It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Rumsfeld goes, who would be better?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
so easily it wouldn't be funny.... Storming Norman Schwartzkopf. No better choice other than Powell.

Conveniently Powell is available for the job, and my vote would go to him. He has plenty of experience in the DoD, and would put a great face on the military for the USA. The American people really like Powell, and I think much of the world respects him highly and this could (and I say could) be seen as a nod to the international community.

As for Stormin Norman, I guess he would do a good job as well, but he really hasn't shown himself to be political really. Some TV appearances during Iraqi Freedom, but nothing too public beyond that. I don't think he is looking for that job, his reputation is a good one right now, and getting involved with this war, with this administration, isn't going to do anything but muddy that up.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Rummy should have been fired long ago.

1. The armor issue is just in the public right now but has been going on since day one.
2. Refusing to listen to those who think of war their entire adult lives
like General Shinseki who knew more troops would be needed.

As far as replacements, anyone with combat experience should be mandatory for this position. If anyone in this administration ( Rice, Wolfowitz, Rummy, President Bush ) had any then I doubt they would be so condiscending and callous about it. I agree with Afganistan but Iraq was a choice.

1. Colin Powell (Powell Doctrine)
2. John McCain ( Vietnam P.O.W.)
3. Chuck Hagel ( Vietnam Vet )

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Rumsfeld is a good Secretary of Defense. I like him and I don't think he's going anywhere soon. It would be a dangerous thing to switch Secretaries at this stage of the game without sound reasons and there aren't any.

If you think Rummy is bad, you should read up on that spineless scoundrel Robert McNamara.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Grady;

I read alot about McNamara. He was definately a pinhead. War of attrition and body counts, not to mention selective targets and so on.

The thing is, we cannot allow ourselves to be pidgeon holed by thinking we should not replace someone in the middle of a conflict even if they prove to be incompetent. I just think that there should be only combat veterans in charge of military operations. They would know what a terror it is and not be dismissive of basic logistics concerns.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat
The thing is, we cannot allow ourselves to be pidgeon holed by thinking we should not replace someone in the middle of a conflict even if they prove to be incompetent.

I don't think he's incompetent. I think he's flying by the seat of his pants. The book hasn't been written for this kind of war, yet, although, I am proud to say that the Marine Corps has been preparing for the three-block war for more than a decade.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Grady;

At least the Marines saw this kind of war in advance. If Rummy is stuck in a learning curve would it not make sense to ask questions. I hear this is one of his failings, that being the inability to to bring himself to admitting mistakes or asking for help..

One of the problems is that 4-G warfare has been expected since Somalia. Surely lessons learned by some far thinking vets from Vietnam have been put to use, but to isolate that knowledge serves no purpose.

While I understand the Constitution and believe that there should be a civilian in charge of the military, and that the military answers to that person I have to ask where the Joint Chiefs of Staff are and why are they not more vocal. As a Vietnam veteran I am sure you have heard the term " the 5 silent men " in reference the the JCS during Vietnam and how MacNamara screwed the troops with his policies.

My personal opinion is that whatever branch of the Armed Services doing the majority of combat operations should be the Chairman of the JCS. General Meyers might be a good Air Force Officer, but there should be a Marine or Army JCS Chief.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The Earth will rumble with the sound of soldiers and sailors rolling in their graves if a Marine ever graces the nation as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It has not been so many years since the Marine Corps did not even have a permanent seat at the table.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Day after day, all I read is Rumsfled must go, he's a screw-up. Ok, experts, who would do a better Job. Be specifc and give reasons.

PS. "anyone else" won't fly either.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by DrHoracid]

I remember reading you past posts, and you think that a person's race gives them certain skills. Asians are smart, whites are good in the arts, and blacks are good at sports. So do you think an asian should replace Rumsfeid? Since they are the smartest? Or maybe a half-white/ half-asian, so they are a little more creative? I guess it couldn't be a black person, since sports is a necessary skill.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Day after day, all I read is Rumsfled must go, he's a screw-up. Ok, experts, who would do a better Job. Be specifc and give reasons.

I remember reading you past posts, and you think that a person's race gives them certain skills. Asians are smart, whites are good in the arts, and blacks are good at sports. So do you think an asian should replace Rumsfeid? Since they are the smartest? Or maybe a half-white/ half-asian, so they are a little more creative? I guess it couldn't be a black person, since sports is a necessary skill.

Certain races do have "tendencies" based on genetics so don't try to make me out some kind of racist. How about Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice or JC Watts. Rummy is similar to Patton......very smart, good at his job and says screw the media morons.

Grady, A jarhead would be great. PT Kelly?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Dr Horacid says:

"So if any cabinet member loses "respect" of congress or the news media he should resign?"

No, but that's usually what happens in the real world inside Interstate 495, especially if the people howling are of his own party.

"How spoiled we have become."

I agree. But what is your point?

"He was part of the defeat of afganistan, a country that handed the USSR it head even though they used everything they had including bio/chemical agents against them. Iraq/Saddam went down pretty fast also."

Dr. Horacid, I am not arguing that he is or was ineffective; i will leave the debates from others. But in this day and age, perception is what counts.

Actually, it's not just in "this day and age"; think of Caesar's second wife Pompeia.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Perception isn't reality. Killing terrorist is reality. After that marine was crucified in the media for shooting a "wounded" terrorist the media found new life. Now a set-up question and close editing of the answer has them on fire. Rummy supossedly defied "the-hill" by going against the so called intellegence bill.

The people that are calling for his head just don't get-it. This war is different than any war in history. More troops isn't the answer. Putting the troops in bomb proof everything is just silly.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The world likes Powell too, I think he has about a billion times more respect than Rummy. I vote for Powell.

Rummy is about as successfull at this job as my left a$$ cheek would be...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Adolf?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I vote for John McCain!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Dr. Horacid says:

"Perception isn't reality. Killing terrorist is reality."

I think you're talking about Baghdad; I am talking about Washington DC.

I have never been to Baghdad, and, inshallah, I never will. Five months in King Khalid Military City (KKMC) is as close as I have been and way closer than I ever will again.

But I have been following politics all of my adult life, which includes the time from being ages 18 to 34 in Washington DC. That is where the action is when it comes to brother Rumsfeld.

Again, I do not think Rummy is doing a bad job, but I would be willing to bet that he will no longer be SecDef in nine months.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
How about Alexander Haig? (is he still alive).

He seems hawkish enough to be welcomed by the neocons and has vast experience with illegal wars (Cambodia).

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join