It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You are (ironically) responding to a post of mine, but are ignoring the substance of the post you are responding to. Why?

Was it the comment about republicans?

👣

edit on 102SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: BlueMule
The ball is in your court. You claimed people used to call lightning god. I asked you what people.

You don't know them. They were friends of mine.

In that case, do you expect me to consider your argument as valid?

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

One more swing and I'm out of here.

You've cited your studies and personal realizations as your evidence here.

Fine, at least you were honest about it, as opposed to some who apparently believe that their own ignorance is the only actual reality.

But you keep coming off in this coy way with oblique references you think are deeply meaningful and significant.

You keep alluding to your own inner work as if that is the only actual reality ... and it isn't.

Many have had the same realizations you've had ... and moved on in different directions ... indeed, some of us are now atheists.

I'm glad you've given your internal workings a good going over, and I'm not really trying to minimize your experiences or your world-view.

I'm only trying get you to see the same thing Hamlet tried to show Horatio.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Atheism is lack of belief in a God. It's very specific.

Are you talking about legitimate atheism, or illegitimate? You have qualifiers that you use inconsistently.

👣

P.S. you can ignore me if you want, I can't stop you. But I hope you don't mind if I keep trying to understand you. Or would you prefer it if I quit addressing you?

There are some people who think or call themselves Atheist as revenge or hatred of religion because of a negative event or rejection.

That is not how atheism works.

So, in the future, when you use the term atheist, should I just fill in the qualifier of legitimate for you?

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Are you talking about legitimate atheism, or illegitimate? You have qualifiers that you use inconsistently.

👣

P.S. you can ignore me if you want, I can't stop you. But I hope you don't mind if I keep trying to understand you. Or would you prefer it if I quit addressing you?

There are some people who think or call themselves Atheist as revenge or hatred of religion because of a negative event or rejection.

So, in the future, when you use the term atheist, should I just fill in the qualifier of legitimate for you?

👣

Are you just bored now? A little child that's not getting enough attention?

My atheism does not need to be defined for me.

Sometimes additional "adjectives" are used to clarify a difference for an inquisitor.
edit on 28-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

One more swing and I'm out of here.

You've cited your studies and personal realizations as your evidence here.

Fine, at least you were honest about it, as opposed to some who apparently believe that their own ignorance is the only actual reality.

But you keep coming off in this coy way with oblique references you think are deeply meaningful and significant.

I'm not trying to offend you with my way. I'm just trying to share. Everyone has something to contribute. I appreciate your patience.

You keep alluding to your own inner work as if that is the only actual reality ... and it isn't.

Many have had the same realizations you've had ... and moved on in different directions ... indeed, some of us are now atheists.

I'm glad you've given your internal workings a good going over, and I'm not really trying to minimize your experiences or your world-view.

I'm only trying get you to see the same thing Hamlet tried to show Horatio.

Fine, let's talk about Shakespeare's mysticism of the theatre.

An analysis of his collective works yields some interesting ideas. Let me run them past you, for your consideration.

1. The idea of an inclusive system, a grand spiritual synthesis, reconciling religious extremes in an integrated vision of union with the Divine Love.

2. The idea of syncretic mythology, in which all archaic mythological figures and events are available as a thesaurus of glyphs or token symbols - the personal language of the new metaphysical system.

3. The idea of this concordance of mythological (and historical) figures simply as a Memory System, a tabulated chart of all that can be known, of history, of the other world, and of the inner worlds, and in particular of spiritual conditions and moral types.

4. The idea of this system as a theatre.

5. The idea of these images as internally structured poetic images - the idea of the single image as a package of precisely folded multiple meanings, consistent with the meanings of a unified system.

6. The idea of as-if-actual visualization as the first practical essential for effective meditation (as in St Ignatius Loyola's Spiritual Disciplines, as well as in Cabbala)

7. The idea of meditation as a conjuring, by ritual magic, of hallucinatory figures - with whom conversations can be held, and who communicate intuitive, imaginative visions and clairvoyance.

8. The idea of drama as a ritual for the manipulation of the soul.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

👣

👣

Are you just bored now?

A little child that's not getting enough attention?

Ouch. Ok, I can take a hint. I'll leave you alone.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Hamlet, Act V, Scene 1

'Nite.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Hamlet, Act V, Scene 1

'Nite.

goodnight, sweet prince
and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

😴

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Oh, you were serious. I did have some friends that were wiccan who believed the elements were gods.

Lightning in religion

Lightning in cultures has been viewed as part of a deity or a deity in of itself.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Oh, you were serious. I did have some friends that were wiccan who believed the elements were gods.

Lightning in religion

Lightning in cultures has been viewed as part of a deity or a deity in of itself.

So, when a shaman uses psi to manipulate the weather, should we consider the weather to be part of the shaman herself, or should we consider it as the shaman in and of herself?

👣

edit on 153SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I don't know or care but most people don't call lightning a god anymore and that was all I said.

edit on 28-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I don't know or care but most people don't call lighting a god anymore and that was all I said.

But it isn't about that. It's about the unknown. We project the archetypes of the collective unconscious into it, via psi, and as the frontier of the unknown is pushed back, we withdraw our projections and start over. Thus, religion and myth transform over time.

Now, in the space-age, the frontier has changed. We project our psyche into space, the final frontier, and it is reflected back at us in the symbolic form of alien. But it's the same archetypes that we used to project into the elements, or animals, or totems, or alchemical formula.

👣

edit on 165Saturday000000America/ChicagoMar000000SaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   
But they were not gods so, they were not gods. Why is that so hard to grasp?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I grasp it. It isn't hard. But here's the thing. That which most people call gods are not just stories, or figments of overactive, crazy imaginations. They are magnified, interactive, extraordinary parts of us. They are the Superman to our Clark Kent.

Atheists don't take the right approach to them. Neither do religious fundamentalists. So I oppose both.

We can't reach our potential, as a species, if we are repressing that part of ourselves through atheism, or if we are projecting that part of ourselves outward through religion or ET cults. We need to withdraw and integrate our projections. Atheism is not the way to do that, and neither is religious fundamentalism.

👣

edit on 172SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

But here's the thing. That which most people call gods are not just stories, or figments of overactive, crazy imaginations. They are magnified, interactive, extraordinary parts of us. They are the Superman to our Clark Kent.

Says who? You?

Not interested.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

That which most people call gods are not just stories, or figments of overactive, crazy imaginations. They are magnified, interactive, extraordinary parts of us. They are the Superman to our Clark Kent.

Not all tales are tales of power.

Some gods are just stories and therefore are not gods, so they are not gods.

Hate to repeat the same thing over and over but you seem to want to disregard that important bit. You seem to think that if some culture gave something enough importance as to call it a god then, it must have been. I disagree.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

But here's the thing. That which most people call gods are not just stories, or figments of overactive, crazy imaginations. They are magnified, interactive, extraordinary parts of us. They are the Superman to our Clark Kent.

Says who? You?

Not interested.

Oh, Annee. I'm so disappointed in you. First you push me away. Then you respond to one of my posts?

It isn't just me that says so. It's cutting-edge religious scholarship, which according to you I read too much of. And insights from a century of parapsychology, which isn't exactly shouted from rooftops.

I understand that all this is threatening to most people, including you. Sorry about that.

Now I think maybe we should just ignore each other.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: maxzen2004
I recently watched the CNN special on Atheists and I understand and respect their belief. But to stand in an airport and preach not to believe anything is weird. Are these people mentally ill? A former Pastor became a non-believer and lost everything, ok the point? I think Satanist use the Atheist veil to hide their real agenda.

If one of these bozos come up to me, I will tell them they are idiots.

Doesn't the Gospel of Thomas lean more to the philosophical and metaphsyical gnostic (knowledge)? Isn't gnostic all encompassing of cosmic, diety, salvation, etc. Oh, I see...to question the diety is sacraligious, or the pious (you?). But that is the point, is it not, to interpret this knowledge with your intuition? This has nothing to do with belief in God or the force, but your failure to embrace your intuition as to what is the truth here.
edit on 28-3-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

That which most people call gods are not just stories, or figments of overactive, crazy imaginations. They are magnified, interactive, extraordinary parts of us. They are the Superman to our Clark Kent.

Not all tales are tales of power.

Some gods are just stories and therefore are not gods, so they are not gods.

Hate to repeat the same thing over and over but you seem to want to disregard that important bit. You seem to think that if some culture gave something enough importance as to call it a god then, it must have been. I disagree.

And yet, the atheist-on-the-street isn't following the example of Sam Harris and practicing mystical techniques in order to activate the archetypes of the collective unconscious in their own psyche; to live out the monomyth; to become enlightened. Why is that, I wonder.

👣

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join