It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queen Araweelo of Somalia And Amazons In General:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
In what has got to be among the most painful era of man-kind, and I mean men as in males! stood a towering figure of a rather beautiful woman ever held the reigns of power, her story reads in fact like something right out of Greek mythology however she was all too real, as everyone should know Amazons were not a myth they did in fact existed in Eurasia and in Africa as well.

Now there have been in Libya a number of races of women who were warlike and greatly admired for their manly vigour; for instance, tradition tells us of the race of the Gorgons, against whom, as the account is given, Perseus made war, a race distinguished for its valour; for the fact that it was the son of Zeus,the mightiest Greek of his day, who accomplished the campaign against these women, and that this was his greatest Labour may be taken by any man as proof of both the pre-eminence and the power of the women we have mentioned. Furthermore, the manly prowess of those of whom we are now about to write presupposes an amazing pre-eminence when compared with the nature of the women of our day.K

We are told, namely, that there was once on the western parts of Libya, on the bounds of the inhabited world, a race which was ruled by women and followed a manner of life unlike that which prevails among us. For it was the custom among them that the women should practise the arts of war and be required to serve in the army for a fixed period, during which time they maintained their virginity; then, when the years of their service in the field had expired, they went in to the men for the procreation of children, but they kept in their hands the administration of the magistracies and of all the affairs of the state. 2 The men, however, like our married women, spent their days about the house, carrying out the orders which were given them by their wives; and they took no part in military campaigns or in office or in the exercise of free citizenship9 in the affairs of the community by virtue of which they might become presumptuous and rise up against the women. 3 When their children were born the babies were turned over to the men, who brought them up on milk and such cooked foods as were appropriate to the age of the infants; and if it happened that a girl was born, its breasts were seared that they might not develop at the time of maturity; for they thought that the breasts, as they stood out from the body, were no small hindrance in warfare; and in fact it is because they have been deprived of their breasts that they are called by the Greeks Amazons.

penelope.uchicago.edu...*.html
There in the Greek myths a Queen Myrina who conquered much of the world from West Africa to Turkey including the Atlanteans, skipping Kmt with whom they made a deal and Kush with whose lands were considered too scared, in art both the Eurasian Amazons and Africans were shown in Persian gear.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Memnon the Ethiopian who fought Achilles at Troy had some connections to them
as pictured above.
Now for a more historical Amazon Queen,according to some account she hated constraints placed upon on her because of her sex, she was apprently raped while returning from a hunt after dark a non traditional female role

Legend has it that the revulsion Arawelo developed that night against her rapist, marked the beginning of her legendary cruelty against the entire male population in Buraan and the neighbouring villages where she was to reign over. Soon after her father’s death, who had no sons to be inheritors of the wealth and power, Arawelo, being the eldest daughter ascended the throne. Arawelo was a powerful woman, with a muscular build. Her short jet-black hair was often tied back, enhancing her facial features and elongated neck. Shortly after being crowned, the Queen embarked on a mission of ‘domesticating’ and ‘controlling’ the men – whom she considered feral. She was to accomplish this mission by castrating the male population of the village. She exercised her powers to avenge her rape and humiliation as well the rape of other countless women in and around Buraan. With a dedicated army of loyal subjects comprising of sturdy women, she succeeded in capturing and castrating the vast majority of the males in the villages. The few that were left at the Queen’s mercy were there for the prime purpose of breeding only.

shafisaid.wordpress.com...
In this^ account Islamic era names cropped in the legend but it goes into more details.

In Somali mythology, there is an abundance of tales about men and women who defied cultural traditions or acquired heroic and saintly status amongst the masses of the Somali Peninsula.

Araweello (Queen) Araweello was a legendary queen in ancient Somalia who is said to have subdued all men in her kingdom and promoted matriarchal values in stark contrast with the traditional patriarchal society of Somalia.

Wiilwaal (King) Wiil Waal was a legendary king in ancient Somalia known for his bravery and skills in battle.

Bucur Bacayr (King) Bucur Bacayr was a legendary king of the Yibirs in northern Somalia.

Arawelo , also known as Araweelo, Araweilo, and Arraweelo, was a Pagan Somali Queen in 15 AD.

Arawelo was a queen who ruled over what is today known as Somalia. Her throne was passed down by an unknown next of kin, though many version of her suggested that it was her niece, Araxsan. She was the first born of three daughters and natural heir to the dynasty. Like many female rulers, Arawelo fought for female empowerment; she believed society should be based on a matriarchy. Arawelo was known to castrate male prisoners and she is one of the earliest female rulers in the world who was also a figure of female empowerment. The queen was well known throughout Africa, and the Queen of Sheba was said to send gifts in the form of gold coins as a congratulatory gesture, although she is usually placed in the 10th century BC.

The queen was well known for defying gender roles, and in the case of the Buraan droughts (before she was queen) she and a team of women prevented the town from starvation and migration by hunting and fetching water. Arawelo's husband objected to her self-ascribed role as the breadwinner to all of society, as he thought women should be restrict themselves to merely domestic duties about the house and leave everything else to men. In response, Arawelo demanded that all women across the land abandon their womanly role in society, then she started hanging men by their testicles. The strike was successful in forcing men into the role of child rearing and to create a role reversal in society.

Arawelo saw women as natural peacekeepers so in her eyes a role reverse was necessary. Growing up she noticed that men were more often once instigators, participators and conductors of war. She did not only fight for the liberation of women in feudal society but for the dominance of women as she saw them as better, more efficient leaders
www.ummah.com...

Today her name is popular among Somali women,even the men held her in high esteem .
edit on 27-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I get the part about the breasts because my wife's hobby was archery and she was ever complaining about getting her wonderful assets (in my eyes) 'out of the damn way'.

I understood that many societies around the world were matriarchal initially when the moon was worshipped and we went onto patriarchal societies once the sun was worshipped.

This history is great to read though and that Queen sounds amazing. When one goes back to Perseus's era its so ancient. Are we better off as patriarchal though I wonder?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
"then she started hanging men by their testicles."

O.o
It hurts just reading that

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Well, it's a bit niche but some pay good money for stuff like that.

Cool thread btw spider

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: Spider879

I get the part about the breasts because my wife's hobby was archery and she was ever complaining about getting her wonderful assets (in my eyes) 'out of the damn way'.

I understood that many societies around the world were matriarchal initially when the moon was worshipped and we went onto patriarchal societies once the sun was worshipped.

This history is great to read though and that Queen sounds amazing. When one goes back to Perseus's era its so ancient. Are we better off as patriarchal though I wonder?

Yes sometime ago I made a thread that suggested that before there were Gods there were Goddesses that they perhaps discovered the first phase of agriculture because while the men were out hunting they foraged around the caves or dwelling for eatable plants and fruits, then some enterprising female started make small gardens around their dwellings, for to this day women especially in traditional Africa make up a good chunk of farming and women all over the world are primarily keepers of small gardens today.

My opinion the first gods were goddesses,early man could not understand they had anything to do with child birth,even in the animal world it's always the females who produced life,yes we men had our urges but did we connect what we did to birth of new life?? especially nine month later?? I think not so for a second we were in awe,until we began to connect the dots,when we found out we had something to do with creating life we demand parity, sooner or later because of our upper body strength and hunting skills we demand superiority and for females it was all down hill from there, also I believe women are the first keepers of time ,mainly because of their monthly periods, they may also be responsible for agriculture.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kinda weird quoting my self but pay this thread a visit when you have time.
edit on 27-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join