It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Morning Chemicals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: eisegesis

Oh sorry, I thought this was an ignorant, fear filled rant about chemicals?

I mean why else would you have such negativity towards chemicals?

Did you just watch a youtube video about how dangerous chemicals are?

Maybe study chemistry a little bit to assist with your fears?

So if you had a choice of removing something from your diet or environment that had the potential to contribute to a short or long term health issue, you wouldn't do it simply based on the fact that we can never take all chemicals out of our environment?

And seriously, I typed a purposefully vague thread up on the habitual tendencies that people have in the morning. Why do you have to belittle me in thinking that I don't understand your point?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well op, I firmly understood your rant to be directed primarily at the "petro-chemical" industry and its petroleum derivatives which are clearly synthetic and not proper. Other poster(s) in this thread clearly knew as well, an simply attempted to take a cheap shot to make themselves feel better by trying to make you look ignorant. I don't feel that attempt worked out very well. Maybe AncientEgyptians did use lead in their make-up, and that is why none of them managed to stick around long enough to explain exactly how those pyramids were built?? Surely there is no reason lead is banned in paint and gasoline I suppose right??

In any case, I think that the rinse cycle of our washing machines does a decent job of removing most of the chemical residues, but the market for naturally source detergents grows every year for clothes and dishes. My family tries to use the good stuff. I am still looking for a natural hair product for the shower. As it stands now unless I used some kind of product in my hair (gel, spray, color for an event??) or got dirty from grease, or some other crap I do not even use shampoo or conditioner. Imagine my surprise to find out the human race has had healthy hair for thousands of years without having to lather in petro chemical and synthetic concoctions to clean it. I just rinse thoroughly with the water from the shower.

It would be nice to find a natural alternative for deodorant. Got any ideas??

here is a list of thing I would like to replace with naturally derived blends or even a natural substance/plant??

*deodorant
*shampoo
*mouthwash (is it true I can use hydrogen peroxide? My pops says he used to)
*gel (rarely ever use anyways, but sometimes I like to show off)
*air freshener (i like incense but the misses does not)

Now I am sorry, but I will not replace bleach for cleaning surfaces. Nothing on Earth can kill bacteria and/or viruses the way bleach can, so its one chemical I will be happy to keep with me. But if you have any other ideas for my list I would really love to hear them.
edit on 3/27/2015 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

"Why do you have to belittle me in thinking that I don't understand your point?"

It's all the sublingual fluoride..

He has lost the ability to think outside of prescribed boxes. Reads op and thinks you are a chemical hater.. Shallow thinking..

He also has a history of thinking he's smart.

I would wonder how many people understand what can be injested through steam in a hot shower. Gotta love chlorine. Yummy in my tummy. Chlorine is a GOOD chemical. So yummy so yummy.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Sorry for taking a stand against what I percieved as another anti science thread.

It's become a religion.

And thanks for taking notice of my "history", must lead a pretty boring life to take such an interest in me, what ever did you do with yourself while I was gone for those couple of years?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You forgot the colorings, artificial flavorings that make "food" oh so good, and the preservatives that keep the stuff from rotting. Also, whatever chemicals that might be in the tissue when you blow your nose (lotions, perfume, or whatever. Some toilet paper is perfumed, too).

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

And thanks for taking notice of my "history", must lead a pretty boring life to take such an interest in me, what ever did you do with yourself while I was gone for those couple of years?

of I have to admit that was a snippy and entertaining reply. Seriously though, dont be such a tightwad. This is a simple rant thread, we're here to express our angst with synthetic/petro chemicals and have fun talking about it.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I think its a little but presumptuous to say this is an anti science thread, its more like an anti-pollution thread if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Sorry for taking a stand against what I percieved as another anti science thread.

That's not something you should say unless you are sorry. Your perception is muddy.

Science says Chlorine and Chlorine by products are toxic, to deadly, depending on exposure levels.

For decades, researchers have studied the long-term effects of using chlorinated tap water. Most studies have shown that when people are exposed to chlorinated water over long periods of time, it slightly increases their risk of bladder cancer. Some studies have also found links to colorectal cancer, but we need more research to be sure of this link.

Several chlorination by-products are possible causes of cancer. Studies have shown that trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs), which are the most common chlorination by-products, can cause cancer in laboratory animals.

Many scientists believe that other chlorination by-products may also increase your risk of cancer.

Canadian Cancer Society

It's become a religion.

You added to a religion with what exactly? the religion that all things are chemicals and so all things are things? I didn't see any science.

Why are you interested in me and what I do for years? I was trained to notice a lot.

www.reuters.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Pool chlorine tied to lung damage in elite swimmers

Researchers from France and Canada compared lung tissue and breathing tests from twenty-three elite Canadian swimmers, whose average age was 21, to ten mild asthmatics and 10 healthy, non-allergic people of the same age. Tissue samples and tests were taken during the off-season when swimmers were not competing.

The team, led by Valérie Bougault at the Lille 2 University of Health and Law in France, found that tissue samples taken from swimmers' lungs had nearly six times as many immune cells associated with asthma and allergies as the lung tissue of healthy subjects -- a similar amount to what was found in the group with mild asthma.

Swimmers and asthmatics also showed evidence of scar tissue in the lungs, while healthy non-swimmers did not.

"This study is the first to show direct evidence of airway damage associated with swimming in chlorinated pools," Alfred Bernard, a toxicologist at the Catholic University of Louvain in Brussels, Belgium, noted in an email to Reuters Health. Bernard was not involved in the study.

mmmm BREATHE it IN.. Breathe it in I say!! Let the science work on your lungs.. Yummy yummy..

edit on 28-3-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I use henna(they offer more than just red hues these days for those interested) instead of bleach and peroxide hair dyes.

Homemade deodorants are also one of my favs.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
I use henna(they offer more than just red hues these days for those interested) instead of bleach and peroxide hair dyes.

My ex used to dye her hair.. how would one dye their hair a lighter color without dangerous chemicals? I understand henna as a natural safe dye that is quite strong, but anyway.. asking as to bring the thread forward.

Homemade deodorants.. I can't imagine this..
I have always wondered because deodorants and especially antiperspirants are very mean to my skin. I also defeat deodorant or antiperspirant within an hour or so sometimes haha..

Do explain.. I see no way of having something less toxic do as much damage to smell as a regular deodorant does. Maybe strong herbs or essential oils or something, but I don't want to smell hippy.

And in fact I do all the things the OP talks about on a daily basis. My shower is like my second reset button after sleep.. And all those chemicals make me feel so fresh and so clean clean.. Ahaha.. If there are alternatives I havn't found them to get that good American Clean chemical shower like I like it haha.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DYepes

I'm just ranting in kind.

It's nothing personal against the OP, just the way it presented ground my gears a bit..

I'm over it now, so I'll go and have me a chemical laden apple

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Did you know that EVERYTHING from nature is chemicals, water is chemical, you are full of chemicals, air you breathe is chemical. There are no "chemical-free" products. And most so called "chemicals" are derived from nature.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
And somehow, people are still freaking out about smoking.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I would like to know more about these homemade deodorants. Could you elaborate? I can grow anything pretty well so hopefully there are plants involved.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

My ex used to dye her hair.. how would one dye their hair a lighter color without dangerous chemicals? I understand henna as a natural safe dye that is quite strong, but anyway.. asking as to bring the thread forward.

Homemade deodorants.. I can't imagine this..
I have always wondered because deodorants and especially antiperspirants are very mean to my skin. I also defeat deodorant or antiperspirant within an hour or so sometimes haha..

Do explain.. I see no way of having something less toxic do as much damage to smell as a regular deodorant does. Maybe strong herbs or essential oils or something, but I don't want to smell hippy.

And in fact I do all the things the OP talks about on a daily basis. My shower is like my second reset button after sleep.. And all those chemicals make me feel so fresh and so clean clean.. Ahaha.. If there are alternatives I havn't found them to get that good American Clean chemical shower like I like it haha.

There's blonde henna(platinum maybe?), no experience with that color on a personal level, but a search yield that it works. Red henna lasts unlike red from average commercial brands. Maybe the blonde does too.

And reply to:

originally posted by: DYepes

I would like to know more about these homemade deodorants. Could you elaborate? I can grow anything pretty well so hopefully there are plants involved.

It's less toxic if you're worried about the aluminum and parabens added to the commercial brands in deodorants and anti antiperspirants,

Simple recipe

Ingredients: 6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state) 1/4 cup baking soda 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (arrowroot is preferred)

Directions:

Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder/cornstarch.
Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken.
You can either scoop this recipe into your old deodorant dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.

Source

Keep it in a cool, dry place. Unless it's summer you'd want to refrigerate.

Yeah, you can add your own scents to it in the mix(minus patchouli is you're worried about hippy smell lol)

And just like your name brand deodorant rinse it off after the day is over as it can clog pores more so than antiperspirants.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DYepes

Popping in to offer a BTDT word of warning.

Hippie/homemade deodorants don't work on us extra-smelly people, they fail miserably (and are horribly expensive) The salt rock deodorants are a complete rip-off to boot. If you're like me, and happen to be extra-smelly AND extra-sweaty, the hippie/homemade anti-antiperspirants are also exceptional flops. Just because it's "nachural" doesn't mean it actually works.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
well that seems simple enough, Im going to give it a go. Is it ironic to want to use a homemade natural deodorant after I already had my underarms lasered clean of hair? We live in the future after all...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join