It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica hits highest temp recorded—63 F

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Highest temp ever recorded in Antartica.

Satellite observations from 1994 to 2012 reveal an accelerating decline in Antarctica's massive floating ice shelves, with some shrinking by 18 percent, in a development that could hasten the rise in global sea levels, scientists say, according to scientists published in the journal Science.

Source Weather CNBC

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My God.

The science consensus must be right after all !!

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Deniers will still deny it. It could hit 100 degrees there and they'd say "it was hotter in Arizona so what's the big deal?"

I just don't understand it. People readily accept the yearly screwed up weather patterns called "the little boy (el nino)" and "the little girl (la nina)". But they can't accept that more than 100 years of constantly burning fossil fuels would add particles into the atmosphere and change its balance.

Sadly, I think it's already too late.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
But they can't accept that more than 100 years of constantly burning fossil fuels would add particles into the atmosphere and change its balance.

That's amazing! only a hundred years or more? That's real science for you
It's a wonder then that the cavemen didn't go round with placards saying that the END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH back then.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

LOL, Antartica ice extent is largest on record but if you do search google news you get nothing but global warming news, funny that!

edit on 29 3 2015 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Why can people NOT use cold temp records but they CAN use warm temp records in these arguments?

Serious question given that If its a record cold month, the Climate Nazi's come out to say just because its cold there means jack.......yet a warm day in Antarctica is totally ok to use.

For the record, I believe in climate change, just not the extremism about it......

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
But they can't accept that more than 100 years of constantly burning fossil fuels would add particles into the atmosphere and change its balance.

That's amazing! only a hundred years or more? That's real science for you
It's a wonder then that the cavemen didn't go round with placards saying that the END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH back then.

Huh? I'm not sure what your point is. I'm talking about the Industrial Revolution, and afterwards, when the world adopted industrialism. That's when factories, transportation systems, large scale farming, and military machines started using fossil fuels on a large scale.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DavidWright

Confirmation bias. It only counts if it confirms your bias.

I've always found it strange that the true scientific method is all about observation and testing a hypothesis, and what do they base their assumptions on? Computer model predictions that can never be backed by actual observations. In real science, it would mean that their models are wrong, but somehow that's not true and they make all kinds of excuses for why the models are still right after all.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I also know that using the limited data we have based on tens of thousands of years of data we do NOT have is a big deal.........imagaine running and experiment 1000 times to get an average as opposed to running one 10 times to get an average..........I think we dont have enough data to make some of the claims we seem to make on temp.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
CNBC is owned by NBC Universal.

NBC Universal owns The weather Company

The Weather Company owns The Weather Channel

The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground.

Not buying it just yet.

Jet stream image for Tuesday, March, 24, 2015, over Antarctica. An unusually extreme contortion of the jet stream allowed a ridge of high pressure to extend far to the south over the Antarctic Peninsula, bringing record-warm air from South America.

It looks like a simple manipulation of our jet streams played a nasty trick on Antarctica. They just so happened to measure the temperature during that period.

The base already exists in the warmest part of Antarctica on the peninsula and they want to make it sound like what's happening there, is happening to the continent as a whole.

The mainland is warming five times slower than where that base is located. Parts of Antarctica will melt while new parts are freeze.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Speaking as someone who has been following this a bit I will tell you that the antarctic peninsula being the warmest part of Antarctica isn't any kind of secret. They also take daily hourly measurements so it isn't any type of happenstance that the temp was measured. It would fall under SOP Standard Operating Procedure.

The fact remains Antartica is losing more land Ice than it is gaining and those were the highest recorded temperatures for that region.

The article hasn't missrepresented anything.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Henny Penny, more commonly known in the United States as Chicken Little and sometimes as Chicken Licken, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

the limited data we have based on tens of thousands of years of data

They have a lot more than that based on ice cores, seabed cores, fossilized trees, etc.

Doesn't anyone in the GOP ever read or watch the history channel?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Nasa Article: Antarctica coldest place on earth: science.nasa.gov...

Don't worry, temps are low again today 3-29-2015: 34 degrees F as a high, -84 degree F as a low, the average is still well below 0 degrees.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I do not deny climate change......However I do not trust the people pushing it. Lies stacked on lies and it is all about power and money.

Maybe it is fossil fuels......Or it is the solar cycle......Or it is a long term pattern.....Anyone saying they have the definitive answer is a liar or looking to scam.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Ice cores were taken from the region after they discovered that an increase in temperature will also increase snowfall over the continent.

There initial argument was the increase in ocean surface temps would increase evaporation and send the moisture up to Antarctica where it would snow.

This was supposed to be a significant offset to the rising sea levels until they analyzed the ice cores.

The continent had seen an increase between 5 and 10 degrees Celsius as we came out of the last ice age between 10,000 and 25,000 years ago and for every degree of warming, there was a five percent increase in snowfall.

There findings showed that the increased snowfall would have 20% less of an impact on balancing rising ocean levels than previously thought. So, maybe we are screwed.

The article says the temperature has increased 5 degrees on the peninsula in only the last 100 years which would me 1 degree for the continent as a whole. What happened to the continent over a 10,000 year span has now occurred in roughly 500 years. Super.

I'll reserve judgment until the mudslinging between scientists and politicians comes to an end.

Link

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Good article. I am glad they have 30 computer models that agree with the core samples(something I have heard people say never happens) and there should be 20% less impact on sea level rise based off predictions.

As far as the mudslinging goes I don't really see it from the scientists and since I got rid of cable years ago I don't deal with the political side. I just read the articles on the science to get a better idea of what's going on. I have never seen anyone change their mind on the subject from ATS posts, but discussions can kill the boredom at times.

I just watched the documentary chasing ice tonight and IMO more photographic evidence such as that is what is needed to change perceptions. It was a interesting documentary, they had one hell of a time getting the cameras to work in those conditions. I would like to see one on Antarctica.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

LOL, Antartica ice extent is largest on record but if you do search google news you get nothing but global warming news, funny that!

Well done, you've shown that you don't have a clue as to how anything works when you jump immediately to SEA ICE EXTENT as if it negates anything.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DavidWright
Why can people NOT use cold temp records but they CAN use warm temp records in these arguments?

Serious question given that If its a record cold month, the Climate Nazi's come out to say just because its cold there means jack.......yet a warm day in Antarctica is totally ok to use.

For the record, I believe in climate change, just not the extremism about it......

What are you talking about? Skeptics keep pushing at how cold it was in parts of the U.S. this year. Same goes with last year. Did you not see the Senator throwing a snowball on the floor of Congress?

However, it is foolish to do so when much of the U.S. and the rest of the world was above average temperature during this cold period. Hence, the average global temperature was higher while parts of the U.S. (mostly around and east of the Mississippi) and Canada were cooler.

This is simply a record warm day in Antarctica.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

the limited data we have based on tens of thousands of years of data

They have a lot more than that based on ice cores, seabed cores, fossilized trees, etc.

Doesn't anyone in the GOP ever read or watch the history channel?

Dont go there..........I love how if you question the fact that EVERYONE has a dam agenda you get lumped with a party bias. Screw the left, screw the right, dont assume all of us have to be narrow minded like I'm assuming you are from your comment.

You cant extrapolate with full certainty, climate readings based on fossils and cores........they are a guide but lets be real, no science is certain here and we have flaws in data that has actual tools to measure it currently. I want the truth....thats all, not some political Nazi telling me I have to believe what they tell me or I have no opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join