It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There are many who believe religion holds back scientific and moral progress, that it is a crutch that holds back humanity, and hinders our progress. To them they speak out against religion and for agnosticism and atheism in an attempt to deny ignorance and delusion and push society forward to a realm of logic, and rationale. It's not a matter of promoting nothing so much as promoting moving past religion and into a realm of logic, rationale and science.

I'm agnostic, I believe there are things we do not know, nor cannot and that I'm perfectly comfortable with saying I don't know. On the flip side, I think those who insist, they know for a fact the greatest mysteries of the universe and that anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded and wrong is the height of arrogance and I have no respect for such mentalities.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Could be a troll and run tactic to see who takes the bait? I think it worked

I think you may be right.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Wow.
At about the 15-min mark, when they explain that the 16-yr-old son told his parents he didn't believe ----- but was still living at home, his parents flipped out. "Quiet silence.... for six months.....tensions were high," said the son.

The parents say their communication had become shallow, "superficial" -
Mom recalled she was 'kinda shock'ed to hear him say it. "But it wasn't [shocking], in the sense that we knew he'd, he'd never come to Christ."
The dad said it was a "constant burden to their hearts" to live with the knowledge that their flesh-and-blood son was "pursuing a life of rebellion against God".

The dad even said (regarding their superficial and shallow home communication since his son's admission of disbelief):
"It's tempered and it's bittersweet, because the reality is: you know you're talking to a dead person."

Because
the reality is:
you know
you are talking
to
a
Dead
Person

A DEAD PERSON? Say WHAT????

Wow.
Just, wow.
Thanks for linking the vid, grim.

grim.
Insane.
edit on 3/27/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
When the interviewer expresses dismay (it breaks her heart) that they see "their son as dead" -

the dad says:

"Wull, wull.....It's not a matter of me seeing it that way....It's a matter of what scripture objectively declares!"

ORLY. OBKB.

edit on 3/27/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: OMG!!! THIS IS INFURIATING!

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why not all of them considering there origin is one and the same?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
Damn those atheists extremist! :p

Being agnostic myself, I would find it hard to push my "belief" on others.
What more to say then ;

There is no proof of God yet the lack of proof isn't proof in itself...

Exactly. How can we Agnostics preach what we believe, if we're not sure what we believe lol.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: maxzen2004

I challenge anyone to claim that they dont place there faith or offer up a little prayer to some form of deity before departing on any associated plane journey, even if its only to the machine god that is the aircraft. Especially so these days.

Nope. Don't do that! Pointless!
Atheists tend not to fear death as believers do! maybe because they know that the end is the end!

How do "they know" such a thing!?!

How can you claim such as the above and say it's not a belief system?

Hypo...
Crisy...
Because they not blind minded (stupid)!

When you don't believe in any religion and death is the end thus nothing then there is nothing to believe in thus no belief system exists, only nothing!!!

So their belief is that nothing awaits...

How is your argument designed to convince people it's not a belief system!?!

Who's "stupid"!?!

Atheist means one thing and one thing only: LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD/DEITY.

That's it. That is the only meaning of atheist.

There is nothing that says an atheist can't have a belief ---- as long as that belief does not include a God.

Each individual atheist has their own philosophy. There is no single thought "dogma".

And as I mentioned earlier...

Gnostic Atheists believe there is no God...

Which is a belief system...

I don't know what you said has to do with what I replied to, to be honest, no offence.
The guy clearly said "they know there is nothing after death"...

No one knows such, and anyone who does say that has a belief system...

Urgo, hypocrisy of denying Atheists have a belief system.

No one mentioned a creator...

Just beliefs!

edit on 27-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I completely understand. I'm tired of all these atheists knocking on my door and shoving a copy of 'The God Delusion' into my hands /s.

TBH I don't know where I stand-the way I see it there is a governing body that dictates how our universe works but I wouldn't call it a god or an entity, perhaps the universe itself is an entity. However you don't see my apostles door knocking and giving away my book 'A treatise on super duper Metaphysics and general awesomeness' because you can't enforce beliefs and that applies atheists as well.

Once your mind is made up all you can do is argue till you are blue in the face-I know I have.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Annee

More like agnostics are on fence watching the two sides eat each other alive. I don't wanna argue with either side atheist or theist but I see the same arrogance and hypocrisy in both

lol, I've always thought of us agnostics as fence sitters

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

"A" is Greek for "Not" or "Without"...

"Theist" comes from he Greek "Theos" which is "God"...

So Atheist means "Without God" or "Not with God"...

Took a bit of digging but I knew there was a reason for it.

Not trying to be contrary Gryphon, love ya, just know you enjoy knowledge.

edit on 27-3-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I always hated the term fence sitters as it implies indecisiveness and a lack of conviction on our parts.

I'm firmly a "militant" agnostic, I strongly believe that I don't know and others don't either despite all claims they may make to the contrary. Also my lack in belief in knowing the ultimate truth does not mean I give credence to every claim that does claim knowledge of the truth. I may be agnostic, but when it comes to the specific concepts of god like the christian one for example, I could be considered very firmly atheistic. I'm certainly not sitting on the fence there.

I may not know the ultimate truths of the universe, I don't believe anyone does, but I also don't give every crazy theory the benefit of the doubt as a result either. Admitting one does not know the ultimate truth, does not require one to accept every crazy idea someone spouts as plausible.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

And equally...they would tell you you're the idiot for believing in fairy tale books. It goes both ways...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I'm sorry you find that term offensive, it was not meant to be. I was just surprised to see someone else with my point of view.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I challenge anyone to claim that they dont place there faith or offer up a little prayer to some form of deity before departing on any associated plane journey, even if its only to the machine god that is the aircraft. Especially so these days.

Atheists tend not to fear death as believers do! maybe because they know that the end is the end!

Hypo...
Crisy...

When you don't believe in any religion and death is the end thus nothing then there is nothing to believe in thus no belief system exists, only nothing!!!

Who's "stupid"!?!

There is nothing that says an atheist can't have a belief ---- as long as that belief does not include a God.

Each individual atheist has their own philosophy. There is no single thought "dogma".

I don't know what you said has to do with what I replied to, to be honest, no offence.

Just beliefs!

In the loosest fashion you may be correct, but if you are then that carries some repercussions for those that have chosen a religion.

I lack faith/belief in deities, but I don't think nor claim to know if I am correct.

That itself is not a belief system however, I do claim/believe that the deities/gods described by different faiths both current and dead across the world do not exist.

That could be considered a belief system and if that is a belief system then it would also apply to those of a chosen faith that deny or do not believe in the multitudes of described deities of other faiths.

If the idea that people of one religion have separate beliefs for those aspects seem silly in any way then that will also be the case for agnostic atheism.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you do not hold a belief that any gods exist then you are an agnostic atheist.
Atheist does not mean "I believe no gods exist" it means "I do not believe that gods exist" a massive difference.

I myself have no way of knowing if gods exist right now so that makes me agnostic. I have seen nothing in my life to draw me towards believing in any gods so I do not believe in any. That makes me atheist.
I do not believe there are no gods for the obvious reason that I have no way to confirm this, and how would we prove that mystical woo woo negative anyway?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yeah, stating your child is dead because a book says so is definitely a very strange belief system.

It is like their brains short-circuited.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I know it wasn't meant to be, just felt it necessary to point out that being agnostic does not necessitate sitting on a fence. It can be just as strong a point of view as being a believer or disbeliever.

There's really two kinds of agnostics, those who really are fence sitters, they neither know nor care. They really are just lazy and without conviction.

Then there are those who feel strongly that not only do they not know, but neither do others, and that large groups of people making important decisions for everyone else based on things they cannot possibly know is a very dangerous state for us to be in. Claiming a fact about that which is unknowable and then trying to enforce this perceived reality on others can only do harm to discovering real truth and advancing as a species, not to mention promote ignorance and arrogance.

You can guess which group I'm in

edit on 3/27/2015 by Puppylove because: Grammar and Spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I believe that a creator exists, I just don't subscribe to any earthly interpretations of one.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Hypo...
Crisy...

Who's "stupid"!?!

Just beliefs!

Atheist is a noun. It has one meaning: lack of a belief in a God. That's it. It does not mean anything else.

Gnostic is an adjective. By adding a descriptive/adjective ---- you are addressing the descriptive/adjective. You are not changing the meaning of atheist.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So you believe that a creator exists, (note belief) yet claim to be agnostic?
How do you rationalise that if I may ask?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join