It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: Annee

this has just become downright comical. I wonder how many people consider themselves "spiritual atheists"? LMAO

Maybe it would be more appropriate to call yourselves anti-christians?

just because a person doesn't believe in something doesn't make them anti-something.....I don't believe in santa claus, but I'm NOT anti-santa claus, I don't believe in the easter bunny, but I'm NOT anti-easter bunny.....talk about being comical

Give me a break. Wtf is a "spiritual atheist"?

the narrative here is bordering on comedy.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: BlueMule

When you cite your own studies, experiences and understandings as your evidence ... are you implicitly stating that is "for you" or are you saying that what you know is true "for all of us"?

Like you said, it's largely about language.

'Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation' -Rumi

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Nice segue, but I'm still going to press you just a little bit ... have you found "the truth" or "the truth for you?"

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Who knows.....but you can be sure it doesn't involve gods and that's all that is relevant in regards to the thread topic.

edit on 28-3-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Nice segue, but I'm still going to press you just a little bit ... have you found "the truth" or "the truth for you?"

Let's just say I've found a translation that is perhaps more panoramic, more cross-cultural, more supported by scholarship and evidence than most of them that I see.

👣

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004

Belief in nothing? Most of the atheists I know are humanists, which is a far more ethical / moral framework than any major religion.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

This is just a guess, but I would bet a spiritual atheist is one who believes in the sanctity of all life and perhaps even the spark of divinity inherent in every being, but rejects all organized religious belief / human conceptions of "god" as flawed constructs.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

Let's just say I've found a translation that is perhaps more panoramic, more cross-cultural, more supported by scholarship and evidence than most of them that I see.

👣

I feel like you're being a mite coy there BM ... but nonetheless. I'll make my point and move on.

If as a result of your studies, introspection, thoughtful analysis, etc., you have reached the conclusions that you have AND you understand that is because that effort has pushed you into recoding the internal dialogues and structures that had culturally constructed "you" at the level I described earlier ... that compositional level ... then I have no argument, and indeed, there is no possible argument with whatever your position might be.

HOWEVER, when you or anyone else brings those primal realizations/conceptualizations/etc. into the real material world for example "God makes the flowers grow", those claims become subject to rationality, logic and scientific reasoning.

That's where I'm coming from, if it makes sense and if you were interested.

EDIT: You yourself have not claimed that "God makes the flowers grow" to be clear, I'm just using that as a particular example of an un-falsifiable statement.

edit on 9Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:57:06 -050015p092015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
a reply to: MarkJS

You think religion is the totality of culture?....

Superstitions do not represent all of human culture, but it isn't surprising to hear that some superstitionists think it is.

If you are able to believe that the earth and universe were specifically created just for you and your chosen group of 'followers', then you'd be able to spew some ignorant crap like the above and actually believe it.....

Nature abhors annihilation.
Cicero, De Finibus, V. 11. 3.

or:

Natura abhorret vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum.
François Rabelais, Gargantua, Chapter V.

Your vacaious, bankrupt religion will be filled with something. Wait for it.

edit on 28/3/2015 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/3/2015 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

It's always entertaining to me when "atheists" attempt to attack the notion of God because they really aren't atheists in the truest terms and have no understanding of the the philosophical implications of the argument.

Sort of like that thread about how people believe in the afterlife and the soul, just without God lol
I can only speak for myself but I don't believe in any gods, any form of afterlife, souls/spirits, ghosts, goblins, pixies, dragons, out of body experiences, demons, karma, tarot cards, astrology, angels, visiting space aliens, and basically anything else which has not presented itself with a scrap of evidence to draw me towards such a belief, aside from personal testimony of others.
I do not believe they are all a bunch of bull#, just that I have seen nothing to convince me so the jury is still out, and I am open to change my position in any event that new evidence is put on the table.

It is curious though that out of all those examples, only one lack of belief (gods) has a label attached, atheist.
I wonder what makes lack of belief in gods so special that it requires a specific label? I am of the opinion that it is solely a construct of religion to set non-believers apart as something negative compared to believers.

Hey what do I know as a godless soulless empty shell of a human lol, at least being dead is not something I fear in any way at all, but I would like to live for as long as I remain healthy, and until that time comes I make all decisions on morality without the need of a wrathful god to inspire me.

*Edit*
Just realised, 'atheist' is pretty much the Christian equivalent of 'infidel' used by Muslims, lol, same kind of hatred and disdain with both words.
edit on 28.3.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS

You respond with a textbook example of a Pathetic fallacy?.....

TIme to take a look at your superstitions methinks.....maybe apply a critical eye or two....

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

*Edit*
Just realised, 'atheist' is pretty much the Christian equivalent of 'infidel' used by Muslims, lol, same kind of hatred and disdain with both words.

Don't even bother replying to me if you haven't realized I'm beyond that.

I am willing to hear you out. I'm not here to preach to you. I'm here to have a good conversation. I don't give a # about stars.

Now someone explain to me what a "spiritual atheist" is, and why you are all ok with that idea, but not the notion of a "God".

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Apparent Gods have influenced people to impose their 2000 year old morality on others in 2015, whereas spiritual folk just light joss sticks.......
edit on 28-3-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I'm a "spiritual atheist". I believe that there is a "spiritual" component to existence, and one day science will verify its existence more clearly.

I believe in reincarnation, but that we aren't limited to this earthly plane or even this earth. I think these "planes" exist within an hierarchy just like the hierarchy we experience here on earth. Our leaders, teachers and mentors aren't gods and they rotate in and out of their agencies. Same as in the "spiritual" planes as well.

There are beings that are more supreme than us, surely, but I don't believe that there is a constant "Supreme Being" that created but exists outside of the created Universe, and all it's dimensions, or planes, that has focused its attention on us earthlings, and all that Abrahamic Bible stuff.

I believe that Universe is a self creating, and possibly a self aware consciousness, and that we are all a part of the whole and that all separation is an intellectual problem and an illusion.

edit on 28-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

HOWEVER, when you or anyone else brings those primal realizations/conceptualizations/etc. into the real material world for example "God makes the flowers grow", those claims become subject to rationality, logic and scientific reasoning.

That's where I'm coming from, if it makes sense and if you were interested.

It makes sense. I get what you're throwing down.

I'm bringing taboo realizations into the so-called real material world. I'm attempting to blur, erase, and redraw lines between heaven and earth, between concepts, between social mechanisms. That's what shamans, mystics, and UFO contactees do. That's part of what the trickster archetype does. That's how the Trickster makes this world.

Make no mistake about it! There is only one thing preventing the dissemination of parapsychological evidence throughout the realm you call rationality, logic and scientific reasoning.

Taboo.

Without that social mechanism to protect the realm of rationality, logic and scientific reasoning the world would be a much different and better place.

👣

edit on 693SaturdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Is that all you focused on? My edit wasn't even implying that you were using the term as a rabid Christian would.
The thrust of my post was that out of all the different things I don't believe in only one non-belief has a label, that of gods.
It is also curious that the word 'Infidel' is specific to another Abrahamic religion and used with the same acidity as Christians use atheist.
If you have an opinion on rabid atheists, militant atheists, or extremist atheists then add the prefix and I will probably agree, but it is misleading to add any value to the meaning of atheist other than one who does not believe in gods.
Spiritual atheist? Yep, I can get that, one who does not believe in gods but has a belief in spirituality/souls/interconnectedness or whatever. Still an atheist though as they don't believe in gods. Could even be a spiritual agnostic atheist if that is their position. What's so difficult to understand there?

I don't believe in any of it so I'm an agnostic atheist.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Who knows.....but you can be sure it doesn't involve gods and that's all that is relevant in regards to the thread topic.

I agree, I was going to answer him, but you beat me to it...maybe if we all stopped believing in mythical gods, took responsibility for our own character and deeds, this would be a more sane world.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

a reply to: Annee

this has just become downright comical. I wonder how many people consider themselves "spiritual atheists"? LMAO

Maybe it would be more appropriate to call yourselves anti-christians?

Atheism does not mean anti anything.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

God in the purest sense of the word, can't be falsified, because it doesn't exist in the physical world. It can't be touched or seen with physical hands or eyes.

So you created an each way bet you couldnt lose, you created the Trinity and the god child jesus. And true to his jehovah/baal form he introduced cannibalism oops...the Eucharist.

I think many of you are stuck on your notions of Christianity, and how much you hate it. I'm not even sure half the atheists I have met here are legitimately atheists. Most of them just seem to hate Christianity.

NO. Separation of church and state.

When a religious belief tries to force me to adhere to their beliefs through legislation --- that is a problem.

Are you going to deny the Religious Right in the US does exactly that?

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

... and when the extraordinary becomes ordinary, what then?
edit on 11Sat, 28 Mar 2015 11:30:13 -050015p112015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join