It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

then accept you possess a belief system the same as any theist.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Sorry but no, I have experienced things, firsthand, that have shaped my views of reality.
edit on 28-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Then we have something in common. How is it I have a belief yet you don't?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Call it whatever you want, no skin off my back.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

How is it you can have an eternal soul and an afterlife without a source to either?

The "source" is the self creating and most probable self conscious, eternal Universe, that were are a part of and inseparable from. The Universe is most probably self conscious because, well, I am. As long as the Universe is arourd, I'll be there with it.

If you want me to call the Universe "God", that's fine. But I don't believe in something/anything that exists outside of the Universe, or something that has a bead trained on planet Earth and how they interpret the "Knowledge of Good and Evil".

Who formed the soul? Who crafted the afterlife for you?

For me?

WE did.

Who formed the Universe? Who crafted THIS life? Who created your God?

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that I really DO believe in a God. I don't.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You aren't an atheist. Or do you proclaim to be one?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: BlueMule

... and when the extraordinary becomes ordinary, what then?

Unveiling.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

My understanding of the definition of God is this, A supreme being who created the universe out of nothing using only its will, yet exists outside of its creation. Then you have the Abrahamic intrusive God that is watching and judging. I believe in neither. If your definition of God is different, please let me know.

Everyone has beliefs, but not everyone has beliefs in God, as defined above.

I believe in the Universe, like I outlined earlier. I'm able to enter conversations about the nature of "God" and such, because I can envision a conscious Universe as "God". If I'm conscious, it's my belief that the Universe itself is probably conscious too. If the Universe is eternal, which I believe it is, then I am too, probably. If the Universe is "God", then so am I.

edit on 28-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Who formed the Universe? Who crafted THIS life? Who created your God?

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that I really DO believe in a God. I don't.

And therein lies the crux of the issue. You don't believe in "my" God. That by itself, does not make you an atheist.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

My understanding of the definition of God is this, A supreme being who created the universe out of nothing using only his will, yet exist outside of "his" creation. Then you have the Abrahamic intrusive God that is watching and judging. I believe in neither. If your definition of God is different, please let me know.

Everyone has beliefs, but not everyone has beliefs in God, as defined above.

I believe in the Universe, like I outlined earlier. I'm able to enter conversations about the nature of "God" and such, because I can envision a conscious Universe as "God". If I'm conscious, it's my belief that the Universe itself is probably conscious too. If the Universe is eternal, which I believe it is, then I am too, probably. If the Universe is "God", then so am I.

There are many ways to interpret "God", the abrahamic faiths just being 3 of them. There is the vedic principle, the buddhist principle (although they claim to not believe in "God" they believe in a primary creative force), the Deist notion, etc. You simply can't claim to be an atheist and believe in an afterlife, and if you feel you can, the onus is on you to describe how those two ideas are compatible.

Ultimately, the universe is simply a place. If you believe it has a consciousness, then you believe in a God, just in different terms. You are not an atheist. It amazes me that I even need to explain this.

edit on 28-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

How do you define "God". Can the Universe be God?

ETA:

If you believe it has a consciousness, then you believe in a God, just in different terms.

I'm conscious. Am I God?

Ultimately, the universe is simply a place.

It's the ONLY place.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Seraph:

Let's turn this around for a second.

Explain why and how a quality (or quantity) such as "human soul" requires a god.

Thanks,

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

It can be to you. But that would disqualify you as an atheist, wouldn't it?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Seraph:

Let's turn this around for a second.

Explain why and how a quality (or quantity) such as "human soul" requires a god.

Thanks,

First, we would need to define what a "soul" is, but assuming it is the essence that makes up who we are and it survives after death, it would need to have a source. Furthermore, any place the "soul" might go to after death, would have to have been created or at the very least, be the source of the soul.

Hence we can argue 3 things:

1) If the soul exists, it must have a source

2) If the soul persists after death, it must either go to a prepared (created) place, or return to it's source

3) therefore, the soul was either created, or it does not exist.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Will someone who cares overthink in a controlled situation? Yep.

Will someone who doesn't care cruise through? Yep. Hardly a revolution. You seem to read a lot.

Well, labeling something as overthink is a judgment call. Maybe you are underthinking.

BTW, do you recall any dreams last night?

ESP is not Power of Positive Thought.

You seemed to call it such, when you responded to my post. Perhaps you can tell us what you think ESP is, and why you think the vast majority of Western scientists reject the notion.

I live my life by "every thought is an action".

Are you familiar with the concept of wu wei? The action of inaction. Star Wars, as a mythology, demonstrated it when Luke Skywalker let go and destroyed the death star.

Who acted? Who destroyed the death star? Luke, or the Force? Who was thinking?

Maybe I read too much. Or maybe people don't read enough.

👣

edit on 003SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Not really. Atheists are often alienated from conversations because of simple semantics. I found a way around that. In my opinion my calling the Universe "God" is a compromise that allows me participate in conversations that include a "God" in a positive and inclusive manner, both online and in "real" life.

I mean, If I HAVE TO believe in a God, then I should get to define what it is I believe, right?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I'm conscious. Am I God?

That depends on your view of reality. Some people view our individual minds as shards of the divine, experiencing creation in a myriad of different ways every moment. That would still disqualify such a belief from atheism though, wouldn't it?

It's the ONLY place.

We don't know that.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Not really. Atheists are often alienated from conversations because of simple semantics. I found a way around that. In my opinion my calling the Universe "God" is a compromise that allows me participate in conversations that include a "God" in a positive and inclusive manner, both online and in "real" life.

I mean, If I HAVE TO believe in a God, then I should get to define what it is I believe, right?

I personally don't believe you HAVE TO believe in a god. I would just prefer you remain honest about how you define your beliefs if you do (in whatever context that might be).

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Perhaps "the soul" arises from the existence of a body and a mind.

Perhaps "the soul" is "created" by the existence of a body.

Perhaps after biological death "the soul" exists at the same level of reality it "exists at" now.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Perhaps "the soul" arises from the existence of a body and a mind.

How? How is it something eternal that persists after death can come from a purely materialist universe that occurred simply by chance? What are the chances that not only life would occur here on earth and we would evolve into our present form, but that we would also randomly possess eternal souls?

Perhaps "the soul" is "created" by the existence of a body.

Then why would it be eternal and persist after the death of the body? Did it exist before the body? If you subscribe to the idea of reincarnation, it did. Where did it come from?

Perhaps after biological death "the soul" exists at the same level of reality it "exists at" now.

How is that possible if it survives death?

Such concepts are completely incompatible with a universe devoid of an author.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join