It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: windword

I've proven that atheism is just as much of a belief as theism, deism, or any other.

In your mind only.

Atheism is lack of belief in a God. It's very specific.

That doesn't mean an atheist can't have ideas, opinions, philosophies, etc.
edit on 28-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

No you haven't! LOL

It's ok. I know nobody here is going to admit I just schooled the lot of you. Deep down inside you know I've won this argument. It's ok if you consciously deny it. I will add that information to the "collective conscious"

All you've discovered is everybody has beliefs. Atheists have individual and different beliefs about life, the afterlife and higher purposes.

Precisely. I wouldn't exactly call it a discovery, however.

The only thing all atheists have in common is that they all have no belief in a supreme creator deity.

Currently, that seems to be up for debate. It's simply the definition you choose to put on it, which begs the question of whether or not you really are an atheist, and whether other atheists would agree? I suspect the materialists will do you the solid of not replying since you are arguing with a theist, but I'm not so sure they would agree with your definitions.

It's been a blast folks.

I know when I've won a debate handedly and there is no point trying to convince the loser otherwise. In the meantime, I'd suggest actually reading over the last 4 or 5 pages of this thread, because you had your asses handed to you and haven't realized it through willful ignorance.

I'll see you around, I'm sure

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

when it comes to personal beliefs, imo, there are no "winners".

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Explain why and how a quality (or quantity) such as "human soul" requires a god.

"Random Chance, give me strength." -Gryphon66

There is a part of you that is stronger than random chance. It can bring random chance into accord with your intentions, desires, and belief system. You are to that part of you as Clark Kent is to Superman. Some would call it your soul, your spirit, your psi. Some might call it an alien.

"Absolutely. I mean, again the phrase, “the “human as two”” is meant as sort of the balancing point because of course the history of religion, the history of these experiences were usually understood to be some kind of God or deity or transcendent world intervening in the life of the person, wherewith these modern mystics, these authors and artists, they’re usually suspicious of those kinds of religious projections. They don’t see these experiences as proving the existence of God, per se, or some Heaven or some Hell.

They see these experiences establishing that the “human as two”, not that the human being is experiencing God but that the human experience of God is actually a human experience of some other aspect of the human being. God is, if you will, a name previous cultures and eras have given to this other part of who we actually are. So this ends up effectively divinizing human beings, but not the social self or the ego, not what I call the “Clark Kent” aspect of who we are but this sort of secret self, the other side of it that peeks through very rarely but fairly consistently throughout human history. So it’s really a way of trying to humanize and bring down the divinity into human experience." -Jeffrey Kripal

You don't have to worry that a republican theocracy will take over if the concept of soul gains ground.

👣

edit on 052SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Humans fear death ... we all want to live forever ... to live in Eternity ...

People look for answers to the question what happens when we die ... Some look at the material world and their body and assume that when the body dies so do they ... that they are the body ...

Yet my perspective is that we are Intelligent beings ... with the faculty of being able to consider such things ... Thought is our fuel ... we are users of thought ...

Yet we do not possess the Intelligence to make an Earth ... I believe this Universe came to be through Intelligence ... a Higher Intelligence and was not some freak accident ...

Would it be Intelligent to create an autonomous being such as we only to destroy it ... This would seem cruel if true and would go against what true Intelligence is ...

We make the world the way it is ... presently we are destroying our own Earth in many ways ... this is unintelligent ...
Like I said ... Our link to Reality is through thought ... the thoughts we choose to use or not ...

edit on 28-3-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
Humans fear death ... we all want to live forever ... to live in Eternity ...

I don't fear death. I do fear the pain that might be associated with it.

I have no desire to live forever.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

It's simply the definition you choose to put on it, which begs the question of whether or not you really are an atheist, and whether other atheists would agree?

Exactly, and by the way, you've yet to post your definition of "God". The fact is, I think of myself as an atheist, because I don't believe in a creator god or a supreme deity.

I know when I've won a debate handedly and there is no point trying to convince the loser otherwise. In the meantime, I'd suggest actually reading over the last 4 or 5 pages of this thread, because you had your asses handed to you and haven't realized it through willful ignorance.

Classic intellectual dishonesty!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

It's simply the definition you choose to put on it, which begs the question of whether or not you really are an atheist, and whether other atheists would agree?

Classic intellectual dishonesty!

Along with delusional.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Nor do I ... of course I too would like a pain free death ...
One day the Earth will be no more ... but the source of the soul in which I believe is Eternal ...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
For all of human history, we have projected parts of ourselves and interacted with them. It is we who chose to call them gods or aliens. To say they aren't gods but aliens is to get caught up in the symbolic form. To say they are aren't aliens but gods is also to get caught up in mere form. They are masks; costumes for archetypes of the collective unconscious.

I've noticed that most atheists reject the notion of a collective unconscious, despite ample evidence.

People used to call lightening god but we no longer call it that, and it isn't just getting caught up in the symbolic form.

Hey whatever floats yer boat. Just don't expect me to bow to the dominant paradigm. I know better.

Don't and please offer me the same courtesy when I refuse to bow to yours.

Yeah, well, when you've studied Comparativism for years and have been to the other side of the veil I might listen to what you think equals god.

I don't care if you listen to what I think equals god because it wouldn't change anything, and it certainly won't change how the majority of people define it, so I will continue to go with the odds.
edit on 28-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

Nor do I ... of course I too would like a pain free death ...
One day the Earth will be no more ... but the source of the soul in which I believe is Eternal ...

I believe everything is energy, that this energy evolved into a consciousness, and began to create its thoughts. I believe everything is a thought creation. We are, existance/consciousness, ONE ------ but also layers upon layeris, creations upon creations and off shoot independent/individual consciousness.

So yeah, eternal. But, if not, I'm OK with that too.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
People used to call lightening god but we no longer call it that and it isn't just getting caught up in the symbolic form.

What people? Let's get specific here. Let's take a closer look.

Don't and please offer me the same courtesy when I refuse to bow to yours.

Of course. It's nice when people can express themselves without others thinking they are trying to force people to bow.

I don't care if you listen to what I think equals god because it wouldn't change anything and it certainly won't change how the majority of people define it so I will continue to go with the odds.

Who cares about the majority? What is this, a kind of reverse argumentum ad populum?

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Are you talking about legitimate atheism, or illegitimate? You have qualifiers that you use inconsistently.

👣

P.S. you can ignore me if you want, I can't stop you. But I hope you don't mind if I keep trying to understand you. Or would you prefer it if I quit addressing you?

edit on 087SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

What people? Let's get specific here. Let's take a closer look.

Go ahead.

Of course. It's nice when people can express themselves without others thinking they are trying to force people to bow.

Your posts don't come off that way.

Who cares about the majority? What is this, a kind of reverse argumentum ad populum?

Guess you just didn't grasp the point.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

You're joking.

You have to be joking.

You insist that others communicate with you in your terms, and yet, won't define those terms.

Then you whine about intellectual honesty ...

Then you declare "victory" in some contest that only you are playing in.

I just realized, you're a legend in your own mind ...

Woo.

/radiosilence

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I believe everything is energy, that this energy evolved into a consciousness, and began to create its thoughts. I believe everything is a thought creation. We are, existance/consciousness, ONE ------ but also layers upon layeris, creations upon creations and off shoot independent/individual consciousness.

So yeah, eternal. But, if not, I'm OK with that too.

I like your expansive outlook and though my description may be different to yours ... I agree in principal with it.

Re: Eternity ... That is an honest way to see it ... I feel it is true in my bones and my experience but will only know the reality of it or not when I kick my clogs so to speak

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

With all respect, do you genuinely believe that you are the only person here who has studied religions, history, philosophy, psychology, the occult, mystery schools, parapsychology, spirtual systems, the Otherworld, the Collective Unconscious, the Tao, and Magick???

Many of us have been where you are and have moved on to another level. I know that's shocking.

If you want much of a discussion with me, I encourage you to remember the lesson of hubris. EDIT: Yes, this is irony.

I can explain EVERY ELEMENT you've described as part of your imagination. I don't believe it is ONLY your imagination, but that would explain it. All of it. So please, feel free to refer to whatever mumbo-jumbo you favor, but don't spit off the top of Olympus and expect us to believe it's raining.

Best.

edit on 20Sat, 28 Mar 2015 20:18:44 -050015p082015366 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Are you talking about legitimate atheism, or illegitimate? You have qualifiers that you use inconsistently.

👣

P.S. you can ignore me if you want, I can't stop you. But I hope you don't mind if I keep trying to understand you. Or would you prefer it if I quit addressing you?

There are some people who think or call themselves Atheist as revenge or hatred of religion because of a negative event or rejection.

That is not how atheism works.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Go ahead.

The ball is in your court. You claimed people used to call lightning god. I asked you what people.

Your posts don't come off that way.

Well that's nice to know.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The ball is in your court. You claimed people used to call lightning god. I asked you what people.

You don't know them. They were friends of mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join