It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paperwork Filed for the "First Church of Cannabis" in Indiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

INDIANAPOLIS - Paperwork for the First Church of Cannabis Inc. was filed Thursday – the same day Gov. Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law.

Link

Well, that was quick. I'm sure the Secretary of State's office is being flooded with all kinds of requests. If you thought the court systems were a mess now, just wait. "But officer, I belong to the Church of Driving While Intoxicated. I'm just practicing my religious beliefs!"

There was a previous thread regarding the new law here.

A brief description...

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act would allow any individual or corporation to cite its religious beliefs as a defense when sued by a private party. But many opponents of the bill, which included business leaders, argued that it could open the door to widespread discrimination. Business owners who don't want to serve same-sex couples, for example, could now have legal protections to discriminate.

Here's the PDF if you're interested.

This thread is more related to the outcome and aftermath after the new law went into effect. More dividing, more discriminating. I understand that you should have the right to turn away any customer working for a private company or your own business, but where does that mindset put us in a the future? It practically breeds ignorance.

Pretty soon we'll have gay and lesbian condominiums or diners in the south who only serve people with mullets. It will never end. The business owner may hold his beliefs above other employees who may have to carry out orders that make them feel uncomfortable. All because of one person's intolerance.

The filing comes as RTV6 political insider Abdul-Hakim Shabazz said on his blog, IndyPolitics.org , that the Colorado-based Green Faith Ministries believed it could expand its ministry into Indiana.

Hell, they can "practice" in my backyard anytime. Probably just a bunch of fun loving hippies. I'll show them what "tolerance" is all about, lol.

The Religious Freedom Restoration Act prevents state government from "substantially burdening" a person's exercise of religion only if it can demonstrate that it is the least restrictive means of furthering a compelling governmental interest.

Just wait until Mr. Soros makes a few investments in the state of Indiana. If the fire burns hot enough, the DOJ will get involved and fan the flames. For every new venture that arises, another equally opposing venture will surely appear as well. And don't forget your monthly donation.

According to Levin's Facebook page, members of the First Church of Cannabis will be asked for individual donations of $4.20 a month.

For those who don't know marijuana is illegal in Indiana for both medicinal and recreational use. At this point, ending prohibition on marijuana seems like peanut butter and jelly to me. Or maybe I've got a wicked craving. mmm... a chocolate covered banana and peanut butter sandwich.

Any thoughts?

edit on 29-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Smoke em if you got em, Amen?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
For those who don't know marijuana is legal in Indiana for both medicinal and recreational use.

I don't think this is true. Indiana Law

Indiana has some of the most draconian marijuana penalties in the country. Possession of even a single joint is punishable by up to a year of incarceration and a fine of up to $5,000.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Now there's a church worth believing in haha

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Church of Cannabis Eh?
Amen!

There goes my Atheism out the window lol.

Pass the communion Doritos Padre

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You are correct. I misread.

It's been edited.

edit on 29-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

This could have an upside apart from the potential for religious use of cannabis ;-) Doesn't the bible say someplace that usury is a sin? I can see a lot of mortgages resolved and a lot of banksters in the red. Maybe the Church of Cannabis can incorporate that it's a sin to lend money with interest too? It sure would be funny to see this used as a legal defense, especially if that bird flew.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

I always believed in a "higher" power.

LOL

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Since cannabis has been used as an entheogen for a long time, I wouldn't call it the first church. But maybe I'm nitpicking.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

👣

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Gives a little different twist on "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition".

In this case, I guess it would be more like "Praise the Lord and Pass the Bowl."

dex

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The Dude should be their Prophet.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

PERFECT! The whole reason the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act was written was because of SCOTUS said that we didn't have the right to use illegal drugs for religious purposes.

Here is the back story: In Employment Division v. Smith (1990), two American Indians who worked as private drug rehab counselors ingested peyote as part of religious ceremonies conducted by the Native American Church, and they were subsequently fired. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the firing, with Justice Antonin Scalia saying that using a religious exemption in conflict of a valid law “would open the prospect of constitutionally required exemptions from civic obligations of almost every conceivable kind.”

A near unanimous Congress passed RFRA in 1993 and President Bill Clinton signed the law. RFRA said that “governments should not substantially burden religious exercise without compelling justification” and “the compelling interest test as set forth in prior Federal court rulings is a workable test for striking sensible balances between religious liberty and competing prior governmental interests.”
blog.constitutioncenter.org...

Why It’s Time to Repeal the Religious Freedom Restoration Act

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The "First Church of Cannabis" sounds like the only religion I could see myself believing in.

Maybe the first church that actually accepts everyone.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Amphoreus

I will leave a bowl of Doritos for The Dude as a sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

First church of cannabis is in Amsterdam, years and years ago.

You mean in America then?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AK907ICECOLD

First church of cannabis is in Amsterdam, years and years ago.

You mean in America then?

Nope. The term "first" just means they were the first in their area. And if someone doesn't like that church, they can go make a second. Or create their own sect in order to be "first" again. The thread title clearly states that it's in Indiana.

Different branches of Christianity favor their own naming conventions. The Catholics tend to use the names of saints, while some of the Protestant denominations are a little more straightforward and descriptive, and often use their location and the order they were founded in their names. That is, the “First Baptist Church of [Town]” got that name because it was the first Baptist church founded in that area.

Link 1
Link 2

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan
a reply to: Amphoreus

I will leave a bowl of Doritos for The Dude as a sacrifice.

You're onto something here. The Dude abides.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
"Let's praise the lord and we will feel alr(high)t"
- Bob Marley

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

By saying nope, you would be agreeing with me.

Lil ass backwards, but I get your just.

Thx

new topics

top topics

join