It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be a Religious Jerk and respect others, pass the word at your church.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Put a note on your front yard that you Worship Adolf Satan Hussein-Laden and that you conduct monthly "celebrations".

You will not need to worry about people knocking at your door.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Tell them you are a ghost hunter, bust out an EMF detector app on your phone and tell them you believe they are possessed.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I live in the South and this is the norm. Usually, it's a wad of little old ladies in their 70's and 80's, with their hair all perfect under their little dressy hats. Their lipstick a neon pink. Their coats go way below their knees and they have a tight grip on their books with both hands. There's about 20 of them crammed into a 4 seater car. Guess they figure there is safety in numbers. When I see them coming, I let my dogs out onto the porch to bark. Hopefully I accomplish this before they try to pile out of the car because it takes them soooo long to get back in.Then they sit there awhile and look befuddled and point at the dogs. It's almost as though they are drawing straws to attempt a 2nd try. Finally, they'll drive off and I'm safe till next month.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Part or the "con" or "scam" with many organized religions is that they are mandated to convert others. How else are the people at the top of the pyramid of power supposed to maintain their power structure?

If a certain religion was the bees knees, its followers wouldn't have to try and convert other people. Everyone would be lined up ready to be indoctrinated.

It's one thing to make your religion known and available, its another to go out and try to convince other people of its validity. If it's legit, you wouldn't have to "convince" someone.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As annoying as it is, some people have it as a tenant of their faith that they are to go out and knock on doors. I'm not fond of it either, but in the end, it doesn't bother me any more than any other person who comes to my door will. If I'm not in the mood to deal with it, I simply don't answer the door.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The days of the door-to-door missionary are, I believe (and for the time being), over. People are so locked into their personal bubbles that they don't even know their next-door neighbors' first names. Of course complete strangers knocking on doors is considered intrusive and inconsiderate.

I haven't opened my door for someone I didn't know in... well, ever. We simply don't trust anyone anymore. The door-to-door sales pitch is, simply, not an effective conversion technique (at least in the West). If anything, they should utilize their time and resources more efficiently.

However. Missionary work is just as much about the missionary's faith as it is about the potential convert's. In many ways missionary work serves to solidify the testimony of the missionary more than anything else, contibuting to the cohesiveness of the group.

Which, as the OP stated, is a little inconsiderate. Simply lead by your example. We're tired of being sold something at every turn.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

tenant

You mean
"tenet"

Just sayin'.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

The days of the door-to-door missionary are, I believe (and for the time being), over. People are so locked into their personal bubbles that they don't even know their next-door neighbors' first names. Of course complete strangers knocking on doors is considered intrusive and inconsiderate.

Mmm....

Yeah - my dad died in early August of 2010. A couple of days afterwards, I was sitting out in my yard, gazing at the sky and the trees and birds and crying....
they approached me. I said, "My dad just died." They gave me some 'watchtower' material. I thanked them.

On Thanksgiving DAY they showed up again. I told them it was a bad time.
Again, on Christmas DAY, they showed up. I said it was time for me to go be with my family.....

After that, I put a sign on my door that said 'No soliciting of any kind."

They didn't come back.
AND - I know my neighbors. We are friends. We stick up for each other, and watch each others' homes when one of us is away. I know not many people these days have that advantage (luxury) - that blessing of a network of people living on the same block, the same street -

but where I've chosen to live, we do.

edit on 3/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

My Christian wife agrees with this and can provide you with scripture to quote to them that says not to bother people in their homes and such.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Weirdly I used to have them at the door once a week rambling on at me when I was hung over, one day I felt really bad about turning this ancient lady away (as I knew her) so I let her do her bit, I listened for some time. She was happy though I was bored having read most of the old testament and all of the new. At the end she asked me about coming to church I politely declined and thanked her for her time. She then said the words which still echo in my ears today:

"Thank you for your time Dear, it was very nice having a young man who listens for a change but as you made your self clear I will make sure you are not bothered again"

Then something like "god be with you"

Blow me down! I havent had anyone at my door since talking about the good book yet other houses around me I see them knocking on. Though I feel left out now

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Let's see... take 5 minutes to make a sign, or spend all day whining about it?

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

How about people like minded as yourself respect others and their home and not go and try to sell them cr@p they didn't ask for , so they don't have to put a sign up.

Better yet, why don't people like minded as yourself go to homes that ONLY have a sign that says please come and sell me something.

You are an uninvited guest that is doing a personal live commercial , plain an simple.

You want to talk or need help, fine than knock: Just don't come to my home and disrupt me to sell me something I didn't ask for.
edit on 00331America/ChicagoMon, 30 Mar 2015 09:00:59 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
All you have to do is tell them you're not interested.

The guy who comes to my house won't accept money. His church doesn't take donations, and the guy is really smart and kind on top of that. To spread the word is a part of their beliefs--and all that's required of you, if you don't want to hear it, is simply tell them so.

There are a lot worse people in the world, doing a lot worse things.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Mathew 10:15 I believe, King James Bible.
"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."
Jesus instructed his disciples to go forth and spread the word.

Now how it's done with each particular religion, some are aggressive, seemingly having to have the last word, and not able to fathom that you might not want any part of their preaching. But that is society/sales, common in this day and age.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

To spread the word is a part of their beliefs--and all that's required of you, if you don't want to hear it, is simply tell them so.

I have and every other weekend its different members perhaps from different churches . Plus I doubt any of them keep a tally on who wants to be bothered on the weekend and who doesn't

There are a lot worse people in the world, doing a lot worse things.

Obviously , I'm not saying to kill them, be rude to them ,or its a huge deal. In fact All I'm suggesting is that they not be rude to strangers and assume that people want to be pitched in their own home.

How do you think they would treat me if I stood at their door after Sunday service, passing out pamphlets on why God doesn't exist or that Christianity is a joke, or that God is really the devil and they are going to hell ,etc?

I'm not knocking their believe and respect their right to believe in what ever they want. However, its inconsiderate,rude, pompous and hypocritical of them to assume that others want to be disrupted in there home to hear what they have to say .

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Jesus instructed his disciples to go forth and spread the word.

I understand that , but it still does not make it any less pompous or disrespectful to do so uninvited.

edit on 22331America/ChicagoTue, 31 Mar 2015 09:22:43 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Next time they are at the door, tell them this, "Can you be quick? My coven and I are sacrificing a goat in the basement to almighty Baphomet. Then we are going to have a big orgy in his honor and you are holding us up."

Next thing you'll know. They'll be on ATS talking about the secret Satanist takeover of the suburbs and how they have eye witness accounts. It'll be fun.
edit on 31-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
And now for something completely different..

I invite them in,seat them, offer them food and drink (the last visitors were treated to some mini pizzas made from baby portabello mushrooms) and before any preaching is done i make it clear that i have no belief in their version of god nor will i be converted but they are more than welcome to try.

So time passes and they do the usual taught evangelism of their faction, give me the pamphlets and in one case leave one of their holy tomes i asked for, for future references when they come back to see what i thought about it, and they do come back which i treat them to food and drink as the first visit afterward talk about their religion again.

Long story short, on the first visit i let them control the tone while evaluating their faith and made notes of the weakness. By the second visit i have read their book and i control the tone asking about various pieces of scripture and history and if they come back a third time, im in full control of the conversation.
usually by the end of the third visit the seeds of free thought have been planted and i rarely ever see them again, hopefully the learned to think for themselves and not blindly follow whatever others say to be the truth.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If they still knock, answer the door naked and in a satanic voice, say you worship Satan... They won't come back after that.

LOL, excellent idea with the Satanic voice

My husband got the JWs to stop coming to our previous residence by telling the two of them to come right in & read their storybook to the kids so he could get some household chores done. They left in a hurry, and no one ever came back again. So there you go, offer to let them babysit while you're fixing something or working on something in the other room, they won't stay

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We agree with your rant, They almost always arrive at our doorstep in the mornings and I just jam a smoke in my mouth and grab a beer out of the fridge and open it no matter what time of day.
I make a point of when I open our front door the smoke is dangling out of my mouth and the beer in my hand is quite visible. Plus make sure your shirt is untucked and muss up your hair if you have any. Then I simply ask them (usually two people) WHAT? in a loud and nasty voice..........about face and gone:-)

It has worked every single time for me.

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 31-3-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join