It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Also, I've come to think of humanity as a horrible infection on the skin of the living planet.

Now that does not surprise me... LOL

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

Knowing something is not belief.

For example: "I know there is an apple on the table."

Finding no evidence for something is not belief.

"There is no apple on the table."

Everything is not belief.
edit on 16Sat, 28 Mar 2015 16:01:08 -050015p042015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: DeadSeraph

This is just a guess, but I would bet a spiritual atheist is one who believes in the sanctity of all life and perhaps even the spark of divinity inherent in every being, but rejects all organized religious belief / human conceptions of "god" as flawed constructs.

Then don't define yourself as an atheist.

It's almost like we need to come up with a new definition because "atheists" are happy to shift the goal posts when it comes to defining their own beliefs.

"I don't believe in God, but I'm perfectly ok with believing in an after life"

Just tell it like it is, and state that you don't believe in the ABRAHAMIC CONCEPT OF GOD, but you really aren't an atheist. I have met REAL atheists, and they are materialists. If you need a new term to invent whatever it is you people think you are, I leave it up to you to coin one. But in the mean time, BlueMule is absolutely correct. Half of you aren't even atheists, although you profess it.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

"I don't believe in God, but I'm perfectly ok with believing in an after life"

Why is that a problem for you? How is that shifting the goal posts?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
Just tell it like it is, and state that you don't believe in the ABRAHAMIC CONCEPT OF GOD, but you really aren't an atheist. I have met REAL atheists, and they are materialists. If you need a new term to invent whatever it is you people think you are, I leave it up to you to coin one. But in the mean time, BlueMule is absolutely correct. Half of you aren't even atheists, although you profess it.

I don't believe in the ABRAHAMIC CONCEPT OF GOD, but I also don't believe in any of the other concepts of god that I have come across.

You know why seperate words exist for atheism and materialism? No matter how hard you try to force it on others, they don't mean the same thing. One can be one, the other, neither or both.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I tried addressing this issue in another thread, and received no intellectually honest responses, but maybe I will try here.

It's a problem because it's illogical. You want to have your cake and eat it too (as the saying goes). How is it you can have an eternal soul and an afterlife without a source to either?

Who formed the soul? Who crafted the afterlife for you?

Claiming one is an atheist and professing a belief in the afterlife or the soul is completely contradictory. The two beliefs simply aren't compatible, and no amount of self proclaimed "agnosticism" can reconcile the logical disconnect between the two.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

I don't believe in the ABRAHAMIC CONCEPT OF GOD, but I also don't believe in any of the other concepts of god that I have come across.

You know why seperate words exist for atheism and materialism? No matter how hard you try to force it on others, they don't mean the same thing. One can be one, the other, neither or both.

Then call yourself an agnostic.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Why do you care what people call themselves?

You keep trying to correct the way that folks are expressing themselves here. Why?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Why do you care what people call themselves?

You keep trying to correct the way that folks are expressing themselves here. Why?

Because these are the same people who rail against theists because they disagree with their beliefs. What ground do you have to stand on in criticism of theism when you can't even make up your own mind about what it is you really believe?

Would you not call me out if I said I was an atheist that believes in God? Subsequently, why should I not call out an atheist that claims they believe in the eternal soul and an afterlife?

Call a spade a spade. I'm just looking for intellectual honesty here, and it seems to be lacking.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

"Then call yourself an agnostic." I tried that earlier in this thread and got crapped on lol.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Then call yourself an agnostic.

No, atheist fits better.

Agnostics believe that one can't know. I don't share that.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

so you know, you just know that the abrahamic concept of God is BS to you? Then you aren't really an atheist, are you?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I'm an agnostic. I know this because I refuse to believe that we can know for sure if god exists or not. Neither answer can be argued satisfactorily.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

so you know, you just know that the abrahamic concept of God is BS to you? Then you aren't really an atheist, are you?

It isn't just the abrahamic concept of God. Did you miss that?

So you not only want to tell me what words I can use, but also what I believe?
edit on 28-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm an agnostic. I know this because I refuse to believe that we can know for sure if god exists or not. Neither answer can be argued satisfactorily.

That is an intellectually honest and logical way of looking at the issue.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

It isn't just the abrahamic concept of God. Did you miss that?

Did you miss the preceding conversation?

Do you personally feel that a belief in the afterlife is compatible with atheism?
edit on 28-3-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Did you miss the preceding conversation?

Most likely.

Do you personally feel that a belief in the afterlife is compatible with atheism?

Yes, that is why atheism and materialism are seperate concepts.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Then please explain how atheism and a belief in the afterlife are compatible notions.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Then please explain how atheism and a belief in the afterlife are compatible notions.

What needs to be explained?

Atheism means you don't believe in god and materialsim means that you believe the material world is all there is. They are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Its a logical fallacy to claim that there is an afterlife and an eternal soul, but no source to either. Don't play semantics, simply explain to me how you believe there can be an afterlife without a creator.

It's a simple question, really.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join