It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Sitting Down All Day Is Really Bad For You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The short video below lays it out for us--our sedentary lifestyles are detrimental to our physical health. Human beings are not built to sit all day at desks and kiosks, or in our cars, etc. As much as we like to think we're so superior to other animals, we must remember that we are in fact still animals ourselves. We are still wild underneath our faux finishes of civility and "progress", and suppressing our active nature through our vocations and (poor) choices of recreation is bad for us.

Not that this is news to anyone. If you sit all day long and don't get any exercise, you're probably going to be overweight and have myriad health problems as you age. We pretty much all know this. The video lays it out physiologically for us, so we can have that "science ammo" behind our justifications for why we don't watch TV, wake up at dawn to go hiking, and the like.

I find the video's "solutions" rather laughable, however, as it doesn't address the overarching social, economic, and moral implications of all of this. Stand up and stretch. Go jogging. You won't find them talking about how exercise (yes, moving your body and sweating) has become a peripheral feature of human life. It's something people do for a specific purpose (getting toned up, preventing illness, injury rehab, whatever), and isn't woven into the fabric of daily life.

It's a sign we're heading in the wrong direction, and have been since we stopped foraging for food and instead began farming (probably for another thread).

Anyway, enough of my musings. Without further ado, I hope you enjoy and learn something. It's a good video:

Raw Story (Yeah, yeah... I know.)

The reality is this: It’s not 1965 anymore, and scientists are beginning to realize that office desk jobs are bad for your health. While it may take some time for companies to catch onto this, it’s better for you to take action now on your own before the damage is done.

Ultimately, our bodies are built for motion, not being couch potatoes. We have to give our bodies what it really needs: physical activity as much as we can.

Again, it's kinda common sense. But we seem to have lost most of that.

This thread also has some fact-filled links for you.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I couldnt work at a job where I had sit all day. Im always on my feet, and they hurt sometimes, but at least Im always moving.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

That's why the West seems to have so many health problems. We have depression, cancer, loneliness, and many other issues. If people can be more active then many of these problems would have been reduced.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

That's why the West seems to have so many health problems. We have depression, cancer, loneliness, and many other issues. If people can be more active then many of these problems would have been reduced.

The lifestyle is sold to us as "progress". Just let the machines do all the real work and we'll sit at computers and monitor the whole thing (until they replace that with machines). It's a lifestyle of leisure, comfort and wealth, wherein humanity will be free to explore their own interests and talents, unburdened by the necessity of labor.

Bulls#. And it's killing us, too.

ETA: All this being said, it's important to note that our occupations and lifestyles aren't any more or less unhealthy than what you'd find in other countries. Sweat shops (or even slave labor) are commonplace in "developing" countries. And that certainly isn't healthy either.

Our abuses of ourselves are a little more subtle, I suppose.
edit on 3/27/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Read up on a few of these article in the past six months or so. One was saying the importance of standing up at least once every half hour when having to sit during work etc.,if not practiced already.
edit on 27-3-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I started using the pedometer on my phone and was pretty surprised how little I actually walk all day. Checking it every day motivates me, and it's funny how much of a difference simple changes to your lifestyle can make.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I get so depressed when I visit family in suburbia. All they #ing do is sit inside watching TV. They might take a vacation somewhere once a year to Florida where they will sit inside an air conditioned hotel room and watch TV. I don't understand it, but if this is how most Americans live I understand why suicide rate is so high. We got mountains mother#ers! Go shred them! Get out and explore the planet! #!

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I started using the pedometer on my phone and was pretty surprised how little I actually walk all day. Checking it every day motivates me, and it's funny how much of a difference simple changes to your lifestyle can make.

I hit 17.3 miles at work the other day. I've also worked behind a desk for the better part of a decade.

Take a wild guess which one "feels better". I made more money behind the desk, but hated almost every minute of it, both mentally and physically. Some people can do it (although it may, as the video suggests, eventually catch up with them). I'm not one of them.

But yeah, simple changes at the very least. Walk to the store instead of drive. Things like that. We all have the time.

Manual override.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

We are 70-80ish % water. Look what happens to water that sits around all day, it goes stale and rank.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Look to the chimps (humans are near cousins to chimps and bonobos). They move, they run, they lay around, they move, run, eat, lay around, move, run. Both moving enough and laying down during the day are missing in the human primate. Both very important.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Great OP, not just the quotes and links.

F&S&

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: isthisreaI
I get so depressed when I visit family in suburbia. All they #ing do is sit inside watching TV. They might take a vacation somewhere once a year to Florida where they will sit inside an air conditioned hotel room and watch TV. I don't understand it, but if this is how most Americans live I understand why suicide rate is so high. We got mountains mother#ers! Go shred them! Get out and explore the planet!

Yeah. I used to live in PA, and at any time I could go hiking, mountain biking, enjoying beautiful nature, etc etc. I was in good shape and happy.
And then I made the mistake of moving to Florida for college. This is the most depressing ****ing place I've ever been.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: isthisreaI

We got mountains motherf#! Go shred them! Get out and explore the planet! F#!

This, for whatever reason, reminds me of a quote from Tecumseh:

"They came to us hungry and they cut off the hands of our brothers who gave them corn. We gave them rivers full of fish and they poisoned our fountains. We gave them mountains and valleys full of game, and in return they gave our great warriors rum, trinkets and a grave. The shades of our slaughtered fathers can find no rest, their eyes can see no herds in the hills of light in the hunting grounds of the dead."

Our priorities as a civilization are so far out of alignment with natural processes, it's no wonder the whole thing is on the verge of total collapse (which I look forward to). We don't enjoy nature as a part of it. We manipulate, control, and dominate it.

So we can sit on our fat, lazy asses, comfortably ruining our bodies (and our planet) with sloth and greed.
edit on 3/27/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Agreed. In the summer of 2014, The Economist magazine had a cover story on this subject. The blurb on their cover summarizes its message: Stand Up! Sitting kills.

7 years ago, when I started noticing eye problems, I changed to a macrobiotic diet. Whole grains, lots of vegetables, and some fruit now and then. The eye problems vanished in 6 months. I also notice that nowadays my legs never get tired when I stand and work in the kitchen and elsewhere. This year I will put together a treadmill workdesk setup for my computer.

new topics

join