It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal emotions sometimes damaging reasoned debate...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

No. You support what you believe to be marriage equality. You have a very different idea of what a marriage is than I do. I just wish you would support a world where I had the latitude to practice my version as much as you practice yours.

Regardless, go march you parade and maybe we can all meet for a beer after.

edit on 28-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
If anyone wants to test that theory, try making a thread about research findings of high strength cannabis causing psychosis!

Best have a few flameproof umbrellas to hand.

Are you for or against those findings?

I could see it being either way. There is no doubt that the dedicated plant breeders have been working very hard to make their plants more powerful so that the weed of today isn't the weed of yesterday. What that means? I have no idea, but since we are legalizing it, we're all about to find out. I just wish we'd wait a while and let Colorado be the testing bed.

If nothing goes really wrong. OK. But it will take time before we know the full implications.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

My grandfathers....

Once in the bush is better than twice in the hand
I mean, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

He was a Salty old Marine.

edit on 28-3-2015 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I just posted the research, for which I am all for, the more information the better. It suggests it causes psychosis and as such, this information can be used proactively as prevention which is a good thing. Being informed is a good thing. Knowing the truth is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It's not so much emotions as it is pride - I get that way a lot, and I've been trying to change that and put the energy into something more constructive.

My example is that at work, we were having a debate as to how a certain piece of software works (I had prior experience working with it). Another person who has also used it made a statement saying that I knew was incorrect, and no-one appeared to be listening when I called them out on it; Left the "debate" with my blood turning to steam; Pride didn't want me to hear out his side of the story.

On the side note - it's probably a good thing I don't go to bars or drink; being a hothead is going to kill me one of these days.

There are members on here that I definitely don't get along with, but like I said, I'm trying to put aside the emotions so that at least I can be civil (plus, no one is supposed to know this, but if I think their argument is particularly valid, I give them a star, even if I'm against the idea).

-fossilera

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Emotional responses can be fine, can be passionate and add to conversation. However, then they cross over into the ad hominem attacks, such as the currently accepted "you're a shill!", is where it inhibits further productive conversation.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera
a reply to: grainofsand

On the side note - it's probably a good thing I don't go to bars or drink; being a hothead is going to kill me one of these days.

-fossilera

This is a terrific place to practise. Well done.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
In a general manner, I will tend to respond to the posts rather than the poster - which means I will disagree with one, agree and support another, even if they are written by the same person.

It has happened here, once, that repeated run-ins with the same person who repeatedly resorted to personal insults started to irritate me and caused me to notice his name on posts before I read them- and so didn't read them anymore.

I think part of the problem is that we don't have the person in front of us, and our idea of who we are talking with is only the written word - they ARE those words. If we don't like the words, we think we don't like the person; if they use a word that has an emotional charge for us, we feel that emotion is about the person.

In one discussion, which I have found very interesting and constructive for myself, the person had a habit of using language which would rub me the wrong way, and i had to be very vigilant against that irritation being transfered onto the person.

At one point I just said it frankly- These words used in reference to this subject have a negative effect on me, if I start to sound bitchy, please forgive me and know it is not directed towards you personally! Because obviously, if i was continuuing to engage in the discussion, it was because I value the interaction, and the other persons active part in it, we're just approaching concepts that might be touchy for me. (and that is a good thing, in my mind challenging my bias's and thought patterns is part of being a good sceptic!)

But I sometimes get the feeling that many are so focused on trying to hold a discussion, even an argument, without any emotion, like a robot, that if any emotions start to creep in, they don't want to admit that outloud.

I figure it is sometimes unavoidable, and they can be better mastered if you just own it, and are honest about it, to avoid them going into subversive occult mode -where they will be influencing what you say, but you are unaware of it, claiming you are purely rational, and in fact, you are not.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I had a brilliant Saturday night which explains my absent status, and I say thank you for all the brilliant replies while I've been 'away', lots of food for thought, would be a heck of a mission replying to y'all.
Cheers folks, looking forward to crossing text based swords with you in the future...with a smile.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join