It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenyan Teenager Turns Schools Feces Into Clean Safe Energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This really is a great story! What a great idea, especially from such a young mind. I have always wondered why human waste had not been used like this before. I mean, it is full of methane gases. This is great news also for developing third world countries. If everyone started doing this we could not only clean up the air we breathe, but get away from our reliance on other fuel sources as well. However, I severely doubt the energy companies would let this kind of thing take off. Next thing you know, our own waste will be considered property of the government, just watch.

Mwasaru and his friends proposed to build a Human Waste Bioreactor (HWB) that could not only harvest all the waste from students living in the dorm, but also organic waste from the kitchen, cow dung and slashing grass to create biogas for cooking fuel.

Grist explains that the HWB is “an underground chamber [which] holds the human, animal, and kitchen excrement, while microorganisms go to work breaking down the muck. The process releases biogas, a source of renewable energy comprised mostly of methane, the same as the fossilf uel natural gas that powers most non-electric stoves in the U.S. The gas is contained in the HWB, ready to use as fuel.”

Read More: www.trueactivist.com... ia

www.trueactivist.com... ia
edit on 26-3-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Beyond Thunderdome...I love it and again, I suspect there is as much available raw material for fuel from all kinds of feces that all we would have to do is make sure everyone gets something to eat....it might be the answer!

I'll be damned if Sh-t is 'nt turning out to be worth quite alot of late, shux gold, silver and other precious metals...now cooking fuel...what next?

* poop found to create world peace, news at 7!

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

I'm not really getting what's so new about this, since all they're doing is adding human waste to a conventional biogas generator (which usually run in part on farm animal poopie already) - but either way good on him for figuring out a novel way to deal with their sanitation problems

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
This really is a great story! What a great idea, especially from such a young mind. I have always wondered why human waste had not been used like this before. I mean, it is full of methane gases. This is great news also for developing third world countries. If everyone started doing this we could not only clean up the air we breathe, but get away from our reliance on other fuel sources as well. However, I severely doubt the energy companies would let this kind of thing take off. Next thing you know, our own waste will be considered property of the government, just watch.

Mwasaru and his friends proposed to build a Human Waste Bioreactor (HWB) that could not only harvest all the waste from students living in the dorm, but also organic waste from the kitchen, cow dung and slashing grass to create biogas for cooking fuel.

Grist explains that the HWB is “an underground chamber [which] holds the human, animal, and kitchen excrement, while microorganisms go to work breaking down the muck. The process releases biogas, a source of renewable energy comprised mostly of methane, the same as the fossilf uel natural gas that powers most non-electric stoves in the U.S. The gas is contained in the HWB, ready to use as fuel.”

It's already being done in many places in Africa as well as India and Nepal. There are social enterprises and companies that specialize in this.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Holy s*t!

I love when youth exercise mental power and collective engineering to create or invent useful ideas that become a reality.

Who knew our waste could fuel! Smells funny I know, but it works

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: thesmokingman

It's already being done in many places in Africa as well as India and Nepal. There are social enterprises and companies that specialize in this.

I sure would have thought there were, but why is it not being used everywhere? Worldwide, not just developing nations or just a few companies here or there..everywhere?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Good on him for doing his part.
But this technology has been used for decades.
There are many methane processors using waste products in Europe.
Buses etc, are already powered by poo.
This is not new.....of course a big deal in the third (fourth) World tho.
The reason it is not Everywhere in the First World, is not because it cant be done or there is no tech, its because the Energy Cartel is run by the Petrochemical industry the World over.
Every city Dump, produces methane, which can easily be harvested and power our World.....but we are all controlled by the $ people.

new topics

top topics

join