLANET?

All the photos were RED? Dirt, rocks, mountains, etc...even the atmosphere...all red.

And then folks like us caught on to the color calibration devices on the landers....and that they were releasing photos that were blatantly OFF in color.

Funny...but all of those photos seemed to be mostly BLUE....

Things that make you go hmmm....

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

So am I the only one who remembers when they were trying to tell us Mars was the RED PLANET?

All the photos were RED? Dirt, rocks, mountains, etc...even the atmosphere...all red.

And then folks like us caught on to the color calibration devices on the landers....and that they were releasing photos that were blatantly OFF in color.

Funny...but all of those photos seemed to be mostly BLUE....

Things that make you go hmmm....

That's because these images are false-colour, using infrared, red, and green-blue filters (as opposed to the usual red/green/blue filter combination). They did this to better highlight the differences in mineral composition. Near-true colour versions of these images are available at the HiRISE catalog site: www.uahirise.org...
For example this one of the inverted crater (which is at the top of the image): hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu...

Anyway, Mars is red(ish), but obviously nowhere near as vivid and dramatic red as depicted in movies and artwork. Mars it more like in hues of brown, tan, orange-ish, with dark bluish sand dunes and grey exposed rocks.

edit on 15-12-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

It may very well be infrared cameras as you mention...but...

There were rover photos that showed the color calibration plate affixed to the rover itself and in the field of view of the camera that blatantly and to any layman showed that the overall color of the photo was way off in scale. I do not remember what way the color leaning went, but, the photos were showing everything damned near brick red, and it most certainly didn't match the color calibration plate.

Sorry, I do not have the photo to back up what I'm saying. So, much like the purported redness of mars, flame away

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
There were rover photos that showed the color calibration plate affixed to the rover itself and in the field of view of the camera that blatantly and to any layman showed that the overall color of the photo was way off in scale. I do not remember what way the color leaning went, but, the photos were showing everything damned near brick red, and it most certainly didn't match the color calibration plate.

I believe that's addressed here: www.gillevin.com...

Two sets of filters are used by NASA to produce color images from Spirit. One conventional set of red, green and blue filters has been used for images of the calibration chart alone and small pieces of the soil. Another set of infra-red, green and blue filters is used for larger panoramic images. While most objects in the Martian scene are not affected by this change, the appearance of the color calibration chart changes drastically. An extreme example of this can be found in the comparison of the blue color panel using the two different sets of filters. When the blue panel is seen in the panorama images, it appears to be bright red.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

So, let's just agree to disagree.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join