It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life? Stop ON by and do tell your belief! (or Not)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The meaning of life is to be happy, it's that simple. And how? The Ol Baltimore Catechism had it nailed years ago.

"The purpose of life is to know God, love God and serve God, so that we can be happy in this life, and spend eternity with God in the next"

There ya have it, and it's working quite nicely for me also.

a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

simply put striving towards the light,evolution,ascension moving on up through the spheres, progress etc...
look to nature to see life's purpose from darkness to light

just an opinion mind

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The older I get, the more I believe that there is no meaning.

We are all just here. We are all just trying to survive and maintain.

I truly wish I could go back to the days when I believed life had more purpose.

*sighs*

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
What a nice and inviting way to start a thread in this usually crazy forum.
S and F.

I go through different 'phases' on what my meaning of life is. It is different for everyone.

The meaning of life can't be separated from ALL life, and the purpose of ALL life is to propagate itself.
I go through different 'phases' on what my meaning of life is. It is different for everyone.
One thing that stays consistent, is that I think Humans overcomplicate the premise.

Simple as that, the human experience has made life about death, fear of death, and crazy religions have sprung from this. We try to make it about emotions like 'to be happy', that is certainly a personal good reason to want to live, but emotions aren't Natures reason for existing. You can't tell a bird "you are alive to be happy' the same goes for humans. We are a little too egotistical methinks.

What if its all just physical math? a set of questions and answers, that I don't understand. Cause and Effect, Chaos and Order. Questions and answers can be considered Math. If I was to become metaphysical on the topic I can understand how people may think a deity or a Sublime IT was able to ask life creating question (math) "What am I?" via physical math (not applied math) and an answer was and is continuing to be given via all life.
Is the 'meaning' of life to be an 'answer'? Do we ask ourselves too often this question "what is the meaning of life" if in fact we are already the answer (life) to the question that was asked....why are we wasting our time asking questions if we are an answer?

Too crazy? Probably. And I'm not sure I believe something asked a question.

I have read something about multi verse, and there was something about our universe is "powering" another, or life exists here from leaking from another, I'll have to find it, it sparked some interest from me.

I am, I was, I will be.
In the meantime, I'll make it a good one whilst I'm in the "i am" part of my energy recycling phase

edit on 28-3-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Live as much as you can, learn as much as you should and love more than the world allows.

You take it with you, after all.

Other than that, I have no clue what this sh*t is all about.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There is no meaning to life in and of itself -- it is just an endless replication of patterns of cause and effect, that we all partake in. We can try to make things seem meaningful, but in the end we all die as do our loved ones. So its not a great "plan" if it were actually being created for the sake of living the "dream".

Such questions imply some intelligent power created life, but that is a myth based on one's need for a sense of security from an all-powerful parent. It is as much a myth as our presumption that we are somehow independent individual entities - when it is obvious that we are completely dependent on what is external to the body.

We give life meaning when we embrace this understanding that we appear in a vast field of relatedness, and fully live with the recognition that we are inherently happy when we truly surrender to this infinite unqualified relatedness that completely engulfs us.

On that basis we can understand our actual reality here rather than presuming we are somehow independent entities in the midst of all this relatedness, needing to find some kind of meaning.

I think a better question, that others here have also asked, is: What is the purpose of life? To understand and transcend this presumption of independence, to see that we actually exist in a vast field of relatedness, and to fully live on the basis of this undeniable fact. Then we are in a position to actually discover real meaning in our life because it is based on our actual reality here.

edit on 3/28/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Survival. Survival is pleasure. Eating is pleasure. Sleeping is pleasure. Love is pleasure. Sex is pleasure. Security is pleasure. Family is Survival. Taking pleasure in anything else in existence is also pleasure. Everything else is avoided. Meaning of life: pleasure of Survival.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You give your life meaning. You have the power to make your own destiny. Most lose sight or lack the drive to follow through. They were told what to do and how to think. Think outside the box and create a wonderful life for yourself without outside influences.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I'd say the "meaning" of life is whatever each individual chooses for himself. The "purpose" of life is to process and pass on information.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesearchfortruth
a reply to: TheUsersName

That's a really good point.

I've had a similar thought concerning suffering and pain. If there wasn't any, and people were perfectly happy all the time, they wouldn't know what happiness was. Just like without darkness there can be no light for example. We need bad things so that we can appreciate the good things.

How very Zen.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Don't ya know - it's Day-Glo.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
To accept God, submit to Him, and then improve your standing with Him through your words & actions.

Personally, it's the above plus to learn the truth about the world, while enjoying the large & small miracles of life... like trying new & "exotic" fruit, seeing spectacular landscapes, and admiring different cultures (and their women
)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In a philosophical sense, life has no meaning other that what we give it.

It's like asking what is our purpose in life, it presupposes we have a purpose, or in this case that there is a meaning.

Ultimately though our I do think our purpose/meaning/point is to reproduce, pass on our genes and ensure that our species survives.

Rage against the darkness!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I appreciate all the replies and I would love to answer all of you, but I am not having a good day with my human condition physically. Take a good look at my signature and that sums up quite a bit how I feel. For those of you that struggle with this and have trouble enjoying life, it is not about being happy...it is about having purpose and balance between your human condition and your spiritual being. All human emotions are experienced by the soul. The difference between the two is the soul does not let emotions control and humans do.

The purpose and meaning are one in the same, however, this changes for humans based on their emotional situations day to day.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

You are not wicked at all! Thanks for your reply.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Shhhh tell no one. I can't let my reputation slip

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Experience, learn, grow, and Love!

Forget about all the modern complications, it's the basics that matter in the end.

That's me right now anyway!

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You are all fools. And that is what you want to be told. That is what I want to be told.

Our purpose is not to reproduce, it is not to be happy, it is not to be content.

There is no purpose. No natural purpose. Man must provide his own purpose. This is our great curse. We are cast out, naked, and we have to provide our own purpose.

This is what man has been trying to do for ten thousand years. Find a purpose, a meaning for himself. Yet there is no purpose, no meaning. Not yet. None to be found.

Ever since Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden they knew. They knew what they lacked. A purpose. And still man struggles to find a root, even a hint of true knowledge. Perhaps one day.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm an existential nihilist. I don't think there is any point to anything, so I'm just going to say fun. Hedonism all the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join