It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Million Square Foot Underground City Discovered In Turkey

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Many of you reading this are likely familiar with the underground city of Derinkuyu in the Nevşehir Province of Turkey. An impressive subterranean complex, it is estimated to have been capable of housing as many as 20,000 people along with livestock and stores of food. What you may not know is that more than 200 underground complexes with two or more levels are known to exist in the Cappadocia region and the most recently discovered of these is massive.

The city was found when workers demolishing buildings as part of an urban renewal project stumbled upon portions of the massive labyrinth of tunnels and chambers. It's estimated to be 5,000 years old and like Derinkuyu, contains everything necessary for a large populace to subsist underground for an extended period.

Parts of the underground city lie beneath Nevşehir Castle. Image Credit: Nat Geo

From National Geographic:

In 2014, those tunnels led scientists to discover a multilevel settlement of living spaces, kitchens, wineries, chapels, staircases, and bezirhane—linseed presses for producing lamp oil to light the underground city. Artifacts including grindstones, stone crosses, and ceramics indicate the city was in use from the Byzantine era through the Ottoman conquest.

Geophysicists from Nevşehir University conducted a systematic survey of a 1.5-mile (4-kilometer) area using geophysical resistivity and seismic tomography. From the 33 independent measurements they took, they estimate the site is nearly five million square feet (460,000 square meters).

These studies suggest the underground corridors may plunge as deep as 371 feet (113 meters). If that turns out to be accurate, the city could be larger than Derinkuyu by a third.

Additional sources:

Washin gton Post
Hurriyet Daily News
edit on 2015-3-29 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Turkey is a place where it seems lately a preexisting world can
be evidenced.

SnF
edit on Rpm32915v04201500000042 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Cool, I didn't know there were so many others.

Does this mean that some of these complexes were created by Christians in the Byzantine era or just that they are presumed to have made use of them?
edit on 29-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great find. S+F

They say the kitchen alone puts the other underground cities to shame.

Any idea what kind of people lived down there?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Cool find...

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow, thats impressive.

Even if used only recently in history, the process of building something so massive would have had to have been started LONG ago. It could even be a site of constant human occupation since the remote past. Maybe natural cave systems that were enlarged over time as populations made use of them and continued excavation.

26000 people could have lived there...how big were populations in the remote past? If we did reboot from a former civilization, these would be some of the bunkers where we could have done that.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Question...

These underground cities appear to be extremely large. Has the excavated material been located?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Looks like an ancient bunker. 5000 years old, we had nukes then right?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We have evidence then of peoples in our past seeking shelter underground from something. Something they knew of in advance, as it would take time to build/dig.

What did they know? What did they experience?

There seems to be a class of people in our age who are digging massive underground hideouts too. Do they know what was once known? Is it coming back?

All I know is that I have not yet received my invitation.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Great find. S+F

They say the kitchen alone puts the other underground cities to shame.

Any idea what kind of people lived down there?

My first guess would be Dwarves....

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

Do they know what was once known? Is it coming back?

We're already here.
edit on 29-3-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 29-3-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

SnF for this cool find. I wonder how these ancient people managed to dig out such a massive area. I wonder if they knew about the stone cutting leaf that some birds use to build nests into the side(s) of mountains...?

Unless it's the more obvious answer: this was a natural dwelling which people settled.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
We have evidence then of peoples in our past seeking shelter underground from something. Something they knew of in advance, as it would take time to build/dig.

What did they know? What did they experience?

There seems to be a class of people in our age who are digging massive underground hideouts too. Do they know what was once known? Is it coming back?

All I know is that I have not yet received my invitation.

Other guys with fire that would burn their homes down, it's called war, defensive structures to outlast a siege.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

SnF for this cool find. I wonder how these ancient people managed to dig out such a massive area. I wonder if they knew about the stone cutting leaf that some birds use to build nests into the side(s) of mountains...?

Unless it's the more obvious answer: this was a natural dwelling which people settled.

I think the soil is volcanic ash so the issue isn't so much how to dig it out which is fairly easy. What is impressive is their understanding of how to make it not collapse, the ingenious air circulation system and the sonic properties of the complex.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. At the one link, it almost looks like they had patched the side of the hill with rock. Maybe a cave in at one time?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Certainly no Moria. The NatGeo link has a short 3D tour you can go on for some of the tunnels. Very haphazard looking. Dwarves would have done a better job

V

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

You are not kidding!

I've been to Turkey on holiday twice now. Once in the south, and once in the north. Both times I went a jeep 'safari' where they essentially drive you around the country side for hours.

I'm not joking when I say that every few miles you see some kind of stunning old ruin, or enormous structures carved in to mountains. Even at first glance you can tell some of these amazing structures are so old; so much older than the rest.

I can't recommend Turkey enough. Really a gorgeous part of the world, and when you're out of the tourist traps and free in the countryside you can definitely feel that this place has housed ancient peoples.

Smurf

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I'm a bit confused by the OP, because the has the quote from National Geographic which states:

from the Byzantine era through the Ottoman conquest.

But also the assertion of 5,000 years ago?

Is there some question of a vast time period between their original construction and the last period of habitation?

They look exactly like the cave/underground city we have where I live, which was created in that Byzantine era, and was mostly Christians .

Balmes de Montbrun
It was a time, from the little I know, in which the polytheist roman religion was clashing with the growing Christian beliefs. So Christians who wanted to sort of revolt and retire from the roman power were running to the hills and preferring to dig themselves caves rather than pay taxes and be part of roman rule.

Kinda like "going off the grid", old school.

Ironically, they ended up having to pay taxes to the local lord eventually and became dependent upon him. But at least it was a smaller power they could actually deal with face to face, rather than a huge power far away and untouchable.

Probably a lot of us on a conspiracy site can relate !
edit on 30-3-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage
There were massive raids all across Kappadokia from nomads. You'll notice it's really at the crossroads of all civilisations and peoples.

Certain areas in the region had very little building resources, and it was far easier to use the rock to dig caves. They were so comfortable you can still stay in them as hotels

The earlier caves were smaller and simpler, later ones deeper down with hidden entrances. The people hid when swarms of migrants came through

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join