It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Mining-an update.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Anyone remember the media covering the asteroid mining company a couple of years back?

The company,Planetary Resources,had some very wealthy investors and big ideas-

Among other Planetary Resources investors are Google billionaire Larry Page and Avatar film director James Cameron.
The company also includes Microsoft’s former Chief Software Architect Dr. Charles Simonyi and Perot Group Chairman Ross Perot Jr. among its backers.
The new venture plans to send robots into space to scout asteroids for precious metals and set up mines to bring the resources back to Earth. By 2015 the company intends to send several probes to asteroids. Its know-how will be used to harvest gold, platinum, rare earth metals, water and fuel in space

rt.com...

Sadly,in October,2014 the unmanned Antares rocket carrying a Planetary Rescources satellite to the ISS exploded soon after liftoff.
Luckily,no lives were lost on the ground:

But the Planetary Resources mission was set back big time.

So now for the Update-at the time of writing this thread,the next Antares Rocket with a Planetary Resources Sat on board is set to lauch in
10 days,23 hours.

Follow the countdown here:

www.planetaryresources.com...-asteroids

Lets hope this one is a success.
Thanks for looking folks.

edit on 27/3/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
They should give Elon Musk a call.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
No environmental or safety laws out there...easy pickins'
Desolate and inhospitable... just like Papua (OK Tedi, Grasberg etc), Australia (Kimberly's, kalgoorlie, Gt barrier reef) etc etc etc...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
No environmental or safety laws out there...easy pickins'
Desolate and inhospitable... just like Papua (OK Tedi, Grasberg etc), Australia (Kimberly's, kalgoorlie, Gt barrier reef) etc etc etc...
en.wikipedia.org...

Hopefully they don't bring a bacteria or something else back with them...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Hopefully they DO!

Are you kidding me!? Finding bacteria on an asteroid, actual organisms, as opposed to artefacts and tantalising hints of organic compounds, absent a complex arrangement into an organism, would be a MASSIVE discovery, even if it is made by accident!

Personally, I believe that renewable energy, and figuring out ways to recycle previously used resources, is a better idea for conservation reasons, than trying to strip mine the solar system. But I support space based industry ideas because it is a fact that once space becomes a money spinner, it will expand our activity out there, and make discoveries both intended, and accidental, more frequent. Discovery, the forging of new frontiers, these are the activities which nourish this species, and I cannot wait to see what comes of it all!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
They should give Elon Musk a call.

Yes they should, SpaceX might be booked though.

top topics

join