It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Million Square Foot Underground City Discovered In Turkey

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Very interesting thread. At the one link, it almost looks like they had patched the side of the hill with rock. Maybe a cave in at one time?

Looking at photos, this area looks the same as where I live, which is volcanic rock, and naturally prone to having caves. The underground city we have here has many of the openings and entry rooms started in natural caves, in which the opening was partially closed up with stone constructed walls. These photos show what looks to be exactly the same concept. They simply elaborated what was already existing.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Wouldn't this be about the same timeframe that India had it's ancient nuclear war?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I've visited cappadocia, beautiful area..

Want to say we were told the city we visited was used as a stop over point eroute to the Holy Land.

Over time it became a turn around point for those that couldn't reach Judea.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Going off on a tangent here, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the title was of the underground tunnel system and other spaces that some claim, the UFO/Government conspiracy crowd, are here in the U.S. The southwest especially. If they are here, maybe they are simply upgrades of what people had already found. Of "cities" and tunnels that were built thousands of years ago. Maybe this is a worldwide thing?

Anyway, off to work in the aboveground world.

Good find OP

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

i wish i could find that video again but they made hills which were lined up with the stars. By the way i am form there

edit on 30-3-2015 by enkagiran because: grammer

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Ancient fallout shelters?...

link   

Kinda sucks that they seem to plan on turning it into a tourist attraction...cool find, though, nonetheless.

link   
a reply to: greencmp

The cave systems are way older then christianity

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Why do crosses always signify CHristian?

The cross is an ancient symbol that was in use among almost all cultures long before the Romans ever existed.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
a reply to: enkagiran

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Artifacts including grindstones, stone crosses, and ceramics indicate the city was in use from the Byzantine era through the Ottoman conquest.

I think they are just saying that the most recent occupants were Christians but, it is a little confusing.
edit on 30-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I think they are just saying that the most recent occupants were Christians but, it is a little confusing.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Hopefully we can track down a project site with more information/pictures or perhaps press releases from the archaeological team.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

From what I understand, the initial construction was undertaken by the Phrygians somewhere during the 7th or 8th centuries BPE but those were nowhere near the scale of what is being excavated currently and the city was expanded upon several times between then and the Byzantine era which is responsible for the current incarnation and level of sophistication demonstrated by recent excavations. This entire area of Turkey is quite literally littered with underground cities. The more they uncover, the more blown away I am with what they're finding. I'm having trouble finding anything online that is still functioning that can be linked but I will keep my eyes peeled and post anything I turn up. This gives a little of an overview along with some additional videos- www.cappadociaturkey.net...

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

that is quite a bit more recent that 5000bp, as mentioned in the article.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Considerably more recent yes. I don't doubt that the volcanic tunnels have been in use for millennia but most of what has been found is dated to between the Byzantine era and Ottoman conquest. So far at least. I think it's a little premature to make such grandiose statements on the age of a site that hasn't even been fully surveyed yet but that's just me.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: EA006 yeah back in the day they made nukes out of clay and goats milk.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillageprobably was just housing. Could have been at one time it was all above ground. Caves are not a good place to hide . an enemy can find ventilation shafts or entrances exits unless the tunels go for long distances. In the military they say a cave is your grave.

edit on 30-3-2015 by LA1IMPALA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The city is built by the Greys/Reptilians. Come on, it's obvious that history is not what we've been told. There really is no motive for people to have built anything underground, when there were so much land, much less the technology to build it.

If my theory is correct, then they built it to avoid the flood or detection by the Nordics. I think there were actually 3 alien races in ancient times, Nordics, Greys and Reptilians(maybe even 4 if you include the Elohim, who ARE an E.T race, though they're not frequently mentioned.)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you're getting raided too often, building underground would definitely have it's advantages. An outskirt villiage would have some spotters, and when the signal is made they would just have everyone go inside and close up the entrances. What's left topside looks empty and abandoned, the nomadic raiders that would otherwise pillage end up moving on looking for better spoils.

Other than that, before air conditioning was invented - temperatures underground are a lot more stable. Much less effort making it through a harsh winter and less suffering during any heatwave. So communities that took to this sort of option probably stuck with it even when not being attacked by outsiders.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

How would they know that they're able to live underground? Remember that there were no electricity back then, so they would have been living in the dark all the time.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: np6888
The city is built by the Greys/Reptilians. Come on, it's obvious that history is not what we've been told. There really is no motive for people to have built anything underground, when there were so much land, much less the technology to build it.

If my theory is correct, then they built it to avoid the flood or detection by the Nordics. I think there were actually 3 alien races in ancient times, Nordics, Greys and Reptilians(maybe even 4 if you include the Elohim, who ARE an E.T race, though they're not frequently mentioned.)

Dude! you're not supposed to know about those things!

My belief is....aliens or more likely; the people back then were far smarter than we've ever been allowed to know.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join