It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US drops gruesome anti-ISIL leaflet on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I dont find the pamphlets picture all that gruesome. They should show the absolute evil ISIL are carrying out in the name of islam. Like beheadings and other executions and the destruction they are causing to ancient relics and places of worship.

Sixty thousand copies of propaganda pamphlets dropped over Raqqa but experts question efficacy and tenor of the leaflet.

The US military is dropping some gruesome propaganda on Syria. On March 16 an F-15E fighter jet dropped 60,000 copies of the above leaflet on Raqqa, the base of operations for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL.

The image shows a "Daesh Employment Office" (Daesh is a pejorative nickname for ISIL in the Arab world). Two ISIL recruiters, one of whom appears more monster than man, feed young men into a meat grinder with "Daesh" written in blood on its side. A sign in the upper-right corner reads "Now Serving Number 6,001". When asked about the intended message of the leaflet,

Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steve Warren, said "If you allow yourself to be recruited by Daesh, you will find yourself in a meat grinder."

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

I think the message is clear.

You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

What ISIS is doing is not pretty, it's not PC, and it isn't in line with anyone's values. ISIS does not respect life, they do not value people, they are not a way out of anything.

You join them you should expect to be killed. You join them you forfeit your life.
edit on pSun, 29 Mar 2015 09:17:17 -0500201529America/Chicago2015-03-29T09:17:17-05:0031vx3 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Looks more like the album cover art of an Arabic version of Iron Maiden (the band).

If they are trying to send a message, I'm not sure this will be received the way they expect.

~Namaste
edit on 29-3-2015 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

Reminds me of the meat grinder in Pink Floyd's, The Wall.

Syrians don't need no Education. They know who's behind the propaganda and the Insurgency.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Who is the artist?
Looks similar to some graphic novels I have read.

I don't understand the writing,but the image is quite effective in hopefully making people think before they give their lives away for a lie.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I thought of PF too but thought of this version by Luther Wright and the wrongs

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

The image shows a "Daesh Employment Office" (Daesh is a pejorative nickname for ISIL in the Arab world). Two ISIL recruiters, one of whom appears more monster than man, feed young men into a meat grinder with "Daesh" written in blood on its side. A sign in the upper-right corner reads "Now Serving Number 6,001". When asked about the intended message of the leaflet,

Pentagon spokesman Colonel Steve Warren, said "If you allow yourself to be recruited by Daesh, you will find yourself in a meat grinder."

www.aljazeera.com...

Imho the image seems to present the 'recruits' as young Western males and not the bearded religiously inspired Syrian youths that the flyer seems to be aimed at.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems counter-productive in its portrayal and to an uncritical indoctrinated mind it would appear to portray daesh fighters grinding the young men of the West.

Also using a 'cartoon' to influence young muslim minds is beyond ironic. This is more like a recruitment poster for those nutcases.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, this cartoon is meant for whoever does not understand what is really going on with those IS psycho, at least the message is clear.

I prefer humor when it comes to delivering a message.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

This looks like a Charlie Hebdo cover picture. What do they think this will achieve ,besides creating litter? Good fire kindling, I suppose. Good job, Obama! You've assisted ISIS in keeping warmer.

Why not just show the truth instead of imply the ugliness of ISIS?

SHowing the grinding up of infidels might not go over as intended, ya know?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Not going to make one bit of difference.

first off all if your a Syrian who supports ISIS you would just say this is propaganda.

If you hate ISIS after them slaughtering your family this picture is not going to make you hate them any more.

And if you are "on the fence", a gruesome picture is not going to sway you one way or the other.

All this is good for is burning jet fuel.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Propaganda Leaflets are used by a side which is losing the war they started.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VigiliaProcuratio

So the Coalition was losing Desert Storm?
edit on 3/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe at the time if it dropped leaflets. Mind you, leaflets can work I suppose.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: VigiliaProcuratio

At no point was the Coalition losing Desert Storm. But they still used leaflets a number of times.
edit on 3/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

But experts question... I always love that one. Who the hell are the experts you quote?

I would say those flyers describe fairly well what ISIS is doing..

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If leaflet drops had no effect,they would not still be used.
They have worked in one way or another since the 1800's,and possibly before that.
Simple as that.

Messages from the sky always seem to have an effect.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Fair enough, point taken. I was just looking at it like this; if they're having to drop leaflets then something must have gone wrong. In other words, surely there was a foreseen risk of the war being lost.

Depending on the content and intention and of the leaflets, I feel that targeting civilians in this manner could amount to a war crime. Of course, there may be genuine humanitarian grounds for such a tactic but in this case I have serious doubts about that.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: VigiliaProcuratio

Fair enough, point taken. I was just looking at it like this; if they're having to drop leaflets then something must have gone wrong. In other words, surely there was a foreseen risk of the war being lost.

Depending on the content and intention and of the leaflets, I feel that targeting civilians in this manner could amount to a war crime. Of course, there may be genuine humanitarian grounds for such a tactic but in this case I have serious doubts about that.

Leaflets have proved very effective. Even in Iraq leaflets were dropped explaning how to surrender to coalition forces. Those leaflets saved alot of lives because they knew what was going to happen and how to approach.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I was brash in saying only a losing side uses leaflets, though there was a point...

If it's used against an actual enemy then it's neither here nor there, but I regard it as a serious problem if civilians are the explicit target. I'm not suggesting this to be the case, but there may have been past examples where the effective message was "get out of dodge because the bombers are coming!", which might be comparable to the IRA issuing a coded warning in respect of bombing an English nightclub. What really concerns about this example is that the context is unclear. If the intent was to dissuade civilians from forfeiting their neutrality then they could just as easily have used plain text. A sadistic cartoon is clearly open to interpretation, which I feel implies an ulterior motive. I'm not refuting the effectiveness of the tactic in general, but rather the ethics. I appreciate that under certain conditions it could be deployed as a means of humanitarian intervention, but almost anything which happens in Syria open to speculation.

edit on 30th March 2015 by VigiliaProcuratio because:  

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Perhaps these leaflets would be better dropped on Europe , England , Australia the US and Canada .

top topics

join