It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

originally posted by: Annee

Why shouldn't they?

They should. But so should Jedi. And Buddhists. And chaos magicians. And Hindu. Hey free yoga classes for abused Christians who need support would do a lot of good.

Our society seems to be caught in a false dichotomy.

As long as God Belief stays out of government, I don't care.

God belief should be personal.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

UN Children's Bill of Rights?

There is a reason we do not sign it! Complete State control of all Education. Barring Homeschooling, tutoring, etc. and giving an international body leverage into our very homes.

Yeah.... stuff it!

Protect Our Children from a Dangerous U.N. Treaty
Why America Should NOT Ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child

In what may be the greatest assault ever on parental rights in America, liberal leaders are pushing for Senate ratification of a United Nations treaty called the Convention on the Rights of the Child, or CRC. If ratified, it would:

Radically encroach on our sovereignty;
Subject us to an independent UN committee of “experts” in Geneva;
Allow the government in all cases to determine what is in a child’s best interest;
Intrude on parents’ rights to teach values and faith
Grant to children autonomous rights, which many believe would include access to controversial sexual information and even abortion.

Even more troubling is the CRC’s approach to allow government to step in and, without any showing of any harm on the part of parents, to override parental decisions based on what the government believes is in the child’s best interest.

This is contrary to traditional American law, which provides that absent proof of harm, courts and social workers simply do not have the authority to intervene in parent-child relationships and decision-making. The importance of this tradition and practice is that the government may not substitute its judgment for that of the parent until there is proof of harm to the child sufficient to justify governmental intervention. It is clear that in two very important areas of the parent-child relationship, religion and education, there will be potential for tremendous conflict [if the CRC is ratified].

www.nocrc.org...

The UN Wants Your Child: What’s In Store For America’s Homeschoolers?
www.offthegridnews.com...

edit on 27-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Like someone who doesn't believe in Santa Claus we don't say they have a belief that there is no Santa. Or someone who doesn't believe in the Tooth Fairy we don't say they believe there is no tooth fairy. We simply say they don't believe in the tooth fairy.

These are all things that are falsifiable.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

How can you falsify Fairies or Leprechauns or Unicorns any more than you can Gods???

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Because they are all supposedly physical beings yet they don't exist in our physical world. God in the purest sense of the word, can't be falsified, because it doesn't exist in the physical world. It can't be touched or seen with physical hands or eyes. This is especially true in the Deist sense of the term, where in God is viewed as a sort of architect of the universe, which set creation in motion and then let it play out.

We have no way to confirm it's existence, and each of us will not know if it exists or not until we die. Until then, we have a belief one way or the other (either we believe God exists or we believe God does not exist).

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Crazy christians, muslims, jews, buddhists, scientologists...and atheists. Religion draws crazy people like flies to.....

I'm an atheist, and I think everybody should believe whatever they want to believe. I simply see no evidence of a god existence, but I don't care what you think.--just as long as you don't try to convince me that your religion is right. I can't say atheism is absolutely correct, but as far as I can tell it'/s usually more harmless than the other choices.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

no, I don't believe so.
But I might be mistaken.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

That's only because you've chosen those specific definitions for things. Fairies and Leprechauns are no more physical than Gods are. According to mythology all of them choose to become physical and interact on the physical plane at various times. So saying that they are physical and God isn't is not a true statement. Both God, Gods, Fairies, Angels, etc. all contain similar characteristics as to their existence in the physical plane.

God is even called, "The Living God" and is referenced as "Being of the Flesh" when in the form of Jesus. This of course depends on who you ask though. Some like to say that God is beyond all space and time while others say he is everywhere in our reality at all times. Some say both which is even more strange and unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Barring Homeschooling, tutoring, etc. and giving an international body leverage into our very homes.

really? Did that happen?

No one has barred homeschooling. There is even some freako church down in the south (Virginia?) that passed some moronic legislature that parents could not only beat their kids, but could refuse to teach them even how to read and write.

Virginia’s law that allows families to opt out of public education for religious reasons needs further study, according to a Republican state legislator.

Del. Thomas Rust (R-Fairfax) has proposed a resolution that would direct the commonwealth’s education department to study the religious exemption law and make a recommendation as to whether it should be amended to ensure that all children are getting an adequate education.
www.washingtonpost.com... 6dc-7c8c-11e3-9556-4a4bf7bcbd84_story.html

GASP!!!! And a Republican!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Sorry, but your opinions are downright totalitarian, contrary to the notions of free societies, and sick.

The fact is that I don't really care if you like it. It needs to happen.

Exactly the problem with totalitarians.

It needs to happen according to who... Oh, that is right YOU and those who YOU agree with.

Disgusting.

You teach your own children whatever you want. Stay the hell away from mine and brainwash your own.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

see my post right above yours.
It's disgusting that any state in this union would allow for parents to bring their children up to be illiterate and medically neglected "for religious reasons."

Not just disgusting - spectacularly ignorant.

edit on 3/27/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Ah yes, some extreme example.

But, is that all you want to "prevent" or "correct" are these extreme examples? I think not. The extreme example is an excuse to take your agenda as for as possible.

So, where do you limit it? From your statements, you are for much more "control" than correcting these few extreme examples correct?

Yeah, thought so.

Control freaks are so cute

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Like someone who doesn't believe in Santa Claus we don't say they have a belief that there is no Santa. Or someone who doesn't believe in the Tooth Fairy we don't say they believe there is no tooth fairy. We simply say they don't believe in the tooth fairy.

These are all things that are falsifiable.

How do you know?
In my part of the UK there was until the 1800's a strong belief in Pixies. It remains as noticeable local folklore today.
I do not believe in Pixies, but I do not believe they never, or do not exist. I do not know that people did not witness them in pre-literate times. I do not know for example that they were not actually real or they were and all the Pixies died in a terrible Pixie plague or whatever.
It is why I do not hold a belief that Pixies never existed or do not exist now. I do not have enough information to form a belief that they don't, just lack of evidence...same with gods.
edit on 27.3.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

What kind of thing do you teach your kids about religion?

👣

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004

I don't think they (seriously) spread their non-belief; but, if they do, they should do it more efficiently.

I say this because organized religion definitely beats disorganized dissenters any day. It is at the very core of Christianity - Evangelism. It is also in Islam - expansionism and Jihad. I can't say much about Judaism, but of the three major monotheistic religions, I suppose Judaism takes thinnest slice of the pie. It's like .233% Jews, 21% Muslim, >30% Christian; only 2.3% Atheists.

Pie Chart

Perhaps, considering they're against the odds, atheism is just adjusting or conforming to the rivals?

link   
Not sure if the above link I posted will work, so here is another:

Click here to see info re Responsible Homeshooling

link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Then you are on the same page as me...

That was sort of my point about God in the first place. Nobody knows if it exists or not, therefore atheism is a "belief". It's simply the belief that God does not exist (like Theism is the belief that God DOES exist).

It's why I stated that I personally feel that barring any sort of personal experience that acts as a proof to the individual, the most logical position is a purely agnostic one. Admitting you don't know if God exists or not but allowing for either possibility.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

👣

I taught them nothing until their late teen years when we discussed it rationally in more of a Q&A format.

I don't belong to an organized church and haven't "practiced" until recently. Let's say I was a "dormant" believer who really didn't give it all much thought until recently. It is impossible to ignore anymore. Everything is coming to a head and some things are to statistically improbable to ignore anymore.

Yeshua Hamashia is the son of the living god (YHWH) and was sent to pull us out of our inevitable cycle of destruction, pain and death if we accept the truth. I have realized that we have a choice and I have chosen to not be separated from Elohim.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ah, of course....the entire state of Virginia is an extreme example. Got it.

But, is that all you want to "prevent" or "correct" are these extreme examples?

Yep! That's it! That's all I want!!!

I think not.
And again - you think 'wrongly'. You are wrong.

The extreme example is an excuse to take your agenda as for as possible.

It is a valid reason for enforcing 'parenting' education on people of child-bearing age, Male and Female alike.

Raising kids is no picnic. It is exhausting, expensive, requires constant thought and continuing education as the child develops, and an ability to adapt oneself to the CHILD'S temperament. Parents-to-be need life skills training - just like high-schoolers need life-skills training to be out on their own.

How does beating a kid or preventing him or her from learning to read and add up numbers contribute positively to our society?
Hm?

edit on 3/27/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

👣

I taught them nothing until their late teen years when we discussed it rationally in more of a Q&A format.

I don't belong to an organized church and haven't "practiced" until recently.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Are you a scholar of religious studies? If not, did you make it clear to them that you have no credentials?

👣

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join