It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are *you*doing to save the planet?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
The bulb commitment is a big one. The incandescents are waaaaay more expensive, at least where I am.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut

we will either change or the earth will right itself after we pass from its face

either way the earth wins

Thank goodness for that!

I just hope the former scenario happens instead of the latter.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Incandescent bulbs are not to be sold for domestic purposes these days in the UK or Europe.

However, you can purchase the self same bulbs, except these days they come inside a box that says something like "Rough Service: For industrial use only"

There is no difference between these, and the bulbs we all know and love, and the price has not gone up at all on those where I am. The mercury stuffed Compact Flourescent Lamps however, tend to be very pricey indeed, as well as being impossible to safely dispose of once expended, or damaged. When the first batches of those hit landfill (which they inevitably will) I expect to see the mercury problem become bigger exponentially in the local environment, over time.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I've made the switch to all LED lighting in my home. I did it slowly as each bulb burnt out because it's expensive. We'll see if my electric bill gets lower...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I am trying to figure out a way to use politicians and international banksters to grow food. The only thing I could think of was fertilizer, as they are parasites, serve no real purpose and are extremely high in BS and apparently BS is good for the soil LOL. Making more good soil would certainly help save the planet ;-) j/k?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I would love to replace my domestic lighting with high powered LED alternatives.

They last like anything, and they use so little power when compared against their lumen output. But you are right, at this point in time LED are very expensive. I would have thought that might change over time, as more and more companies jump on the LED bandwagon.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

We're having to go all LED, too. The incandescents are available once again here in the states, but surprise, surprise GE holds a near monopoly on them jow because the ban pretty much put al the other outlets out of business. I refuse to buy GE bulbs and I refuse to have fluorescent lighting in my house. I'm photosensitive in my migraines and a bulb flickering at just the wrong frequency will trigger a migraine every time.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I SnF'd you simply because, gosh dang it! God bless your heart for trying to do something.

Will it have an effect?

Who can say.

Me?

I do lots of little things, but since deer and elk can cause environmental damage, I do my best to keep the population down.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer , I know! All that methane deer produce! a delicious way to help the environment.

(post by 3n19m470 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
We limit our water usage. No daily showers unless someone is actually dirty, otherwise it's just a waste of the resource. No running water while dishes are washed, or teeth are brushed. Common sense measures, really. We also try to limit our produce to locally grown only, and if we're in the mood for something that doesn't grow where we are, we limit it to grown within the US (we avoid imported produce, in other words)

I'm also a stickler for reduced electrical usage. If you don't need a light on, don't turn it on. Such as, if you're zoned out watching TV or online, save a few watts & keep the light off. You're not using anyway if you're focused on the screen. Don't leave them on if you leave a room, don't keep things like chargers plugged in when not in use, etc.

We also have curtains in the bedroom that hold in heat at night/keep heat out during the day. It's helpful for keeping the bedroom a stable temperature so we don't have to run the electric heater as often. As far as the house's heating system goes, it's a struggle, but I try to keep it around 70*. Others bump it as high as 78* some times, but that drives me nuts. All it's going to do is run forever trying to reach that, just maintain what it gets up to (which at best is 72*) if you can't deal with it any cooler.

As far as electronics go, I only replace mine when they're not longer repairable for me (soldering on new components is beyond my abilities) We've had to replace a desktop once in the last 8 years or so, only because the prior one was utterly fried after a lightning strike. I was hoping to keep it for many more years, but oh well. The current one has been going strong for several years, with plenty of room for upgrading. It doesn't even need a separate graphics card yet, the built-in chip still works just fine even for games like Farcry.
I don't have the latest gadgets, I don't need a smartphone or tablet, I have a java-run smartphone imitation I was given after someone else upgraded theirs (nice timing, my decade plus old Nokia brick had died)

Quick edit: We also don't have a car, and haven't for close to a decade. We walk, or use public transit. If neither of those can help us get to where we need to go, then we don't really need to go there. Cabs have been utilized in a few instances for things like doctor's appointments, but that's about it.

Helping the planet out doesn't have to mean stripping yourself naked, and running off into the woods to eat wildflowers & live in harmony with it. It just means to be reasonable, and live reasonable.
edit on 3/29/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

My family... -plants milkweed for the monarch butterflies. -carpools or walks when possible. -line dries our clothes -collects and scatters native seeds -uses reusable grocery bags.

That's awesome, thank you. Please allow me to ask, have you ever seen the planet from outside your physical body? More than likely, not. It's all from within. You can't experience anything outside your physical body or senses. Fix your "inside" first ! That's how you save the planet. It's about one thing - LOVE

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I realized that almost every little thing my family does to protect the environment and native species was inspired through conversation with friends. Little anecdotes have a big impact. So I'd love some inspiration from the rowdy renegades on ATS. How are you saving the planet?

You want inspiration? There's so much. Things I do, things my family does, my friends, people I admire - whole groups of people...but I just read this article. It starts out kinda kicking you in the gut (then it gets worse) but, it ends up being a very rational and practical look at the way change happens, and how we can contribute towards that change

The planet won’t notice you recycle, and your vote doesn’t count

WHY RECYCLE, BIKE, AND EAT LESS MEAT

Shift gears to reducing, reusing, and recycling, the mantra of every good environmentalist. The thinking there is roughly the same as for voting. Your single act of kindness isn’t going to change the course of history. Recycling won’t stop global warming. One of us wrote an entire book titled: But Will the Planet Notice?
No, it won’t.

:-)

Good for you - and S&F

Onward and upward...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I've made the switch to all LED lighting in my home. I did it slowly as each bulb burnt out because it's expensive. We'll see if my electric bill gets lower...

ive converted my whole house over..
you will see a lower bill!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I certainly can't save the planet but I can avoid messing up the little patch I'm occupying.
At present my efforts are to reduce, recycle and reuse. As many have said, it is common sense but sadly, there is a serious deficit of that in our population today.
I use incandescent bulbs in winter and LEDs in summer---except for a couple of reading lamps in which my spouse will not abide an LED.
My past efforts revolved around getting a county-wide recycling program established and bringing the local university and some major companies together to make it work. I'm happy to say that it has been highly successful.
In the area of recycle and reuse I helped get a thrift shop established that provides revenue for our free health care clinic for the "working poor" (those who don't have insurance but don't qualify for Medicade.) I am currently in discussions with the local art guild to establish a program that would use the materials donated to the thrift shop that are not salable in art projects, particularly the clothing. This would reduce the amount of tonnage going to the landfill. Clothing that may not be wearable in its present condition can easily be turned into rugs, blankets, etc. with a bit of creativity applied.
To protect our air and water I've lobbied for and gotten local legislation in place that prevented the invasion of the factory farm swine producers in our county. I grow all my gardens organically and purchase as much food locally as is possible. But I refuse to give up chocolate or coffee to save the planet. That's just my limit.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

I am trying to figure out a way to use politicians and international banksters to grow food. The only thing I could think of was fertilizer, as they are parasites, serve no real purpose and are extremely high in BS and apparently BS is good for the soil LOL. Making more good soil would certainly help save the planet ;-) j/k?

Cheers - Dave

since they likely eat only fresh organic foods and stay well away from all the nasty additives in our available foods....they would make a really good organic fertilizer....i like it save the planet one bankster at a time

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I recycle household garbage, paper, plastics etc, I have some bird feeders to keep the birds happy,i keep my car in good mechanical order to reduce pollution. Just little things like that might make a difference or they might not but I feel good doing them.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

"What are *you*doing to save the planet? "

Dying Soon . My Ashes will Fertilize Mother Earths Soil...............

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

"Saving" the planet is impossible. All we can and should do is enjoy what mother Earth gives us, before it meets the same fate as every other planetary body.

Eventually, all are either destroyed by a collision, their sun becoming unstable, or simply going cold after the sun exhausts it's fuel. Just normal cycles within our universe.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join