It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Could be a troll and run tactic to see who takes the bait? I think it worked

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: MrPlow

originally posted by: maxzen2004
I recently watched the CNN special on Atheists and I understand and respect their belief. But to stand in an airport and preach not to believe anything is weird. Are these people mentally ill? A former Pastor became a non-believer and lost everything, ok the point? I think Satanist use the Atheist veil to hide their real agenda.

If one of these bozos come up to me, I will tell them they are idiots.

What do agnostics have to do with this?
Do you know what agnosticism means?

In this context agnostics are by definition atheists.

The true meaning of Agnostic is: "God can not be proven or disproven".

Technically everyone is Agnostic ---- theist or atheist only determines which way you lean.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

We are only 4 pages deep, possibly the Op is otherwise engaged at the moment?

Lets give the dude the benefit of the doubt before assuming the worst.

edit on 27-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Since when is an OP needed for us to proffer our honeyed dollops of wisdom?

LOL.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm agnostic and I believe that people should believe what they want OP.

I would however ask that they don't try to make me listen to their beliefs if their objective is to convert me.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Atheists lack belief or faith in gods, they do not posses belief.

I know you, and those who say this, don't mean it to be a slam against atheists. So don't take my comment to be a slam at you or others ...

When I see folks say that atheists 'lack' something, it doesn't sit right with me. It's a negative word, like the atheist is missing something that others have. Like they aren't up to standards or normal or something.

I know it's not meant that way by most people, but that's the impression I get with the 'lack' word. I prefer to say that Atheists have made an educated choice not to believe in a deity. I know, it's picky, but to me that's more accurate and a better way of putting it.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

More like agnostics are on fence watching the two sides eat each other alive. I don't wanna argue with either side atheist or theist but I see the same arrogance and hypocrisy in both
edit on 27-3-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: MrPlow

originally posted by: maxzen2004
I recently watched the CNN special on Atheists and I understand and respect their belief. But to stand in an airport and preach not to believe anything is weird. Are these people mentally ill? A former Pastor became a non-believer and lost everything, ok the point? I think Satanist use the Atheist veil to hide their real agenda.

What do agnostics have to do with this?
Do you know what agnosticism means?

In this context agnostics are by definition atheists.

The true meaning of Agnostic is: "God can not be proven or disproven".

Technically everyone is Agnostic ---- theist or atheist only determines which way you lean.

Well there are people that think they know one way or another, making them gnostic no?

And as I mentioned, context is key.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004

1. I'm glad some others already explained to you what an Agnostic is so your title of the thread is misleading as they are neutral in regards to the believe in God.

2. There are many types of Bozos in the world. Two that come to mind are: the ones that Believe that God exists will all certainty and the others type is the one that believes with all certainty that A God doesn't exist.

Anyone who claims to know for certain either way is lying to themselves .

Both Atheist and Believers base their believe in a JUMP of faith , which is a nice word used to explain something that you have no factual proof for but you are going with your gut feeling on.

edit on 15331America/ChicagoFri, 27 Mar 2015 11:15:30 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: andy06shake

I challenge anyone to claim that they dont place there faith or offer up a little prayer to some form of deity before departing on any associated plane journey, even if its only to the machine god that is the aircraft. Especially so these days.

Nope. Don't do that! Pointless!
Atheists tend not to fear death as believers do! maybe because they know that the end is the end!

How do "they know" such a thing!?!

How can you claim such as the above and say it's not a belief system?

Hypo...
Crisy...
Because they not blind minded (stupid)!

When you don't believe in any religion and death is the end thus nothing then there is nothing to believe in thus no belief system exists, only nothing!!!

So their belief is that nothing awaits...

How is your argument designed to convince people it's not a belief system!?!

Who's "stupid"!?!

Atheist means one thing and one thing only: LACK OF BELIEF IN A GOD/DEITY.

That's it. That is the only meaning of atheist.

There is nothing that says an atheist can't have a belief ---- as long as that belief does not include a God.

Each individual atheist has their own philosophy. There is no single thought "dogma".

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

You know though, conversely, the "lack of belief" explanation is probably fairly accurate (basing on my own experience.)

I grew up religious, I expanded into different religions and philosophical systems, continued experience started paring down my "beliefs" one by one until the day came when I simply realized I didn't have any belief "left" in any of the various god explanations.

So, in a way, at least for me, the experience of atheism is indeed an experience of "I am emptied of belief in gods."

FWIW

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I have been an atheist for about 20 years now. I have NEVER seen any atheist "preaching" in any airport or anywhere else. And I live in Los Angeles. I'll say it here as I've said it for years... religious people are mentally ill. The reason I believe this is because religious people believe that something exists without any proof whatsoever. What else would you call that??? The internal dialog that religious people use for religious belief is due to religious programming. We atheists are not programmed. We atheists require proof for anything that we believe to be true, whatever it may be. This is the difference between us. And for the ignorant "satan" thing... we don't believe in satan.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Atheists lack belief or faith in gods, they do not posses belief.

I know you, and those who say this, don't mean it to be a slam against atheists. So don't take my comment to be a slam at you or others ...

When I see folks say that atheists 'lack' something, it doesn't sit right with me. It's a negative word, like the atheist is missing something that others have. Like they aren't up to standards or normal or something.

I know it's not meant that way by most people, but that's the impression I get with the 'lack' word. I prefer to say that Atheists have made an educated choice not to believe in a deity. I know, it's picky, but to me that's more accurate and a better way of putting it.

It's just the state of being without, there are a great many things we are all grateful that we are without.

I wouldn't see it as a negative in this context.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

I believe that no one should try and force their beliefs on anyone else.

But, when the religious enter politics --- that is exactly what they do.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

If every atheist has their own philosophy why don't they just call themselves a philosopher or a human? Why do they cling to the word/label?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
Interesting thought. Those who left religion could have a 'lack of belief' because something was once there. OR .. they gained something else that filled in the hole left by the excavation of the religion out of their lives? Either way, I suppose. Even though I believe in God, I don't see Atheists as 'lacking'. I guess it's a matter of which words a person is comfortable using.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I wouldn't see it as a negative in this context.

I know. And I'm sure you don't mean it negative.
It sits better with me not saying that they lack something.
It's just me. For some reason I notice that 'lack' word ....
But it's all good.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

So, in a way, at least for me, the experience of atheism is indeed an experience of "I am emptied of belief in gods."

FWIW

Me too.

I was about 65 when I completely stepped out of the "God circle". Best thing I ever did.

Can't say I didn't give God belief plenty of time to take hold.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
What ever faith you question it always makes the believers angry. So some part of them knows something isn't right or true and they go in denial mode. The parents shunning their son that is not very Christ like.

all great truths begin as blasphemies. George Bernard Shaw

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Gryphon66
Interesting thought. Those who left religion could have a 'lack of belief' because something was once there. OR .. they gained something else that filled in the hole left by the excavation of the religion out of their lives? Either way, I suppose. Even though I believe in God, I don't see Atheists as 'lacking'. I guess it's a matter of which words a person is comfortable using.

You're absolutely right. It's the need to have generic ways to refer to everything in our light-speed-paced society these days.

You're right, I don't *feel* like something is "missing" or "lacking" though ... there's no "hole" that needs to be filled with something ... indeed, for me, that realization that "there are no gods" was mind-blowingly freeing for me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on the subject; how very refreshing! I look forward to where a productive conversation will end up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join