It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police threat over children playing adult video games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: daftpink
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Yes Im not disputing that fact, just the fact that people / babies are BORN screwed up. I don't believe babies are born that way and subsequently there is no hope for them. Its the nature/nurture argument I guess.

I do believe we all have a path we can choose to take or not, but thats getting a bit metaphysical

The evidence says some folks are just messed up.

There are people from every walk of life that go bad.

Some come out of hell and are great people, some have all the love and education in the world and become like Manson.

Sure environment can play a role, but some folks are just born to be bad.
edit on 29-3-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Again I have already said that in some cases, people have neurological deficits that cause them to lack empathy en.m.wikipedia.org...
Having worked with people who are 'messed up' its their tragic lives or abuse by others that they talk of as precursors to when they got in trouble, not 'oh i think i was just born this way'. There are a minority who have had no past traumas but like I said this is due to the make up of their brain. The majority are the way they are because of other humans.
edit on 29/3/2015 by daftpink because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I believe it's down to the parents control. If you're going to have kids they are your responsibility you should be aware of what goes on around them what they interact with you are the ones who can control what they are educated and influenced by. But after working with the general public for the last 13 years I can see that some parents really couldn't give two monkeys about what their kids get up to. I've detained kids shop lifting before and when you ask where the parents are they turn around and say at home and that they just told the kids to get out the house. I've accepted now it's very difficult to find the nice human beings this world is buggered as regards to the way we treat each other .. That's a different story though

Going back on topic should we think that the gaming companies should have stricter access to the games and have some sort of process in place to stop younger kids playing the games. Mind you though if you would to take the adult games bought for the younger generation would gaming companies lose out on sales? The world revolves around money at the end of the day

Those are my thoughts anyway

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
To those saying these kinds of games shouldn't exist: kindly keep your grubby hands off my Xbox. I don't try to dictate what you, a grown adult (presumably) can do to entertain yourself in your home, so please stay out of my Xbox. I assure you that I have never once considered driving a car off the top of a parking deck and crashing it in to a helicopter as I float back to earth under a parachute while firing a machine gun with both hands, despite having played grand theft auto in nearly all its iterations. So please don't force me to tell you what color paint you're allowed to watch dry on the walls of your living room

To the one talking about the 2nd Amendment: seriously? You take an article about the actions of a police department in the UK, an article that was posted by a UK media outlet, and try to turn it into a 2nd Amendment diatribe? Really? That's got to be one of the hugest leaps I've ever seen, even on ATS, for a gun grab speech.

Finally - some people are born with a switch turned off. Some people have that switch turned off later in life (I know, I was married to one of them) by any number of causes. But it's not the government's job to babysit somebody. An actively engaged family can deal with a lot of issues on their own. You don't want to worry about how your kids turn out? Don't expose them to things until they're mature enough to understand them. People should know their children better than the government knows their children. Shouldn't be up to the government to save the day.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yes Im not disputing that fact, just the fact that people / babies are BORN screwed up. I don't believe babies are born that way and subsequently there is no hope for them. Its the nature/nurture argument I guess.

I do believe we all have a path we can choose to take or not, but thats getting a bit metaphysical

Oh well. Just a difference of opinion. I simply don't think a video game is going to turn someone into a murderer if they are not extremely predisposed to it.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

Oh well. Just a difference of opinion. I simply don't think a video game is going to turn someone into a murderer if they are not extremely predisposed to it.

All humans are predisposed, all humans are capable of murder.

That is the fallacy in most of these arguments.

They assume nobody would ever murder "unless" completely ignoring facts about human nature(like we have always been killers of other creatures and each other, and we are predatory creatures by nature, hence FPS games being so popular).

Man was not hard wired to be hippies, we are natures best predator on the planet, hence our rein at the tippidy top if the food chain over all other super predators.

We are in fact the predator of super predators.

This obvious fact can be ignored by the oblivious if they want, but it doesn't change the truth.

We are the most dangerous animal on this planet.
edit on 29-3-2015 by johnwick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You would not let your 12 year old go and watch a 18 rated movie.

So its just totally stupid that you would let them play a 18 rated game.

I am a huge gamer, love video games but would i let a young child play GTA, no.

Also I think if parents did stop their kids playing games it would mean much less 14 year old racists on COD lobbies.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Its parental negligence. Many parents consider video games as kids stuff, which for most video games it is not. If you have youngsters and play adult content video games, they will watch the parents play the games and want to participate and through persistence eventually will get access. If not the parents, kids are influenced by their friends.

There will be warped kids in every group. They tend to play the games to extreme excess to act out their fantasies. With the new immersive technology coming out such as, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Sony's project Morpheus there is no telling what a kid with a warped mind will manifest out of it.

Back in the day, movies with adult content could only be seen at a theater were patrons could be screened before entering the theaters. Now any movie can be steamed straight to the HDTV. If a TV has a parental lock most kids can break it in no time.

When I was a youngster, kids would play cowboys and indians, world war II combat with toy guns. If police, back then, were like they are today there would have been many children shootings by police.
edit on 29-3-2015 by eManym because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join