It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

And i'm glad you finally see what i'm trying to say.

What's that? That religions criticize, or bash, other religions too, and that atheists' criticisms are redundant? No matter, they all have the same goal, to convert, or save an individual from a false god.

An atheist can have the same amount of empathy and passionate desire to save the world from a perceived injustice, as any religious person.

edit on 2-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

this would be a more sane world.

How so? Psychiatry has replaced the confessor/confessee with a listener who peddles a mental straitjacket tablet and has the power of incarceration. A state sanctioned power no modern priest is able to even question. How many afflictions does the DSM V now contain - 1000's. More than all the names of demons ever delineated by Christianity as an example.

As a spiritual deist I would rather trust a priest than a psychiatrist who normalizes pedophilia as a "disorder"

www.psychologytoday.com...

has instead created a mostly closed shop- circling the wagons and deaf to the repeated and widespread warnings that it would lead to massive misdiagnosis. Fortunately, some of its most egregiously risky and unsupportable proposals were eventually dropped under great external pressure (most notably 'psychosis risk', mixed anxiety/depression, internet and sex addiction, rape as a mental disorder, 'hebephilia', cumbersome personality ratings,

The motives of the people working on DSM 5 have often been questioned. They have been accused of having a financial conflict of interest because some have (minimal) drug company ties and also because so many of the DSM 5 changes will enhance Pharma profits by adding to our already existing societal overdose of carelessly prescribed psychiatric medicine. But I know the people working on DSM 5 and know this charge to be both unfair and untrue. Indeed, they have made some very bad decisions, but they did so with pure hearts and not because they wanted to help the drug companies. Their's is an intellectual, not financial, conflict of interest that results from the natural tendency of highly specialized experts to over value their pet ideas, to want to expand their own areas of research interest, and to be oblivious to the distortions that occur in translating DSM 5 to real life clinical practice (particularly in primary care where 80% of psychiatric drugs are prescribed).

The APA's deep dependence on the publishing profits generated by the DSM 5 business enterprise creates a far less pure motivation. There is an inherent and influential conflict of interest between the DSM 5 public trust and DSM 5 as a best seller. When its deadlines were consistently missed due to poor planning and disorganized implementation, APA chose quietly to cancel the DSM 5 field testing step that was meant to provide it with a badly needed opportunity for quality control.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

stopped believing in mythical gods

It seems that studies suggest that belief in deities lead to a more well balanced society

www.economist.com...

Ms Miller was part of a research team which recently reported some striking findings in the Journal of the American Medical Association. While being careful not to speculate about causal links, it found a correlation between having a thick cortex in certain parts of the brain and declared religiosity; and it suggested that this pair of attributes might also be associated with resilience to depression, even among those with a family history of that problem. Similarly thought-provoking research may soon be emerging in a new journal, "Spirituality in Clinical Practice" launched by the American Psychological Association.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Also, I've come to think of humanity as a horrible infection on the skin of the living planet.

Self loathing non-human? I tend to think of us as good and bad intestinal flora, we're all interdependent with the earth.

So Prince Philip the eugenicist is your hero?

In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation.

Prince Philip, in his Foreward to If I Were an Animal; United Kingdom, Robin Clark Ltd., 1986.

I just wonder what it would be like to be reincarnated in an animal whose species had been so reduced in numbers than it was in danger of extinction. What would be its feelings toward the human species whose population explosion had denied it somewhere to exist.... I must confess that I am tempted to ask for reincarnation as a particularly deadly virus

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yep. I really DON'T need to know what's going on inside my intestines to pursue happiness and enlightenment in life,

Yes you do need to know..LOL

www.scientificamerican.com...

The digestive tract and the brain are crucially linked, according to mounting evidence showing that diet and gut bacteria are able to influence our behavior, thoughts and mood. Now researchers have found evidence of bacterial translocation, or “leaky gut,” among people with depression.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

It seems that studies suggest that belief in deities lead to a more well balanced society

www.economist.com...

From a study of 103 people?

It's quite the opposite in fact. Religious belief and social dysfunction correlate strongly across the entire western world. The more belief, the less social health.

www.epjournal.net...

As to psychiatric health and belief. It has long been thought that belief in god correlates well to psychological health. There are further studies that suggest it isn't the what is believed in that makes a difference (looks at previous studies suggest methods biased to religious believers, though probably inadvertently). It's seems to be the strength of the belief itself that is important. Those with more certainty of god are similar to those certain about their atheism. When devout believers and atheists are compared, they seen the same. It's those in the middle that are less sure or undecided that seemed to suffer with more mental health issues.

edit on 3-4-2015 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why do you care what people call themselves?

You keep trying to correct the way that folks are expressing themselves here. Why?

Whats in a label or the definition of a word? Control the definition and you have their minds. Christians are under the spell of a syncretistic beleif system, owing allegiance to a lofty jealous mountain god called jehovah. Its there in black and white how the Romans created christianity as the ultimate method of control. Christians cant help but share their "salvation" or thought control. Its quite simple, it called "sin" and its always at the back of their minds.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

How is it then that "souls" and an afterlife came into being from a random explosion of matter that just happened to give birth to the human species?

The purpose of life is to enjoy life and propagate life, the universe in dance. No abrahamic god or devil need apply for inclusion. A soul would the perfect way of experiencing the beauty of the universe. There is randomness and order in the Universe, both are necessary.

Just because I dont understand how the discredited big bang and you explaining it as a "random explosion of matter" can be put in the same sentence doesnt mean I need and earthbound hebrew "mountain god" in my line of sight.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yep. I really DON'T need to know what's going on inside my intestines to pursue happiness and enlightenment in life,

Yes you do need to know..LOL

www.scientificamerican.com...

The digestive tract and the brain are crucially linked, according to mounting evidence showing that diet and gut bacteria are able to influence our behavior, thoughts and mood. Now researchers have found evidence of bacterial translocation, or “leaky gut,” among people with depression.

LOL

Like I said, what comes out is "too much information". Thank goodness for people like you and my daughter, who follow their passions into unfamiliar and uncharted territory!
edit on 3-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Thank goodness for people like you and my daughter, who follow their passions into unfamiliar and uncharted territory!

Is it the trickster in me or "The Trickster" I follow into uncharted waters. Maybe I'll discover that the world isn't round but that we (or I experientially) live inside The Truman Show. Get me off this planet.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

It's seems to be the strength of the belief itself that is important. Those with more certainty of god are similar to those certain about their atheism.

I'm fine with that. Atheists are welcome to share my world. I have little time for rigid fundamentalists whether they be fundie christians preaching hate on the "other" or psychiatrists medicating/mentally incarcerating anyone who doesn't follow the "State" ideology.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I never really did understand the need for atheists to push their 'belief' in the non-existence of god/gods.

Similarly I never understood the need for religious folk to push their faith as fact, but it happens all the time. Some folks have strong convictions. Much like the religious guy thinks he is "saving" the evil heathens from hell, the atheist believes that religion is destructive, and that indoctrination of impressionable young children is wrong. Most atheists aren't that extreme, as to actively preach that god doesn't exist, but I have no problem with it at all. If there are religious folks out there saying that the end is near and preaching against science dishonestly, then there should be atheists out there to balance them out. Both sides think they are doing the right thing but it only makes the tension stronger.

I feel that these type of atheists would not even exist, if not for religious people trying to interfere in politics and education as well as advertising on billboards and promoting religiosity in every possible nook and cranny (including all over the media), as well as attacking atheists by comparing them to devil worshipers and the likes.
edit on 14-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: maxzen2004

I challenge anyone to claim that they dont place there faith or offer up a little prayer to some form of deity before departing on any associated plane journey, even if its only to the machine god that is the aircraft. Especially so these days.

Never. Planes are one of the safest (if not still THE safest) methods of transportation. Assuming otherwise is paranoia. You'd be better off praying before driving in your car as you are far more likely to be involved in an accident or fatality.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sorry for the additional response, but thinking about this topic gave me a chuckle. I'm an agnostic, but why is nobody out there screaming for our position, the only LOGICAL position?

Wouldn't it be funny to imagine standing in a crowded airport or city block screaming, "We don't know the answer!!!!!!!!! Blind belief is illogical!!!!", holding big signs that say, "I don't know, and I'm perfectly content not knowing".

Maybe I actually will, the world could use some education on agnosticism instead of polarizing theists and atheists. It would be entertaining and also teach folks the logic behind being patient and waiting for actual evidence to emerge before basing your life on a guess.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
It would be entertaining and also teach folks the logic behind being patient and waiting for actual evidence to emerge before basing your life on a guess.

Seems self rightous agnostics are just as obnoxious as the rest. Kidding, sort of.

Logically speaking, atheists are not really basing their life on a guess, on the other hand, if there is a god and some ritual had to be performed to receive forgiveness then agnostics are no better off then the atheists.

If you die and the evidence never comes, what did all the waiting get you?

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yes, you are correct. Atheism is the logical default, since there is no objective evidence for any god or creator. Agnostics are technically atheists since they do indeed reject/deny the validity of current versions of god. A large amount of atheists actually fit into the category of agnostic atheist, since they would be willing to be convinced by evidence. The hard core extreme atheists that wouldn't accept god no matter how staggering the evidence are pretty rare.

As far as waiting goes, it's not like they are going outside and looking into the sky each day hoping for a sign. They just accept the fact that nobody on earth actually KNOWS the answer to that question. For me personally, I'm content not knowing whether there is a god or there is not. I'm just not going to let an unknown answer to a hypothetical question affect my life in the slightest. It's a non factor to me. I prefer the tangible and verifiable things like science, which I am frequently defending on here from fringe creationist attacks.
edit on 15-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I remember seeing JW and other religious folks propagate their ideas on airports, downtown, door to door in neighborhood, but i have NEVER seen an atheist propagate disbelief the same way.

In my opinion, it might happen with someone who lost faith and continues to do what he learned before, but from all atheists I know, NONE ever would consider start 'preaching' disbelief.

All of them will educate you if you show interest, tell you why they can't believe, but none would propagate atheism or anything like that.

So, whole topic seems kind of 'off' good ground. Just does not make any sense...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It's a non factor to me.

I understand but not caring isn't really waiting.

I prefer the tangible and verifiable things like science, which I am frequently defending on here from fringe creationist attacks.

I agree, when speaking objectively but, I also don't have a problem if someone bases their life on a subjective experience. This is where agnostics might hop an a high horse and it sure sounded like it in the post I replied to.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

The hard core extreme atheists that wouldn't accept god no matter how staggering the evidence are pretty rare.

and lets not forget that fine line between acceptance and submission. i accept the existence of dictators and monarchs, but i dont submit to them.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

It's a non factor to me.

I understand but not caring isn't really waiting.

I prefer the tangible and verifiable things like science, which I am frequently defending on here from fringe creationist attacks.

I agree, when speaking objectively but, I also don't have a problem if someone bases their life on a subjective experience. This is where agnostics might hop an a high horse and it sure sounded like it in the post I replied to.

Nah, not at all. It was more satire because the idea of preaching "I don't know" sounded pretty humorous so I ran with it. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with other people's beliefs. I am a huge advocate of freedom of religion as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights others. I just don't like people presenting their personal faith as if it is fact and talking down to others as a result. It also gets quite old when they preach against science using ignorance to support their arguments. Most religious folks don't fit that stereotype, but on ATS we get them quite often and it's mostly the literalists who are really only a small minority when it comes to religion as a whole.
edit on 16-4-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36 >>

join