It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eloquent 4th Grader Brings Crowd To Its Feet After She Rebukes Govt School Testing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Why the rant forum? Because it's a rant.

It's her rant and should be ours as well. Why?

Pay close attention to what she says about NOT being ALLOWED to discuss her school work with her parents.

www.activistpost.com...
On Mar 17, tiny nine-year-old Sydney Smoot rocked the Brooksville Elementary Schoolhouse when she boldly ripped into the new Florida Standards Assessment. She brought the Board to its feet with a standing ovation after a two-minute lambasting, complete with fitting gesticulation. Take special note about orders that the students cannot disclose what they see on the test to their parents.

And to show how far down the Draconian hole we are going (Or up if you wish), this is what is being uncovered about Common Core.

publishing company Pearson was recently caught spying on students' social media accounts to make sure none of the Common-Core-crazy slipped out. All under the guise of "security," of course. In actuality, these bullies really, really don't want parents to know what's happening.

Spying on kids, YOUR kids, OUR kids...This is where we have landed with common core.

If you think your kids are their own people and that YOU have the right to guide YOUR little ones as you see fit, think again.

They are property and a commodity and are being groomed for what TPTB need them to be as they grow up, learn to consume, obey and NEVER question their roles in society or as a human.

How did we get here?

Jude11

edit on 27-3-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Applause for that little girl.

I thank God my kids are out of school, otherwise I would be forced to homeschool.

S&F for you OP.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Absolutely awesome!

It seems the younger generation is waking up after all...

Too many people automatically assume children are stupid to the ways of the world, when it's usually quite the opposite. They see the world differently than we do and they tend to take in some things that we have become complacent, jaded, cynical, apathetic, etc. to. Most are not afraid to call it like they see it because they haven't learned how to use their "PC Speak Filters" as well as we have. That's a bonus but it is treated as something that needs to be stamped out.

My daughter only has one year left of public school. If it were any longer, I would likely have her homeschooled because of the stuff that goes on (or doesn't) in those "institutions". They were crap 20 years ago. They've managed to come even further off the rails since then. The children are seeing it, a lot of parents are seeing it... Hopefully one day enough will see it that it will force a change for the better.

We wound up here because we live in a society that requires both parents to work 60 hours a week just to survive. That leaves very little time with their children and for many years blind trust was placed in the school system that they were doing the right things. We didn't stop to think about the ramifications of the government having more access to your children than you do. It crept up on us while we were trying to achieve the American Dream. Now we have a nightmare.
edit on 3/27/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I have to assume that kid is only upset about it because her parents are- so +1 to good parenting.

I could never be a parent in todays society. I remember school- what a sick joke.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I have to assume that kid is only upset about it because her parents are- so +1 to good parenting.

I could never be a parent in todays society. I remember school- what a sick joke.

Kids are their own people. They develop weird little behaviours that are often completely distinct from their parents. Not saying they're all weird... but speaking from my own experience. My daughter's a weirdo, but in a way that is completely distinct from my own weirdoness.

She has ideas of her own, and the responsible thing for me to do as a parent is to either help her to fully understand and develop those ideas, or to help her figure out what is wrong with the idea.

You don't have to assume that she's only upset because her parents are... I would think she likely had less-well formed ideas of why she was unhappy with her school experience, and I would hope that's where her parents helped by discussing it with her, giving her an opportunity to share her idea with others, and helping her to polish the presentation.

Still +1 to good parenting... but +1 to the kid, too. It takes guts to go against the grain.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Applause for that little girl.

I thank God my kids are out of school, otherwise I would be forced to homeschool.

S&F for you OP.

Home schooling is the only way to ensure that kid are getting an education and not just indoctrination.

Plus we can teach them a lot more life skills that they really need to survive their future.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

I'm pretty sure that she's upset in her own right that she can't talk to her parents about her school work.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hit a nerve here, I retired as a teacher 20 years ago when all this crap started. Towards the end, paperwork like teaching to a test downgraded my ability to even cover my subject area and it got worse over the years. Then the government got into the curriculum even further.

I came in after summer and was told I could no longer teach biology in the middle school. I had been also a teacher in biology in high school for a number of years. New rules were applied and I lacked one credit point so I was reassigned, all teaching of biology was dropped from the program and I was forced to teach biomes. This is an advanced niche subject suitable for college. Further, there were no texts and I was instructed to get my material from Ann Arbor, 250 miles away, what a cluster.

Rules tightened the next year. I was again reassigned to teach physical science. Again no program was provided and no textbooks, I had to wing it the whole year. I had not taught this subject in my whole career, but knew biology to the point of being able to write my own text books. Point here is the government getting into this denied kids two years of much needed curriculum all for dumb $$s rules. Thank god I was to the point of being able to retire and did so.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I know that was coached, but it was still very impressive. If I were President, I would appear at the White House press conference and say, "If I had a daughter, she would look like Sydney Smoot."

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Good for this girl.

To anyone suspecting that she may not have written this or even just been motivated to ask for help in expressing her concerns...

I can tell you that as a member of one of the generations to first go through standardized state tests back in the early 90s...We all thought this. We may not have been as bright as this girl, but we sure as hell felt the same way. Our teachers were not forced to teach to the test back then, and the tests didnt have much bearing on private schools like mine. BUT they were mandatory and a pain in the ass. We usually had a month of prep for it, followed by a week of testing.

Many of us, myself included would just put C for everything or make pictures out of the answer sheets.

Common core is yet another failure of the "type" of government we have. This type of leadership better enjoy itself because its playbook is getting played out and our kids arent going to humor them like we have. We were the last generation of "nice" citizens. You only encourage us and validate our concerns.

edit on 3 27 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm going to have to share this with some friends. It's just one more thing that makes me think that homeschooling is the best way to go.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

By Jingo, she's bit on the bright side - she pretty much eviscerated the entire subject. Maybe she could be employed overhaul the system?

I'm horrified by what she said about signing what seemed to amount to a non disclosure agreement bout her exams in some manner. Massively, horribly unethical and the best advert for home-schooling kids in the US that I have heard so far.

Bloody disgusting.

a reply to: tadaman

Private school? Did you wear a red tie? I could still get the gang together, be warned

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I'm going to have to share this with some friends. It's just one more thing that makes me think that homeschooling is the best way to go.

I don't think there is any doubt that it's the way to go.

IF...And that's a big IF...The parents can actually handle the curriculum or have the means to hire those that can. Otherwise we have a different problem to take care of.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I know that was coached, but it was still very impressive. If I were President, I would appear at the White House press conference and say, "If I had a daughter, she would look like Sydney Smoot."

She could have been coached and I would agree with it.

She was the impact needed to get the message across so as a hammer to a nail...

She is also old enough and intelligent enough (judging by her elocution) to know what she was delivering.

IMO

Jude11

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

haha!
No our ties were Tartan /plaid with yellow shirts. Great choice right!? We did not wear red ties my blue shirt comrade.

EDIT TO ADD:
I wonder if its even legally binding for a minor to sign something. I dont think a child can consent to anything legally.

edit on 3 27 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: skalla

haha!
No our ties were Tartan /plaid with yellow shirts. Great choice right!? We did not wear red ties my blue shirt comrade.

EDIT TO ADD:
I wonder if its even legally binding for a minor to sign something. I dont think a child can consent to anything legally.

It's not legal. And it shouldn't be legal for a school to tell the kids what they can or can't discuss with their parents.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

My opinion, too.

I would be proud to be related in any way to that little girl.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I pray every day that I will never get a girl pregnant. How does one fulfill their duties as a parent in this atmosphere? I mean without becoming another Ruby Ridge type incident?

new topics

top topics

join