It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Future Combat Systems!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Wow, all those fancy video's definitly hype it up...

They definitly have some interest vehicles, Is there any information of what they will be armed with?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The real power would be the integrated networking / battlefield awareness, this opens the door for 13 year kids who excel in Red Alert and Unreal Tournament.. Once you can really get a complete live theatre picture on your computerscreens, I would really consider recruiting top 10 players.

You would have the Red Alert players with a birds eye view of their sector of the battlefield, strategically dispatch drones in the air. at sea and on the ground and you would have the First Person Shooter experts to control the individual drones.

The cost naturally for this command & Conquer Platinum version is astronomical

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So your saying you'd recruit a kid to fight a war? Just because people play games that are based on killing others doesn't mean they'd be able to kill in real life...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I guess most of them wouldn't last a day when dropped in Fallujah, but it's truly amazing what my scrawny little nephew can do from behind a computer screen, would need ABSOLUTE fully digitised (no gaps) battlefield picture to make this succesfull though. For ethical reasond, you would want to wait until those kids are 17, but no longer, cause females will distract them
and they lose some of their finest simulator skills

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Still some people can't kill, they would snap, even if they were controlling some drone out there, I personally would shoot the wound [legs, amrs etc...].

If gamers want to become soldiers, let them do it by themselves...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In the early days, every kid grew up throwing a baseball, and so the grenade was desgined accordingly. Now, every kid grows up playing videogames, and thus the weapons systems on new military vehicles are designed accordingly

All that tech is cool, but right now the military needs more funding to give the troops better armor, and also to keep the F-22 and Osprey programs going.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
In the early days, every kid grew up throwing a baseball, and so the grenade was desgined accordingly. Now, every kid grows up playing videogames, and thus the weapons systems on new military vehicles are designed accordingly

Very true they created a test version of a M1A2 with a 360 degree screen in the turret to have better vision of whats going on around the tank. The older men had trouble getting use to the new system. But the younger kids the "Nintendo Generation" Performed much better with this type of tech.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Relying on the battlenet to fight wars is a stupid idea. In any kind of war both sides battlenet, communications, and control will be torn apart by the other's EW. In OIF there were many instances of JSTARS failing, since commanders were relying on this, they simply did not know what to do.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The old systems were simply unreliable. It had nothing to do with the enemy. America has remained well above the competition in this area for some time. We've been good at countering jamming and doing it ourselves, plus we've been more integrated than other armies.

Intelligence and mobility are the key to war, and FCS will give America incredible advantages in both areas.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
But an EMP blast over a possible base could fry every chip in their electronics, leaving the equitment up for grabs...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Although the tech and capabilites of the FCS are neat to see and provide great capabilities, I also feel they are a great weekness. With the failer rate, and because of haveing to count on haveing them.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

But an EMP blast over a possible base could fry every chip in their electronics, leaving the equitment up for grabs...

This is an unlikely threat. You can protect equipment from an EMP blast. Honestly, do people underestimate the people making these weapons that much? They know what they're doing. They make it thinking about every threat possible, now and in the future.

An EMP weapon won't be a threat for a long time, anyway. It would seem America would be the first to have this technology, as well.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The U.S. does have an EMP device. So it is hard to say if any one else does. And I think all the people creating the weapon systems are concerned about is how much proffit they can make on it.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Still, if a country like China or North Korea got an EMP, most military forces would reinforce their electircs so it couldn't be fried...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

The U.S. does have an EMP device. So it is hard to say if any one else does. And I think all the people creating the weapon systems are concerned about is how much proffit they can make on it.

They're always in competition, which assures they put out the best products possible for the military. If the military doesn't feel its requirements are met, they'll simply cancel, and its the company that loses, not them. They've invested huge amounts of cash into these programs.

Plus, many of the engineers still just like what they do. They design these things to be the best because they take pride in it.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I belive its the Gov that flips the bill for desighning and creating the weapon systems. But because of that all the Corp. has to do is make the bill as large as possible. Hence the $700 ash tray, $2000 coffee pot, ect.... I do feel the enginers will make things as good as possible, but some where past the enginer some one is only looking at how much they can push the bill up.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
EMP weapons are harder to make then nukes. You're better off just frying them with a real nuke anyway.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I belive its the Gov that flips the bill for desighning and creating the weapon systems. But because of that all the Corp. has to do is make the bill as large as possible. Hence the $700 ash tray, $2000 coffee pot, ect.... I do feel the enginers will make things as good as possible, but some where past the enginer some one is only looking at how much they can push the bill up.

The government only buys the units once they're in production. The company has to pay it up till then. It's an investment by the company. They'll make more back by selling the product to the military for the next few decades.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
I doubt any hacker is breaking into a system devised by the Pentagon.

lol, braking into the pentagons computer systems is unbelievably easy, and getting access to there phone systems with the legendary Crunch wistle can be done in seconds by a ten year old. No system is completely secure, yet.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

lol, braking into the pentagons computer systems is unbelievably easy, and getting access to there phone systems with the legendary Crunch wistle can be done in seconds by a ten year old. No system is completely secure, yet.

I think we'd see a lot more cases if this were the truth...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join