It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School named after war hero, forces child to shave off military-style haircut

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Go ahead get a lawer and sue the school, see how that works.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Obey.

Don't question authority.
Don't draw outside the lines.
Conform.
Don't look to individuals for hero's.
Follow all the rules, always.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What confounds me is the principal said a high and tight was a distraction... How is bald not a distraction... Sounds like she has an axe to grind.

Good on mom for calling her on it.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
a reply to: skalla

just apply the policies and procedures and get on with lessons

It's many of those policies and procedures that hinder the lessons. THAT'S part of the gd problem.

People have gone insane with this nit picky pc bs....

(Nothing else to say....everything else I could say will surely violate T&C here)

SICK...OF...CONTROL...FREAKS....

Be gone, you demons from hell!!

Take a deep breath dear, it's only a conversation...

A school, just like any organisation need policies and procedures (what ever the detail of those may be).... in the UK these are usually decided by parent governors - don't you have such democratic practices in the US?

Uniforms in school are a great leveller in Britain, where often kids from a pretty wide demographic will attend the same school. It prevents bullying and fashion shows and helps to put students on an equal footing.

Maybe if more parents actually took an interest in how their kid's school is run, rather than leave it to the state, then none of this would have happened.

Pretty simple really, parents just take more responsibility and get involved in school governance.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I'm glad your expectations and approach remain firmly grounded in reality in this trying time. Did you find a lawyer for you highly realistic plan?

Ooh oh oh...Did I mention Godwin's Law yet?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So pretty much what I am reading is that since the military does it, we should not question it cause that is disrespectful to them...

Like the principal said, this is not a military school.

I don't necessarily have an issue with the cut but it seems for the out cry of "shaming" the boy the turn around is to shame the school and the principal.

She made a judgement call on the hair cut, maybe she got it wrong, does that mean she is not a troop hating American?

Also, I don't see a fade in that cut, pretty sure a high and tight has a fade.
edit on thFri, 27 Mar 2015 11:21:40 -0500America/Chicago320154080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Land of the free..my ass, never in my life have I ever heard such a thing. I guess it's a case of intimidate and bully the sh%t out of em when they are young and hopefully they will be quiet meek little mouses when they become adults.
Ridonkulous.
No individuality or self allowed..CONFORM
edit on 27-3-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Parents getting involved is a double edged sword though .

Allow me to explain .... when I was a Sr in high school was around the time my school system started cracking down on our tshirts . We did not have much in way of dress code , just wear clothes . Pretty much the only rule was " no profanity" on our tshirts . I had (and still do) a huge collection of concert tees , Ozzy , KISS , Alice Cooper , etc; etc; Then one day after ozzy came to town little johnny told his over religious mommy and daddy about all of wearing our super cool Ozzy tees to school the following Monday , mommy and daddy found it offensive because rock and roll is of the Devil and Ozzy is the devils spawn and complained to the board of education so they changed the rules on us . No more concert Tees . Then another set of parents found out many of us wore advertising Tees to school for things they didnt agree with , my favorite being my Joker rolling papers tee, and complained again . Yep , another rule change .

My point being is that someone is going to offended , or dislike what someone else does . We can not continue to have to bend to will of everyone else . It will soon be like an old The Simpson s episode where they all had to wear drab school uniforms , walk in lock step fashion and simply conform .
edit on 27-3-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have fought with schools.

This one I would have fought.

Unless this particular area has a gang that uses that particular hair style ----- I think they're wrong.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Should it be only military siblings are allowed to emulate? Or could any of the children now say that they are emulating a sibling and have their hair they way they want.

They have a rule, she may have misinterpreted it but it is there and the parents agrees to it.

I think both sides are wrong, the school for going as far as suspension or forcing to shave head and the other side 'shaming' this principal as a troop hater.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Stonecutter45

Uniform really isn't a big deal in the UK, though if everyone was used to wearing their own togs, and then get told to wear a blue shirt and tie, then yep, I can appreciate people spitting the dummy over that one.

And school uniform didn't make us conform in behaviour, everyone pushed the rules, took the piss and many got stoned in the toilets at breaktime (heck, dope was cheaper at school than it was in a pub car park... or so I was told by a highly irresponsible friend, cough). Failing that there was always skipping lessons to go sledging, or for the more aggressive - to start a fight with lads from the school down the road, the red-tie wearing wankers.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Damned red tie bastards!

The nerve.

That made me laugh pretty hard. Well done. LOL
edit on 3 27 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's because the haircut is... wait for it... "distracting".
Someone must have some really pathetic control issues in their life if they feel the need to ban a child from school because they don't like the style of his haircut.
What's sad though is most people reading this story will think what happened is wrong, but they won't think twice about someone being discriminated against for having tattoos or dressing in a certain way. Looks are looks, whether it's what a person's hair looks like or the clothing they're wearing. Anyone who thinks any of it means anything is a shallow moron.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Cut and dried then (arf arf).

The school agreed to the rules also, so she can send her kid there and they have no basis to turn him away.... unless they wish to prejudice the kid in some way and get sued.

The whole name of the school thing is just a red herring to me, just apply the policies and procedures and get on with lessons

Exactly, forget the hair issue, if the cut is short and tidy, just get back to educating the kid. He isn't there for fashion advice, he is there to learn. I hope they teach with as must gusto as they use finding fault there.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

So many folk sadly ignore how awesome uniforms are for inter-school rumbles and abusing those swotty turds who went to Grammar School

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So the flip side of this is that we don't have another side. The reporter served us a story with emotional stepping stones that are designed to drive the reader in a particular direction.

Attaching meaning to the story was done by highlighting some fictional irony that the school is named after a war hero. Connect that to a kid who has an older sibling in the service and all that is left is to establish the villain.

Fluff the story with some filler that adds nothing to the story and presto!

My guess it would have taken the reporter 5 seconds to either get the policy from the school or the parent. Alas, we wouldn't be three pages deep in the mired cold depths that we find ourselves in now.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I saw this story this morning and was going to post it as well.

I mean, COME ON! The kid got a haircut...It's not red, purple, pink, blue or green. It's a basic boys haircut and these nut jobs find fault in a basic boys haircut, enough to punish the kid. RIDICULOUS!

WTF is wrong with this country? Why are SO MANY schools and principals acting as if they have the ultimate control of people's children?

I am just SO tired of these stories. Live and let live...It's a freaking haircut for goodness sake!

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Cut and dried then (arf arf).

The school agreed to the rules also, so she can send her kid there and they have no basis to turn him away.... unless they wish to prejudice the kid in some way and get sued.

The whole name of the school thing is just a red herring to me, just apply the policies and procedures and get on with lessons

It's a public school. The only way to "not agree" to send your kid there is either homeschool or find the money to send your kid to a private school - those aren't exactly options for everyone. And if you don't like the public school in your district, there isn't a whole lot you can do except try to move to a different district which also may not be an option.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I have yet to see an acceptable explanation for either how the cut does not fit within the school's dress policy or why she deemed it a distraction. Until then, we can only conclude she didn't like the cut or the reasons why he had it.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

No, I saw a version where the district said it does not outlaw military style cuts. So the boys cut should have been fine.

So the district does not make high and tight unacceptable but the school does? Or is it only this teacher who took advantage of her position to act out on her beliefs?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join